Page 36 of 44 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Fasting Challenge Next Week page 36

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    But people do get sick, quite often actually, from eating bad dairy, eggs &/or flesh foods.
    Or even raw vegetables. Remember that spinach incident from a few years ago? And the canteloupes just this summer?

The first thing one of my friends said to me when I told her I was fermenting vegetables, was 'Watch out for botulism!' I explained that the fermenting action doesn't leave the vegetables in the right state for botulism to occur, and yet, next time I pulled out my sauerkraut, her words echoed in my ears.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    My back pain had been an almost constant daily thing since 2000 but no more.
    That is awesome!!

If something get moldy or scummy on the top, ...
    We use to use a potato and put that on top, in order to keep the veggies under the water so they would not mold. Then later, just take the tator off and throw it away. I didnt this time, because no one mentioned using that trick in any of the recipes I looked at, so I didnt know if that was proven to be a bad idea or not. And I didnt know if there might be any starch or something that I might not want for my fasting purposes.

But as I looked at my jars yesterday, they werent moldy or anything, it has only been a few days, but I wished I had a tator on top to have held it all down
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Or even raw vegetables. Remember that spinach incident from a few years ago? And the canteloupes just this summer?

The first thing one of my friends said to me when I told her I was fermenting vegetables, was 'Watch out for botulism!' I explained that the fermenting action doesn't leave the vegetables in the right state for botulism to occur, and yet, next time I pulled out my sauerkraut, her words echoed in my ears.
    I meant from fermenting & eating those fermented veggies. Not raw veggies or fruits.

Fermentation bacteria might likely eat and/or crowd out botulism. I know friendly bacteria either will eat or destroy or crowd out unfriendly bacteria in our guts. Not sure about that though working the same in a pickling jar...Too tired right now to research anything but my pillow.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I know, I meant, isn't it strange how raw veggies (which you would assume to be the safest) can still have problems, and yet fermented, don't.

Anyone doing a 24-48 hr fast this week?

I'm fasting my 48 hours after tonight's evening meal - Monday. That will overlap & coincide with Yom Kippur, the Jewish High Holiday that involves a 24 hour full fast, no food, water or even brushing your teeth. Any adult (age 13 or older) with illness or pregnant is exempt. I've done every year since I was a teenager. I get weak in the hot synagogue standing & sitting dozens of times in a stuffy suit. My dad sniffs smelling salts a bit during the services, to keep his head clear. I might get some, never really needed it, except for this holiday...

I'll break the fast Wednesday evening @ sundown with the other hungry, repentant congregants. I bet nobody else in the synagogue will have gone 48 hours like me, !

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I just posted on another thread, that I am going for 48 after tonight. I meant to after supper last night, but realized I didnt eat supper
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    I'm in a 24 right now, never eat breakfast and kinda forgot lunch LOL. I do it a couple times weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    I'm in a 24 right now, never eat breakfast and kinda forgot lunch LOL. I do it a couple times weekly.
    There's quite a bit of past discussions on MDA, comparing the pros & cons of two 24 hr fasts each week, vs one 48 hour one. For me, personally I prefer to do it all at once. Plus there are health benefits that kick in at or after 40-48 hours, that a 24 hr fast does not confer.

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    Anyone doing a 24-48 hr fast this week?
    I am - will go about 36 hours, eating a late dinner tonight and then breaking the fast on Wednesday morning. Hey, didn't some gentile suggest earlier that only religious fasts were legitimate? You'll be totally legit this week, although maybe not barefoot.

Actually, I do take off my shoes while in my chair. It's too hot & stuffy otherwise

Page 36 of 44 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast