Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Fasting Challenge Next Week page 34

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
    People who do fasts like that are just idiots.
    Let me know when you want to do something crazy like that and then just offer me a challenge. I'm here to cross that fine line between strong headed and hard minded...
    Idiot raises his paw, er hand... But seriously folks, I am hard headed to an extent and committed to my health and the health & well being of those I love and those who are my clients, hopefully while avoiding falling into unteachability mode, rigidity, superiority or dogma.

I also have learnt in all my years on the planet to listen to the wisdom of the body. The mind is a tricky mickey & can lie, fool & cajole me and sometimes (often?) does. The body does not lie, and therein lies true wisdom imo. Now the two can communicate & form joint decisions, that's for certain.

And sometimes I pull that off too. Hence my quote from Gandhi in my MDA & email signature....

Anyhoo.... If I'm ever fasting & it feels more 'right' to end it 'early' then so be it. Or to bail on or amend the idea of a 10 day fast being advantageous (I still think 48 hours is optimal though). There's no door prize or cash reward for going an extra 2 hours or 2 days.... Is there? Ok, so being the idiot I can be, having said that, I'm not opposed to exploring & discussing with others who have personally done long term fasts like 10 days as to what are the pros & cons, & the risk & rewards... Those experienced long term fasting people are out there, just have to make the effort to reach out to them & contact them. But I haven't been motivated or given the time/effort to do so quite yet...
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-17-2012 at 02:10 AM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I keep wanting to read Eat Stop Eat, but haven't yet. Is his "thing" for weight loss? I was thinking 48 is optimal for weight loss, but for more internal deep house cleaning, that is where the longer fasts come to play?

When I was looking around trying to find stuff on fasting and cysts, I ran across this suggested guideline:

One 24-hours fast a week or one 3-day fast every month
    Four 7-10 day fast once a season SPRING SUMMER FALL WINTER.
    Healers- 21- 30 day fast once a year. Long fasting is great to rid the body of cancer, tumors and cyst; however, I do not recommend long fasting without the supervision
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Just went to the eatstopeat site and was blown away by the price. Thirty-seven dollars!?! High for a book that apparently has one very simple principle.

cheffy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Just went to the eatstopeat site and was blown away by the price. Thirty-seven dollars!?! High for a book that apparently has one very simple principle.
    I have the ebook as well, and Paleobird basically summed it up. It's a pretty short book, with a pretty simple premise not that there's anything wrong with that

Paleobird Guest
    Ya, the Eat Stop Eat book is a good resource to quote at people who think you have an eating disorder because you want to try fasting or that you are going to "crash your metabolism", etc. But I really didn't learn anything new from it. I think it was around a few years before leangains et al started preaching IF.

Pilon basically says do a 24 hour IF twice a week. But his graphs say that there is still a lot of benefit in the second day which then tapers off to be only marginally more beneficial with each day of pushing it beyond that. I think he doesn't push 48 hour fasts because fewer people would be willing to do it. Going from dinner one night to dinner the next is not really that hard.

That was an interesting article you posted Betorq from the Warrior Diet guy. I agree with his conclusion that evening is the natural time for feeding. I am sliding this direction naturally as I become more adept at staying ketotic. I generally have a "fat snack" around noon or later like a bite of cheese or a pat of butter or some pate'. Then I have one main meal at dinner.

It's funny, the Warrior Diet was something I found and tried briefly shortly before finding Primal. It didn't work well then. If you are watching the clock to see how soon you can eat, that is crazy making and can lead to compensatory overeating. If you just happen to notice that it is coming up on dinner time and you haven't eaten anything yet that day, that is a good way to be.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Paleobird and Betorq---when are the two of you going to meet?!

At a fat festival in October...

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Quote Originally Posted by betorq View Post
    at a fat festival in october...
    awesome!

cheffy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Ya, the Eat Stop Eat book is a good resource to quote at people who think you have an eating disorder because you want to try fasting or that you are going to "crash your metabolism", etc. But I really didn't learn anything new from it. I think it was around a few years before leangains et al started
    I feel the same way, I didn't really learn anything from the book that I couldn't learn here, from lean gains, or free the animal, but it did basically reaffirm that my metabolism won't come to a screeching hault.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by cheffy View Post
    I feel the same way, I didn't really learn anything from the book that I couldn't learn here, from lean gains, or free the animal, but it did basically reaffirm that my metabolism won't come to a screeching hault.
    Hell, my experience been had the exact opposite, metabolically speaking. My bowels are functioning better this week than they have in many years (part of my injuries in Oct 2000 involved disc damage to L4-L5-S1 & the nerve roots as well), so I'm a happy camper in so many ways. (I give equal credit to the fermentations I've been consistently, some would say, massively, consuming).

Also I can see segueing to a 2 meal a day model starting today, as when I just broke this lastest 48 hour fast (last week I went 49.5 hours, this week I was shy of 46 hours, let's call it even), I had just a big 'ol fatty super healthy yummy lunch & I can tell I won't be eating much for dinner.

My hope is to stick with the 1.5 meal a day model for myself for a more 'optimum' PrimalBlueprinting than the random 'eating when hungry' I've been doing. Don't get me wrong, "Eat when hungry" is really excellent & actually in the flow & healthy & all that, I just think/feel that this next stage, for me, I can & will benefit from some more structured feedings than my free-form excesses. Calorie restriction with 1.5 meals/day, without counting calories or macros, is having my cake & eating it too.
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-18-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast