Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Fasting Challenge Next Week page 35

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I broke a little early, of sorts. Had an ounce of cream cheese after my chicken broth.

I am finding my comfort level also. I just vary so much from day to day. One day I want to eat the house ( I dont but it seems like it) and then one day I hardly want anything at all. But I thought I should keep track of the 24s and 48s, and make sure that I do routinely get some in. I may find that I have to schedule those if they are not just happening. Well I can tell ya, a 48 is not just going to happen :P So I do need to pay attention.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

cheffy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Hell, my experience been had the exact opposite, metabolically speaking. My bowels are functioning better this week than they have in many years (part of my injuries in Oct 2000 involved disc damage to L4-L5-S1 & the nerve roots as well), so I'm a happy camper in so many ways. (I give equal credit to the fermentations I've been consistently, some would say, massively, consuming).

Also I can see segueing to a 2 meal a day model starting today, as when I just broke this lastest 48 hour fast (last week I went 49.5 hours, this week I was shy of 46 hours, let's call it even), I had just a big 'ol fatty super healthy yummy lunch & I can tell I won't be eating much for dinner.

My hope is to stick with the 1.5 meal a day model for myself for a more 'optimum' PrimalBlueprinting than the random 'eating when hungry' I've been doing. Don't get me wrong, "Eat when hungry" is really excellent & actually in the flow & healthy & all that, I just think/feel that this next stage, for me, I can & will benefit from some more structured feedings than my free-form excesses. Calorie restriction with 1.5 meals/day, without counting calories or macros, is having my cake & eating it too.
    Are your back problems improving? I have lower back issues as well, a couple herniated disks. Although it is much better than pre-primal, I still can't bend over completely without pain, and I do get the occasional ache. I was wondering whether or not a primal diet could completely heal back issues, or just help? (weight loss, better/more nutrients)

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    My hope is to stick with the 1.5 meal a day model for myself for a more 'optimum' PrimalBlueprinting than the random 'eating when hungry' I've been doing. Don't get me wrong, "Eat when hungry" is really excellent & actually in the flow & healthy & all that, I just think/feel that this next stage, for me, I can & will benefit from some more structured feedings than my free-form excesses. Calorie restriction with 1.5 meals/day, without counting calories or macros, is having my cake & eating it too.
    1.5 meals. That's a good way to describe what I do.

While I agreed with the Warrior Diet guy's idea about the natural feeding time being evening, I don't really buy the whey,berries and greens being something that doesn't break the fast. For some reason whey shakes have always made me feel hungrier than I started within an hour or two. Berries are nice but you can't ignore the carbs. Some greens might be low carb/calorie enough to stay under 50 calories so a green blend might be an alternative to the miso soup that the narrator of that BBC film was consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    For some reason whey shakes have always made me feel hungrier than I started within an hour or two. Berries are nice but you can't ignore the carbs. Some greens might be low carb/calorie enough to stay under 50 calories so a green blend might be an alternative to the miso soup that the narrator of that BBC film was consuming.
    Yal if I start, it just makes me hungry the rest of the day, it seems. Now broth doesnt so much. And kraut hasnt seemed to that I have noticed, but I havent used it that much. I need to pay attention the next time.

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    I really have to knuckle down and ferment some kraut, some kombucha, water kefir... I'm mostly intimidated & nervous (with a smidgen of laziness in the mix). That, I think, is the next vital step in my quest for optimal health - added to the bone broth, dabbling in this moar-fat-less-protein, new 2-day weekly fast (thanks for tipping me off the fence on that one, Betorq), and my continued eating for maximum nutrition.

I hope this thread keeps going. I don't post much, but I'm ever-lurking.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    I really have to knuckle down and ferment some kraut
    OH yal!! I made some over the weekend! Well I have it in the jars anyways. Took no time at all. I guess maybe I should go check on it. Thanks for the reminder!!

Paleobird Guest
    I really have to knuckle down and ferment some kraut, some kombucha, water kefir... I'm mostly intimidated & nervous (with a smidgen of laziness in the mix). That, I think, is the next vital step in my quest for optimal health - added to the bone broth, dabbling in this moar-fat-less-protein, new 2-day weekly fast (thanks for tipping me off the fence on that one, Betorq), and my continued eating for maximum nutrition.
    That's how I feel exactly. And I can get some great home made fermented veggies at the Farmer's Market so I continue to indulge my intimidated nervous laziness.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheffy View Post
    Are your back problems improving? I have lower back issues as well, a couple herniated disks. Although it is much better than pre-primal, I still can't bend over completely without pain, and I do get the occasional ache. I was wondering whether or not a primal diet could completely heal back issues, or just help? (weight loss, better/more nutrients)
    YES! For the 1st time since I was injured, I can lift heavy weights & do yoga again without reinjurying myself & worsening my spine & lessening my enjoyment of life. I have 5 discs I ruptured, 2 nerve roots damaged. I'll tell you what I think: Pretty strict primal eating/living and pretty much eliminating nuts (except macs & some cashews on very rare occassion which I used to overconsume, nuts are like that), that and high fat low carb + TONS of fermented foods I make, all that was the icing on the cake too. My back pain had been an almost constant daily thing since 2000 but no more. I've done a LOT of decompressive therapies, about 50 of them, all outside the coverage of my health insurance (ie all out of pocket), I did a LOT of prolotherapy, about 25 of them over a period of about 6 months. I've eaten a LOT of serrapeptase which is powerful stuff on many levels and quite inexpensive surprisingly, from this one source I get it from. I haven't taken it in a while but I ought to, as I get sore from working out some & I know its great for so many other things too.

PM me & maybe we can even talk on Skype or the phone, as I can share more, better, & faster talking in my natural way of thinking, than by typing. If it worked for me, depending on your level of damage, your ability to heal & willingness, ability to access & afford alternative therapies, you MIGHT be able to free yourself of pain too. Everyone's different, but the body is quite amazing & can heal from some heavy shite if given the right resources & time.
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-18-2012 at 08:40 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Betorq is offline Senior Member

I hope this thread keeps going. I don't post much, but I'm ever-lurking.
    I lurked, I love that word, it's so funny sounding.

I lurked for over a year, on & off, before I even registered and filled out a profile. I ought to look back over those 1st & earliest posts of mine someday...

I don't think I/we are going to stop fasting on a weekly basis, as for me personally, I can really see myself doing this for a lifetime, in some form or another.

Fermenting your own stuff is easy & doesn't take much time at all. Minutes really. If something get moldy or scummy on the top, I just skim it off, clean around the edges, top it off with fresh filtered water, add some extra sea salt for good measure, & on we go, no worries nor troubles. An interesting fact I read on some fermenting website some time ago, which has never left me: "There has never been a single reported case of anyone being treated in a US hospital from eating fermented vegetables."

If the vegetables ferment improperly or rot on top due to air being between the jar's top & the top layer of the ferment material & the water, it's quite apparent when you check on your ferments and you simply just discard the bad part, clean up the glass top & lid, top it all off again, & proceed with the fermentation process. Nobody eats bad fermented vegetables (unless you're blind and can't taste anything...). But people do get sick, quite often actually, from eating bad dairy, eggs &/or flesh foods.

But whether this thread continues on & on, only time will tell...
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-18-2012 at 08:54 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been making sauerkraut for about 6 weeks now. It is fairly easy, but I did have one batch that seems to have turned into an inedible mush.

And that leads into my fasting work this week. I missed fasting last week as I was at a trade show and that always throws me off. Anyway, I'm working the revised fasting today - BP coffee and sauerkraut. Not sure how I feel about calling this a fast, and I'm not sure it's any easier than having no food at all. It's been 24 hours and I'll go another 12-36 depending on how I feel tomorrow.

Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast