Thread: 30 Days Of Eating Primal - Results page

Cataclysmic is offline Junior Member

30 Days Of Eating Primal - Results

Shop Now
    For the month of May I ate 100% Primal / Paleo. Wish I'd known about this forum at the time!

Anyway, first post here so I thought I'd share the results of my 100% paleo month.

Ah, one more thing before I do - let me just justify the fact that I'm using the words "primal" and "paleo" interchangeably when referring to diet: I know there's been a lot of discussion about paleo VS primal (I searched this forum) and I also read this article which explains the difference between the Primal Diet and Loren Cordain's Paleo Diet which I was following at the time. That article mentions that the 2 main differences are the views on saturated fats and artificial sweeteners. But actually, in Loren Cordain's latest book (The Paleo Answer) he has reversed his opinion on those 2 issues. So as far as I can tell, the two diets are now essentially the same thing. But I expect you all to tell me that I'm wrong about that

Alright, on to my results:

Weight Before: 154 lbs
    Weight After: 150 lbs

Body Fat Before: about 12.5%
    Body Fat After: about 11.5%

Blood Pressure Before: 146/86 (average of 3 tests/per day for the week before paleo)
    Blood Pressure After: 140/81 (average of 3 tests/per day for the last week of paleo)

* Blood pressure measurements are higher than reality – I discovered afterwards that the machine I was using always gives high readings When a doctor checked my blood pressure before & after with a manual machine (more accurate) it was in the 120-130/80 range both times.

Blood Test Before:
    Total Cholesterol: 5.19 mmol/L
    Triglycerides: 0.88 mmol/L
    HDL Cholesterol: 1.43 mmol/L
    LDC Cholesterol: 3.36 mmol/L
    Ratio Of Total/HDL: 3.63

Blood Test After:
    Total Cholesterol: 6.04 mmol/L
    Triglycerides: 0.60 mmol/L
    HDL Cholesterol: 1.65 mmol/L
    LDC Cholesterol: 4.11 mmol/L
    Ratio Of Total/HDL: 3.66

As for how I felt, I noticed very little difference on the Paleo Diet. If anything, I'd say that I had a bit LESS energy on the diet than before & after (I've kept some aspects of the diet since my 30 days, but ditched many of the changes).

If you want a more detailed write up of my experience & what I ate I wrote that up here: A Month Of The Paleo Diet

Interested in any feedback you have - anything I could have done better / differently during my 30 days? Are my results typical?

Justin
    Last edited by Cataclysmic; 08-31-2012 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Typo

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Hi Justin. I think your results are pretty decent after only one month. Your weight is down, your body fat is down and your blood pressure got better although you did mention there may have been a problem with the machine.

I read your blog and it looked like your pre-paleo diet was much better than a conventional standard American diet especially when you were at home. I couldn't find on your blog what your overall goals were with Paleo. (Are you trying to lean out, bulk up, better performance, more energy, or if you are suffering from an ailment). You did mention that your energy levels were lower with Paleo. That is pretty common for people just starting out on Paleo. It normally takes awhile for your energy levels to become consistent and for every person it is different. For me, the first few weeks were a nightmare and I was super sluggish but it changed and normalized quickly therafter. I did notice on your blog that you did crossfit so maybe since you were only doing strict Paleo for 30 days you may have needed more safe carbs or less working out during that time period. I didn't see where your workouts were specified so I am just guessing here.

But overall, your results are pretty good for only 30 days. I wouldn't expect miraculous numbers after only 1 month especially since your pre-paleo diet wasn't too bad like I already mentioned. I would understand if you had a pre-existing condition like IBS, allergies etc. that you would have found much better results. I know for me personally eliminating wheat and conventional dairy completely reversed my allergies and IBS. I was never overweight pre-paleo myself but I do believe that people who have certain ailments seem to do better and stick with paleo longer. I personally don't even like saying that I eat Paleo or Primal but rather I just eat a whole foods diet. I don't eat any more meat on this diet than I did with my previous diet, I still eat a single serving but I do eat a lot more veggies in lieu of the grains. I think for the most part you have that covered whether you are eating Paleo/Primal or your pre/post diet. For myself I wouldn't drink the milk and eat the granola like you do but like I said, I had terrible allergies and you didn't seem to be suffering from that.

Whatever path you choose good luck with it and I enjoyed reading your blog post. Cheers!
    Last edited by Balance; 08-31-2012 at 09:19 PM.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Cataclysmic is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    I couldn't find on your blog what your overall goals were with Paleo. (Are you trying to lean out, bulk up, better performance, more energy, or if you are suffering from an ailment).
    To be honest I didn't have any goals. I was more just curious to see what the effects would be.

You did mention that your energy levels were lower with Paleo. That is pretty common for people just starting out on Paleo. It normally takes awhile for your energy levels to become consistent and for every person it is different. For me, the first few weeks were a nightmare and I was super sluggish but it changed and normalized quickly therafter.
    Great to know Is it normal for energy levels to simply return to pre-paleo levels after a while (which would be fine with me, since my non-paleo energy level is fine I think), or do you/others find that you actually have more energy on the paleo diet eventually? I spoke to one paleo eater just before I started who told me that her energy levels were actually higher on the diet, but I"m not sure if that's typical.

Whatever path you choose good luck with it and I enjoyed reading your blog post. Cheers!
    Thanks, glad you liked it! And thanks very much for your thoughts.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataclysmic View Post

Great to know Is it normal for energy levels to simply return to pre-paleo levels after a while (which would be fine with me, since my non-paleo energy level is fine I think), or do you/others find that you actually have more energy on the paleo diet eventually? I spoke to one paleo eater just before I started who told me that her energy levels were actually higher on the diet, but I"m not sure if that's typical.

I can't speak for everyone because my journey to eating a ketogenic style diet was for different reasons. I always had a good amount of energy before the change in diet. But with Paleo/Primal my energy levels are more consistent throughout the day. During my old diet I would need "pick-me ups" and mini meals/snacks to keep my energy levels up throughout the day, especially if I was doing long bouts of exercise or after basketball games. I don't need those crutches anymore.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.