Thread: Hydrogenated Lard? page

Grokdaddy is offline Senior Member

Hydrogenated Lard?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've got some lard in my house but I just read the ingredients and it says lard and hydrogenated lard. Is that a no no?

zilog is offline Senior Member
    big no-no

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Trans fat is probably the worst food-like substance out there.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    The amount of saturated fat generally dictates how firm a fat is at room temperature. Something like butter, of which about 65% of its fat is saturated, is relatively firm at room temperature. Something like coconut oil, which is around 90% saturated fat, is solid at room temperature. Lard is only around 40% saturated fat, with around 45% of its fat coming from monounsaturated fats and 15% of its fat coming from polyunsaturated fat (heavily-grain fat may exchange more saturated for more polyunsaturated fat unfortunately). Because of the relatively high level of unsaturated fats in lard, it's not particularly firm in room temperature. In order to sell it as a brick in the store on the shelf without refrigeration, they have to hydrogenate it - they essentially convert the polyunsaturated fat into saturated fat - hence TRANS-fat. This firms it up into a butter-like brick.

Real lard is going to be refrigerated because the unsaturated fats will require it to be stored at a lower temperature to stay firm. Toss that crap away - even better, save it as a lubricant. Hydrogenated lard is great to lube up screws before you drill them into pilot holes.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I just make my own tallow. They usually throw out the hard fat anyway, calling it "suet". I make a batch every few months and freeze most of it, using it up one jar at a time. It's usually EXTREMELY cheap. Even from the grass-fed cows I get it from.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    consuming it will kill you instantly.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway