Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Fasting Challenge Next Week page 40

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    You pretty much summed it all up. Well done, young jedi!

The calorie thing, I interpret & keep the 50 calories max @ a time, of coconut oil or kraut, in mind when I'm about to put something calorific in my mouth while fasting. Yes, for the ladies, staying vigilant in protecting/healing & not hurting your endocrine systems, is paramount if you have health issues or are ultra-sensitive to changes, going into the fasting experience for the 1st x amount of times...

Pure water fasting for the 1st 18-30 hours won't hurt any healthy person, imo. Good luck & welcome!
    Yay! I'm a Jedi! (I'm a geek at heart.) Thanks for being a sounding board, I really appreciate it.

Hmmmm, I kind of like the idea of doling out fat throughout the day in 50 calorie increments. Just go, and if hunger starts bothering me too much, then have a small bit of something. And if not, then I can pass.

I did a 24 hour water fast last month and it went very smoothly, easy peasey. So yes, I think I'll follow your advice to start the first portion without supplementing non-insulin spiking calories. : )

Thanks much!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Okay, I ate my last food at 9 pm yesterday, had a cup of black coffee at ~ 5 am, from there it's no food or water (preparing for a surgery). Will see if I would be so sick that I skip dinner tonight as well, and take the fast for >24 hours. (Sigh) Trying to be positive about it.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lissee View Post
    Yay! I'm a Jedi!
    May the FAST be with you

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    The calorie thing, I interpret & keep the 50 calories max @ a time, of coconut oil or kraut
    I do kraut and CO. Can't remember why now, but I know I read something somewhere I have never tried to just have CO. And I havent just ate butter yet either ha. So the kraut seems like a good way to work the CO in.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Okay, I ate my last food at 9 pm yesterday, had a cup of black coffee at ~ 5 am, from there it's no food or water (preparing for a surgery). Will see if I would be so sick that I skip dinner tonight as well, and take the fast for >24 hours. (Sigh) Trying to be positive about it.

Hope all goes well with your surgery

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    May the FAST be with you

Oh my gosh! You're brilliant! I actually, gut laughed out loud when I read that!

I think on a thread I read somewhere it said that CO forces your body (liver?) to burn the fat, not store it (because of the medium chain fatty acid structure) and so it kind of helps propel you into fat burning mode.... At least that's the way I remember it. There may be other benefits as well.

Good luck Leida!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Thank you

Okay, I am 20 min away from going into a meeting and then commuting for a while to get to the dental office. I am not sure if it was the absence of water, sleeping in, or the cold I have right now, but the first 14 hours were not bad. I am getting the occasional spasms in the stomach now, but no growling hunger, just the spasms. I was also cold all day and, of course, cranky. No dizziness or enlightenment experiences. No sudden joy attack either. Moving was minimal - just a normal 30 min walk to the bus. I also quickly stretched my legs walking through the building, but that was it. All I want to do right now is to be warm and sleep. But not to eat.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Anyone looked at BPdude's rapid fat loss protocol?

Bulletproof Rapid Fat Loss Protocol: How to Lose Fat Way Faster Than You Should The Bulletproof Executive

I decided to give it a try. I have most of the supplements already. But I am getting hungry. He does say you can have fat if you get hungry, but the only supplement that I dont have, is the Betaine HCL to help with the digestion of the fat. So I am not sure if that is important. I am guessing so or he wouldnt have mentioned it. But he does say "you will probably need", so I dont know.

So, I am thinking of having some broth or kraut. I like the idea that he says of "weight will come off in chunks" so I am thinking maybe I should not stray. But afraid of just scraping it all together. So I am wondering if the kraut and broth is a hack of the hack? Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    So I am wondering if the kraut and broth is a hack of the hack? Any thoughts?
    Nevahmind. I answered it myself I am a little sleep deprived also, so I forgot the things I thought I knew. I ended up back at perfect health diet, where they talk about things like fermented foods, broth, CO for a fast. So I am good to go. Sipping a nice cup of bone broth now. (well in between types)

However, I am glad I asked. Because as usual, my search for knowledge leads me link hopping from one place to another, and I landed on this page Perfect Health Diet: Weight Loss Version | Perfect Health Diet

I think the heavens opened up and the singing began. It was enlightening. And I have read it before, but never had the aha moment. I think because I was too focused on doing it "this" way that I could not see what "that" way was suggesting.

So after I come off my fast, I have to tweak some things. I love Paleobird and her n=1 and what it has done for her, but I did not have similar experiences. When I purposely tried to go even higher fat this last month, I gained 4lbs. So September ended with under a 2lb weight loss. Since mid-March of going LC to VLC to higher fat, to moderate protein... I have only lost not quite 20 lbs even. Now if I were closer to goal, I could see weight loss slowing down, but I am only half way there.

And I love Mark too, and his curve. and it helped me to go from eating 5,6,7 small meals to getting by with less food and to knowing which foods satiate me and which ones do not. But when I began my journey, my macros were total opposite, and I was losing 8 - 10lbs a month. But I was hungrier and eating all the time, and I thought there had to be a better way, so I researched and landed here.

In reading PHD, this jumped at me today. In fact in tackled me down!
    This may surprise many readers, since we’re fat-friendly, but there should be no reduction in carb or protein consumption on weight loss diets. Calorie restriction should come out of fat.
    This is what I have been seeing as I look over my tracking logs. I was losing more weight eating more carbs, moderate protein, and lower fats. I think all the things I was adding in to get the extra fat, was to my detriment. Granted, I was hungrier so I think if I can apply what I have learned as far as satiating foods, taking out the crap carbs like grains, I think I may have just figured out what I need to do for me.

I think I have also proved to myself though, that once I hit maintenance that PB suits me and I can easily maintain. It is the way we grew up eating and we were all lean. I could continue to lose the weight this way, but at 1-2lbs per month, it will take me 5+ more years! I can't wait that long. I know it might not be much in the scheme of things, and had I started 5 years ago, I would be there. But anyways, I think I might have figured out where I went wrong and how I can fix it All I can do is try, and if it doesnt work, try something else

Don't forget stress. I've been incredibly, unbelievably stressed over the past three weeks, and not only did I stall, I went up 5 lbs from my low of 203 and then stalled.. If you've been stressed at all, your body will hold on to the weight. How's your sleep? Mines been pretty lowsy lately.

This may surprise many readers, since we’re fat-friendly, but there should be no reduction in carb or protein consumption on weight loss diets. Calorie restriction should come out of fat.
    This didn't work for me. The only thing I did eating this way, was gain weight, stall, then gain some more weight.

Yes, I had read the BPC guy's weight-loss fasting plan. I found his few posts on how to lose weight quickly, very confusing and thought it was a lot of hype. Especially to buy his coffee. When I finally navigated his links correctly (why does he have 40 million links pointing to the same page over and over again in the same article?) and then did searches on his site to find if I was missing anything, then I sat back and really thought about the little information that he had shared.

For me, most of it was hype. The other half was promoting his organic cleanly sourced coffee (I don't drink coffee), and the other small bits talked about how to do a healthy long term fast, aka keep eating some calories through fat so your body doesn't go into starvation mode. I found those bits and parts interesting.

I wouldn't worry too much about not having the supplement to aid in fat digestion. From what I've read, I'm starting to think the supplemental digestive enzymes are there to help the body out. That as our diets change, and we slowly adapt, that eventually, if we're healthyish and don't have other major things wrong, that our bodies will begin to make a sufficient number of the those fat burning enzymes for us on it's own. So I would say, just go for it. You can order the enzymes later if you're having issues.

I actually already supplement with some of the items on BPC's lis't but I didn't really feel the need to run out and buy more stuff.

Okay, so as for the eat more fat issue. I think that's what's cool. We're all such individuals, having to find what works for us. For me, the ketosis way of eating has been great. I've really embraced the fat thing and usually get closer to 80% fat in my macros. I've been experiencing a level of satiety that has been wonderful. Sometimes I get the munchies, but I've found that for me, it's nutrient driven. If I take a magnesium pill, then it goes away.

I'm severely insulin resistant, (was tested by my doctor last Nov.) and now, 11 months later after eating fairly cleanly, I'm still insulin resistant. I've found for me, that I cannot have a carby re-feed 1 or 2 times a week. I can't have sugary fruit. I no longer eat apples or bananas or mangoes, or oranges, or any starchy vegetables (unless I'm cheating). I do have raspberries and blueberries on occasion. But anyway, if I have any of those things, then my weight loss stalls for 3-5 days. For this reason, the ketosis thing has worked well for me. 6 lbs in August, 6 pounds in September, both included stalls for cheats. If I hadn't cheated, then I could have lost more, but then I'm human. And sane right now. So I foresee cheats continuing to be part of my future.

On the other hand, I've heard of people like yourself that really don't do well on the ketosis type of eating, which is exciting. We're all so different. Yet have the same fundamentals. Live healthily, eat cleanly sourced foods, enjoy life. It's the journey that's fun, and finding out what's best for your own body.

Okay, wow, I need to learn how to type less. Sorry about the long thought ramble. I want to say good luck to you! Please let us know how the BPC fast is going.

Quote Originally Posted by lissee View Post
    On the other hand, I've heard of people like yourself that really don't do well on the ketosis type of eating, which is exciting. We're all so different. Yet have the same fundamentals. Live healthily, eat cleanly sourced foods, enjoy life. It's the journey that's fun, and finding out what's best for your own body.

Okay, wow, I need to learn how to type less. Sorry about the long thought ramble. I want to say good luck to you! Please let us know how the BPC fast is going.
    Love the rambles, reminds me of me haha

I wish we were all more the same, so someone could say do this and this and it would just work PPL say give it time.... and if there is one thing I am, it's stubborn. I mean persistent so I pressed on. But it just isnt working. Well it is working for satiating - that has been nice, getting full on less - and it as been a slow drop since March so that is good, but it looks like if I want to focus on the weight loss, I do better with no more than a 3 way split in macros. I may even need to reduce fat even further.

Gosh I hate that. I was loving all the fat, and I love singing the fat doesnt make you fat song, and I did have slooooow loss. So when I tweaked and upped the fat and dropped the protein and carbs even farther, well that was a mistake for me. Fasting gets it back down, but I have been struggling with the same few pounds up and down for almost 1.5 months. At least with 50% fat, I was losing about 4lbs a month. It doesnt seem to matter what the calories are, unless I am doing a modified fast with a little fat. That seems to help.

I went ahead and ended the fast last night, armed with this new information. I had first wanted to press on, because well, I was just tired of thinking about the macros and just frustrated with not having any more progress than I have, so I thought well let's just try this protocol. And I still might, if this doesnt work.

Sorry to derail the thread. I am not sure what this will do to my fasting. The fat does help me fast. I know I still need to once in awhile for the health benefits, but I really want to get this weight off, so I need to cut the fat. I either need to cut it this new way, or cut it via fasting. I haven't really decided yet this morning. I am not starving like I thought I might be. So I might just push on with kraut and broth, maybe eat later in the day. I am just not sure yet

Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast