Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scotch page 2

Primal Fuel
    Old poultney is a good one and Oban as well! Not as peaty as talisker or lagavulin!

springnr is offline Senior Member

onalark is offline Senior Member
    I've two bottles at home (Highland Queen Majesty, Auchentosha), and one bottle of Johnnie Walker Red at work, because if I'm drinking at work, I'm probably not sipping.

Alas, since I am expecting again, the scotch is collecting dust. My husband is not a fan. I am the scotch drinker in the house, and since I tend to sip it, the whisky level is slow to go down 'round here.

A coworker brought in a bottle of Laphroaig this week and poured me a bare dash. Whooooheeee. Smoky/peaty as a compost bin, but in a good way! I could only taste a few drops before I had to give up on it. Will definitely return to that brand when I'm no longer incubating and hypersensitive to smells.

I got a set of whisky glasses and whisky stones (along with the Auchentosha) as a wedding gift. I'm not super impressed by the stones. I'll be honest; I like to make my whisky last, so I "open it up" with a bit of water, or throw in some ice. I know that's sacrilege to some, but I gotta be me.

Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    I've two bottles at home (Highland Queen Majesty, Auchentosha), and one bottle of Johnnie Walker Red at work, because if I'm drinking at work, I'm probably not sipping.

Alas, since I am expecting again, the scotch is collecting dust. My husband is not a fan. I am the scotch drinker in the house, and since I tend to sip it, the whisky level is slow to go down 'round here.

A coworker brought in a bottle of Laphroaig this week and poured me a bare dash. Whooooheeee. Smoky/peaty as a compost bin, but in a good way! I could only taste a few drops before I had to give up on it. Will definitely return to that brand when I'm no longer incubating and hypersensitive to smells.

I got a set of whisky glasses and whisky stones (along with the Auchentosha) as a wedding gift. I'm not super impressed by the stones. I'll be honest; I like to make my whisky last, so I "open it up" with a bit of water, or throw in some ice. I know that's sacrilege to some, but I gotta be me.

Onalark, someone famous once said, " There is a special place in hell for thos who spoil a good scotch!!" lol

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    I'm a big fan of whisky (we don't refer to it as scotch where I'm from).
    I started out with Laphroaig, it was the first I tried that tasted good and so I developed from there. So most of what I have is Islay, but I've expanded to include other types, of course

Oh, and I've always preferred to drink it neat. At different tastings we have been encouraged to try adding water, and I never seem to favour that taste.

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    I tend towards the Speysides rather than the Islays. The Speyside malts are smoother and mellower. I like Laphroig, but it's justa little too smoky for me.

We get a bottle of single cask malt from any one of the many tiny obscure distilleries every quarter as part of a subscription. It's great tasting all the different varieties.

That sounds like a wonderful idea, don't know if that's available here though.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    I had some Famous Grouse once...the whole bottle at once and only once.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Springbank, Laphroig Talisker I am definitely an Islay man but I also enjoy Old Pultney, Highland Park etc.

Oh and not only is it drunk neat but also blindfolded least I drool at the sight of the amber liquor and dilute it.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast