Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Binge Eater's Group Support Journal page 3

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    I made it through clean today and am going to bed early. I was in tears a little while ago when I realized that I don't really fit into the clothes that I was wearing to school last spring. I can't even wear a skirt or dress because my bad ankle (circulation issues) looks like crap and will definitely get the attention of my new students.
    Hugs, Paula. You have my sympathy and empathy. Well done on getting through today - keep on going, girl.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Thanks Sigi, I will look into it. Kessler was actually interviewed for the piece on 60 Minutes.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    So yesterday...

The icing was hidden in the back of the freezer, calling to me. So I started in on it. I am thinking the normal thoughts "why do I do this to myself" type of stuff, when at about the 4th spoonful I just thought "this is idiotic" and dumped the rest into the trash. Technically I was saving it for my daughter, but realistically I knew I was going to end up eating all or most of it. So while it started as a binge it was a short one.

Today is a new day.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Fascinating book with amazing insights into commercial food production (I don't know how he got all those industry insiders to openly tell him what they did). Jaw-dropping stuff.
    Back before I met my boyfriend, dating taught me that people will really open up and tell you their dirtiest secrets if you just don't look shocked, smile and act like it's all fascinating. It still amazes me that people will actually tell you really horrible things they did, almost with a sense of pride, if you just don't put on your "you disgust me" face. So... yeah, I can see them telling him stuff like that, especially if they had some idea of anonymity.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    What drives me crazy about food additives is the 'secret' aspect of them. When people are buying food, they are just thinking about 'food', not 'food + addictive substances'. You don't ASSUME that 'food' will have something added to it whose purpose is not 'food' but 'addiction'. And yet, that's just what they are getting.

Not everyone is going to be educated about what is in their food. And I don't think they should need to be, either. Food should be simple.

But, I am very grateful for mainstream programs like '60 Minutes' bringing this out. Knowledge is power.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    So what do YOU all do when you can forsee a binge coming on. For example: today I am home with a sick kid (I am home), I am also not feeling so hot (feeling sick), TTOM (need I say more), did not sleep much over the past couple days, sick kid (I am tired).
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    I have had success with the following...sometimes.

I drink a hot beverage. Coffee with heavy cream and stevia is my go to drink. I also love bouillon for this purpose.

I clean or organize something. Anything that gives me a handful of stuff to deal with.

I take a nap.

I eat something Primal. (Smoothie anyone?)

I write down my thoughts and feelings in my paper journal.

I take a teaspoon of L glutamine powder under the tongue.

I ride my elliptical trainer or dance around to loud music.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

snoops is online now Senior Member
    I am also a bad binge eater. Everyday I wake up determined to eat well. BY 4 or 5 o'clock I am pouring a glass of wine and eating crap through till bedtime. I go to bed with heartburn, depressed, guilty, and cursing myself determined to do better tomorrow. Sleep and repeat! I guess the only plus to it all is I have stopped eating grains and I know thats a biggie but it seems that at first it was great and cravings were gone but now that its been some months I am craving again but binging on non grain stuff. Thought it was the answer but I've just replaced my grain binges with cheese and nut ones. Dang

I have broken the cycle twice in the past 6 months and plan to do it again for the next 10 days. I do liquids only. Smoothies with protein powder and juices(mostly greens with some fruit). My caloric intake is around 1200-1500 cals a day. Protein around 50g. and carbs under 50-100g(closer to 100 if I have my almond milk, date and banana smoothie).

The heart burn stops. After a day or two the cravings stop. I know this is not a reasonable way of eating but I just need to stop sometimes and give my body a break. Maybe once I start eating again this time, I can be more in control. Sometimes I am so scared that I am hurting my body irrepairably.

I have a moderate anxiety disorder (not medicated) that I have found worsened since I ditched the grains. I read the other day that some fat people have less dopamine receptors and therefore need to eat more carbs to feel good or not anxious. And the carbs act just like opiates on the brain as shown by PET scans.

I don't know what to replace those carbs with to give me that feeling. Lifting weights does it but only for a couple hours. If I am one of those with fewer dopamine receptors am I stuck feeling this way forever if I don't eat grains.

Thanks for reading. Its reasuring to see other people with the same issues. Because you know this is all hidden from others. I would not eat this way infront of people

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Hey snoops.

What is your carb level? I find that having 1/2 a sweet potato and one serving of berries plus some starchy veg helps me get enough carbs without too much sugar which might trigger a binge.. Some people have found that they cannot go under 50g carb without anxiety or depression issues.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

snoops is online now Senior Member
    I have a cup of berries in my morning protein smoothie. Which is maybe what helps me to get to the late afternoon without bingeing. I probably need to try to get something into me midafternoon (after this next 10 days liquid fast). Normally I would just have some sliced meat and cheese and nuts and maybe a green juice for lunch, so pretty low carb. Thanks for making me think of that.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast