Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Fasting Challenge Next Week page 7

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I've been reading most people here and other places online that consume bulletproof tea/mate/coffee take theirs with a full tablespoon of either coconut oil, butter, or ghee. That would be about 120 calories, give or take. WELL over what you are consuming. If 50 calories is the limit, then one would have to take note!
    I use a TBL each of butter & CO. Around 220 calories. I am not worried about those calories since BP fasting protocol believes that the calories from fat will help with ketone production, and help you enjoy fasting benefits w/o some of the stresses, especially those extra stresses for women & hormonal issues. I am not concerned about child bearing any longer so I am not worried about those stresses either, but BP-IF was a nice bridge to fasting and I don't always need it anymore for the short fasts. But the 50 calories of maybe not necessarily all fat calories has me thinking about the bone broth I just made...so this has had me researching bone broth fasts also. It is so filling, I was amazed, and 40 calories a cup, I think.

A Bad Combination for Women: Intermittent Fasting and Paleo
    Last edited by gopintos; 09-02-2012 at 11:37 AM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    they were trying to replicate the effects of fasting but without the starvation part.
    This is where the fat like from something like BPcoffee would come in. All the benefits w/o feeling like you were starving part.

About your juice fast at 16, when I was 16/17, I lived on oranges. Nothing but oranges (that I can remember) and lots of sit ups.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    gopintos, I've been reading about intermittent fasting lately, and I've been learning that it's not that simple for women. Some women say that their forays into fasting totally ruined their health. Others, however, say that it was an amazing experience and they've never felt better.

While I agree that fasting isn't for everyone, that article makes a blanket statement that fasting is ALWAYS bad for women. I'd argue that it varies based on the woman you're asking. Some will have success, others won't.

I never said that there was anything wrong with bulletproof beverages however, I simply wouldn't call it a true fast. If one is fasting for cleansing purposes, a bulletproof fast would not have the same cleansing effects.

A fast is one thing, a bulletproof fast, another. Two different beasts, with two different overall effects. That is all.

that article makes a blanket statement that fasting is ALWAYS bad for women. I'd argue that it varies based on the woman you're asking. Some will have success, others won't.

A fast is one thing, a bulletproof fast, another. Two different beasts, with two different overall effects. That is all.
    The end of the article outlines why BP dude feels that BP-IF is still okay for woman. With the fat content, the body doesnt have all the other usual stresses of fasting.

I agree with your last sentence. I still call it fasting, but I know it is modified and not an absolute. My goal is fat loss and it was just a natural progression. First coming off CW & SAD and going lower carb, then going even lower carb for ketosis, and then that lead into a natural IF. Then 16-19 hours lead to 24's. It has just been a natural progression and I know fasting has all those other healthy benefits - and I don't THINK I am too broken inside, at least not according to my doctor and the way I feel, so I just want to get the fat off, but I am glad to know I am doing some of the other good stuff at the same time.
    Last edited by gopintos; 09-02-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    I think the BP guy has some good points but following his "protocol" just involves buying too much stuff that you really don't need. For example I don't see why you can't just eat coconut oil instead of some emulsified processed MCT oil. Also, while I agree that cheap coffee can often contain toxic junk, buying EXTREMELY expensive coffee (the BP guy's house brand) isn't necessarily needed either.

This is a personal thing for me, but I have to stay away from caffeine due to my epilepsy. I have been exploring alternatives such as the matein (sp?) in Yerba Mate or the theobromine in brewed cocoa beans. (Anyone who has been reading my journal lately knows that I am head over heals in love with Criu Bru.) These seem to have a good stimulant effect without the jitteriness and after-crash effects of caffeine. They also don't mess with my sleep and are non habit forming. (except that the Crio Bru is so tasty...)

I really think people use caffeine too much. Even Mark who likes his coffee says it should NOT be used as an energy crutch but a lot of Primals disregard that part and say, "yay Mark drinks coffee, it must be Primal, I'll have a whole pot." I think the BP guy has a vested interest in selling you beans and so is promoting the use of something that can be harmful to some people when taken to excess.

That was a really interesting post about women and fasting, gopintos. I like the idea of a fat supplemented fast. I wonder what Bulletproof Crio Bru would taste like. Probably awesome.

I think the BP guy has some good points but following his "protocol" just involves buying too much stuff that you really don't need. For example I don't see why you can't just eat coconut oil instead of some emulsified processed MCT oil. Also, while I agree that cheap coffee can often contain toxic junk, buying EXTREMELY expensive coffee (the BP guy's house brand) isn't necessarily needed either.
    Yal I use CO and coffee that I buy from my Dutch store. I have one cup for breakfast, and if I am doing a longer fast (past lunch) I will have another for lunch but I try to make sure it is before 2pm

Drumroll is offline Senior Member

This is a personal thing for me, but I have to stay away from caffeine due to my epilepsy. I have been exploring alternatives such as the matein (sp?) in Yerba Mate or the theobromine in brewed cocoa beans. (Anyone who has been reading my journal lately knows that I am head over heals in love with Criu Bru.) These seem to have a good stimulant effect without the jitteriness and after-crash effects of caffeine. They also don't mess with my sleep and are non habit forming. (except that the Crio Bru is so tasty...)
    Just as a heads up... Mateine is a myth. It's not an actual substance found in yerba mate. Recent research suggests that mate has a combination of all three central nervous stimulants. It has caffeine (primary stimulant in coffee), theophylline (primary stimulant in tea), AND theobromine (primary stimulant in cocoa). The fact that mate has such a different (and in my opinion wonderful) effect on people compared to coffee is more likely due to the unique combination of stimulants found in the beverage as opposed to any other stimulant beverage known to man.

Have never tried Crio Bru myself, may have to look into it sometime.

Paleobird Guest
    Just as a heads up... Mateine is a myth. It's not an actual substance found in yerba mate. Recent research suggests that mate has a combination of all three central nervous stimulants. It has caffeine (primary stimulant in coffee), theophylline (primary stimulant in tea), AND theobromine (primary stimulant in cocoa). The fact that mate has such a different (and in my opinion wonderful) effect on people compared to coffee is more likely due to the unique combination of stimulants found in the beverage as opposed to any other stimulant beverage known to man.

Have never tried Crio Bru myself, may have to look into it sometime.
    Interesting. Thank you. There do tend to be a lot of conflicting reports out there, some of which are funded by people wanting to sell you yerba mate.

You really *need* to try Crio Bru. It will change your life.

I havent tried (nor heard of even) either of those things before. Unless it was something I just read right over, like a fly-by. It sounds like some good shtuff.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think the reason some women have problems fasting is because they come from SAD as a sugar burner and don't educate themselves about exactly what fasting means. I have always spent the few days before a longer fast making sure I've dropped to ketosis levels with carbs~ it's not so important with something like 24 hrs. but on a longer fast, the changeover from sugar burning to fat burning can be brutal. And yes, I've been there and done it wrong!

Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast