Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Fasting Challenge Next Week page 41

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    It's nice to find another rambler like myself. I always start out meaning to write less, a sentence or two, and pretty soon my words breed like rabbits and my posts end up being really long.....

Just finished the first 24. Was feeling a little hungry, or like I wanted to eat something. The new brand of kraut I picked up at the store I found has sugar in it. At least it tasted pretty sweet when I tried a little bit of it, so I set it back down. I saw my jar of pickles, and sipped some of the extra liquid. Wow! did it taste GOOD! (Must be needing the salt!)

I decided to warm up some chicken broth, so as I was waiting for it to heat, I saw my jar of bacon drippings (yes I know it's not coconut oil...) and I tried a little. WOW! That tasted good too! Not fatty (like it should have) and it was so fun to run into salty little bits of cooked goodness. I added a dollop of that to the chicken broth.

I tried a little butter too while the broth was heating. Interestingly, it immediately triggered cravings for me. I added some to the chicken broth, but I don't think I'll be trying it cold by itself for the rest of the fast.

So here I am, stuffed on broth, fat, and pickle juice (from actual dill pickles) and I am STUFFED! And satiated. Who'd have thunk?

Also, mid-day I found myself lamenting the fact that I started this fast on an evening meal. Mentally, I think it's easier for me to do lunch to lunch, you know, it's only three days, plus two halves. (Or on a 24 hour fast, just half a day, and half a day) lol So at mid-day I thought to myself, okay then. "Self, if you really want to fast until lunchtime, then great, just go an extra 18 hours to lunch the next day and then you'll be good."

I found it fascinating that immediately, my anxiety quieted down and I crazily felt okay going into the 5th day. Just between me and you, no, I don't think I'll go into the fifth day, but I thought it was very, very interesting that it happened like this. The mind is such a powerful thing. Isn't it?

How's that for a ramble? .... Again, only meant to type a line or two...

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lissee View Post
    I found it fascinating that immediately, my anxiety quieted down and I crazily felt okay going into the 5th day. Just between me and you, no, I don't think I'll go into the fifth day, but I thought it was very, very interesting that it happened like this. The mind is such a powerful thing. Isn't it?

How's that for a ramble? .... Again, only meant to type a line or two...
    Enjoyed it. My mind is much more at ease today. I start to get to a place of "I got this!" and then I read something else, and realize, I dont got this. So I dont know that I was stressing per se, but anxiety might be a good word. But I feel much more in control and calm today. I had decided to let go of the "stress" of my weight loss Monday, and I think that helped me to absorb what I read yesterday and see how it applied to me. So I feel at peace today.

So, I didnt eat alot last night and yet I am not really all that hungry but starting to, so reading your post is inspiring in regards to should I press on or eat. I dont want to have any BPC if I am also going to eat in the same day. I want to save my fat for my meals. It wasnt a big deal before when I didnt care about how much fat but only watching calories & carbs. Now that I am watching fat, well it is a game changer for sure. But DH wants to be Gomez for Halloween and if I am going to be Morticia rather than Pugsley or Uncle Fester, I am thinking I should press on and see where that takes me Pickle juice is sounding pretty good! ha
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Good morning everyone, I'm 2 1/2 days in. (Wow I really like the starting in the middle of the day thing. Oh well, now I know.)

Last night right as I went to sleep I had the most awful acid reflux for a few minutes. I've had acid reflux for a long while, popped pepcid AC like candy for a long time, took Prilosec for a while, stopped that 9 months ago. But I still get flareups kind of regularly (but not as bad as before.)

Two weeks ago, I started getting clued in that maybe I have an ulcer. I often get reflux in between meals or when I've skipped a meal, now I know I get it while fasting. So my question to you all is this, do you get heartburn when you fast? Do you think it could be H. Pylori? I did a little internet research, and it appears that H. Pylori ulcers can flare up when the stomach is empty...

Does anyone know what feeds H. Pylori? (Is it sugars? Carbs? Protein? Fat?) Or does anyone know what kills it? I've been on antibiotics so much during the past 3 years that I'm not too interested in taking more. I found a link to this supplement in another thread here at MDA, maybe this will help?

Amazon.com: Biotics Research - Bio-HPF 180C: Health & Personal Care
    Product Description
    BIO-HPF is a combination of medicinal herbs and minerals that have been shown by clinical research to be effective in alleviating gastric ulcers and gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining). Use this product to aid in the healing of duodenal ulcers and inflammation. This product also targets the microorganism (Helicobacter pylori) that has been shown to be associated with stomach ulcers. Two (2) capsules supply: Proprietary Blend: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1,200 mg Licorice Root (deglycrrhized), Bentonite Clay, Slippery Elm Bark, Myrrh (Commiphora mol-mol) (gum resin), Bismuth Citrate, Clove (Syzygium gromaticum) (flower bud), Berberine (HCI), Anise Powder (seed) Berberis vulgaris (bark), Mahonia aquafolium (root), and Baptista tinctura (aerial).

Thanks for your help on this....

@ Gopintos, okay, so yesterday night I found myself endlessly surfing a few posts over at BPC again, and now I'm wondering which fast you're doing. The BPC Intermittent fast that's not intermittent (Aka daily with the eating window in the evening)? Or the BPC Fast Burning Fat Loss Protocol? I have to say I'm now really intrigued by the BPC Fast Burning protocol, I think if I tired something like that, I'd take kraut everyday like Betorq suggested so that it will help my digestive system. What do you think? Also, I'm wondering if an extended Bullet-Proof fast (I'd do mine w/o coffee but still add the fat) would have some similar autophagic results to a long water fast?

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    I find that I am sooooooo hungry lying in bed at night that I don't think that I would be able to fast longer than 24 ! any tips on how to go a little longer without being keep awake with hunger pangs ???
    thoughts please !!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Just a few thoughts, the others might have some better ideas, but
    1) Try starting your fast at lunch Then by the time you hit dinner that first night, you're not really hungry yet. (Of course this doesn't help you on the 2nd evening.)

2) There's been some discussion on this thread about doing modified fasts (especially with the women), so perhaps try eating a little butter or coconut oil (by itself or in a cup of tea or something) just before dinner.

3) The closer your body is to the ketogenic zone when you start, the easier it is to fast, because your body is already in full-on fat burning mode.

I'm 2 1/2 days into a modified fast right now, so far so good. I've only had very slight hunger pangs so far, and those only started at the 23 hour mark and so I started eating a little, by adding chicken broth w/bacon grease and some butter.

Are you doing a strict water fast? How many days are you shooting for?
    Last edited by lissee; 10-04-2012 at 11:49 PM.

Lissee - no I haven't really done alot since going Primal. I was full on 7 days a few years ago when really REALLY sick - but I don't really consider this a beneficial fast. It was more my body saying I can't cope right now.... and since then I have been really, really unwell ! But I went paleo/primal 6 months ago and am now quite well, but need to tweak a few things to get my weight loss back on track, and feel at optimum health !
    I am doing an IF until 11.00am-12.00am most mornings, but am not feeling brilliant - so I need to add in some vitamins etc... not really sure
    just am considering a more substantial fast.

...small steps....

Hmmmm, you might consider a Bulletproof coffee if you're a coffee drinker in the mornings. I don't know if you've read the Eat MOAR Fat thread, but it sounds like you might be stuck in the "zone of misery", where you're eating too many carbs to fully get into fat burning mode, but at the same time, not enough to keep you sane and happy. (I think I'm sane and happy, but eat very few carbs these days. It sounds as if you may be stuck between the two states.)

Probiotic rich foods, Vitamin D3, and fish oils have helped me. Perhaps they might help you as well.

yep I supplement with Vitamin D, omega 3, lipoic acid and occasional magnesium , and have done for about 5 months. I have been eating a 50 F/40P/10C split for a while, with the odd day of not being religious - but am struggling at preasent ???????
    Love my coffee, but its just macona - which is instant
    Not sure - would value any feedback !!!!!

...small steps....

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lissee View Post
    @ Gopintos, okay, so yesterday night I found myself endlessly surfing a few posts over at BPC again, and now I'm wondering which fast you're doing. The BPC Intermittent fast that's not intermittent (Aka daily with the eating window in the evening)? Or the BPC Fast Burning Fat Loss Protocol? I have to say I'm now really intrigued by the BPC Fast Burning protocol, I think if I tired something like that, I'd take kraut everyday like Betorq suggested so that it will help my digestive system. What do you think? Also, I'm wondering if an extended Bullet-Proof fast (I'd do mine w/o coffee but still add the fat) would have some similar autophagic results to a long water fast?
    The Rapid Fat Loss Protocol Bulletproof Rapid Fat Loss Protocol: How to Lose Fat Way Faster Than You Should The Bulletproof Executive

But I didnt keep at it, once I read The Perfect Health Diet, the same page for the 100th time, okay, maybe half a dozen, but this time, in sunk in. It was like the heavens opened up and the singing began. So I have done more of a couple of Fast 5s but then when I did open my window, I stayed with lower fat - about half of what I am use to. And higher carbs about double to triple the carbs but still around 100 net.

I really do feel better. I don't know if that is a mental thing because I made the decision to quit stressing over it, or if it is mental because the scale is moving down, 2lbs in the 2 days that I have done this, or if this really is where I need to have my macros, at least for the weight loss portion of my journey. I can handle more fat - loved it! - but weight loss slows and really high fat seemed to be a gain, or maybe I was just needing a few more carbs (& calories) hard to say now, and my protein stayed the same, and calories landed around 1300, so I am going to try this way for awhile, so I am not sure what it will do to my fasting. I am guessing that I will not be able to.

However, if I find that I am hungry and NOT losing, then I just as well do the Rapid protocol. So that still might be in my future. Well, I wouldnt even say I was going to do that. I will just do a modified version of kraut and broth for extended days and try that first. But for the time being, I am at a happy place and I am seeing results
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Leida is offline Senior Member
    My surgery got delayed, by 2 pm I was so lethargic that I don't think they needed valium to sedate me, really. I ended up with about 550 cals on the day of surgery, and then I ate it all back yesterday when the appetite kicked back yesterday evening as I recovered. I and I barely walked both days, spend the whole day yesterday slow moving around the house & a bit on the street, and napping. As a result I am 1.5 lbs heavier this morning from Wednesday morning. Fasting for weight loss = not efficient for me. I am too voracious, I suppose. Well, back to the gym and no fasting today.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast