Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scotch page

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member

Scotch

Shop Now
    I know from all of the "is alcohol alright?" threads that there are some scotch drinkers here. I have recently started drinking scotch. Ive had black label (was bad. Assuming this is the Smirnoff of scotch. Very popular among ppl that don't know what good alcohol is and listen to commercials) anyway. Glenlivit was ok. I like glenfidich after the ice cubes melt away some of the burn. I am looking for something else to try along those lines or what my next step up in price range would be.

I drink the green fidich. Never tried the red bottle.

peril is offline Senior Member
    The Macallan, Laphraoig, Lagavullin, ...
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Alcohol actually has the highest metabolic ration of anything the human body consumes with calories. This means that we burn the majority of the calories we consume from it as energy and actually store very little of it.

It's the combination of other foods (carb and fat heavy meals especially), that mess with the metabolism of alcohol that largely result in the weight gain found within. But the only way for us to reap the benefits of the high metabolic rate of alcohol (would largely result in weight loss) is to consume no, or very few calories from other sources. This would lead to nutrient deprivation of course, because there are pretty much no benefits (besides the energy content) found in alcohol.

Ah, the conflicting science of alcohol.

Also, when I drink my scotch, I like it cold, but not wet. I use those little things (I think they're called scotch rocks or something), that you freeze in the freezer and then put in your drink, but won't melt in the drink.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    The Macallan, Laphraoig, Lagavullin, ...
    Yep

Also Bowmore and Talisker

I like the really dark peaty malts espically the Islay ones, not to everyone's taste, quite differnt from Glenfidic which is a highland I think, lwhich are lighter and more floral whiskys
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    And Dalwhinnie and Bruichladdich and Jura and Sheep Dip and Highland Park ... I like an Islay malt (peaty and dry) rather than a Speyside (heavier and sweetish), and I like to drink them either neat or with water, but not with ice :-)

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    All very good scotch's listed so far, but give the Glenfiddich 15 in the red bottle a try, you won't be disappointed. I'm also a fan of Caol Isla.

sixpack-rc is offline Senior Member
    Balvenie Doublewood 12 year. I also have been getting into Irish Whiskeys. I like the Red Breast and the Tyrconnell. I don't like the peaty ones.

~rc

Picaro is offline Member
    If you go for Bruichladdich and also MacAllan, You will get a good gauge of peaty versus sweeter. You can have a point of reference from there, but imo both are delicious.

madog is offline Senior Member
    currently on Aberlour 10 year old, recent ones were Old Pulteney and Glenlivet, all with a splash of water never ice, that was my grandad's advice as you'll never wake up with a hangover

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oliviascotland View Post
    Highland Park
    My favourite. But I do have nearly all of the others mentioned here in my collection.

I had a distiller tell me that one should put a drop of the water the whisky is made from in it to release aromas and more flavour. If not available, distilled water. 'Fraid I usually add a drop of Tapola. Conny Sewer who knew all about scotch told me that whisky is like wine in that there is a suitable one for every course of a meal and every occasion.

I just drink single malts because I like them.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast