Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Fasting Challenge Next Week page 32

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    Paul Jaminet of The Perfect Health Diet claims that 23 hours is the maximum one should fast... primarily because after that the body starts feeding off less 'junk protein' and breaks down useful protein (I'm assuming that is/includes muscle) and once we start eating again the body stops autophagy mode and spends energy to rebuild the valuable proteins. During this 'shut-down' (?) period the viruses and bacteria can proliferate and get hold of us and we might then get sick. He does recommend IFing everyday with an 8 hour window to eat as he states that autophagy occurs after 12 hours fasting.

Two things, have you read anything that contradicts his 23 hours max for optimal fasting that is easily shared here? Second, perhaps (just a thought) that it was not only the CAFO meat but also the bacteria getting a window to proliferate that ... err ... cleaned you out?

I ask because I'm really interested in testing a weekly 2-day fast test through Oct to see how it affects me. Makes sense, I feel, for me at this moment.
    Jaminet also says you should be eating a lot of "safe starches". If you are doing that and still a sugar burner, fasting becomes more problematic.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Ok, my fast last week, didnt go as planned. Last week was very frustrating. Calories were still in check, carbs were higher than normal, protein was where it should be, and fats were lower than normal. I did have some not primal things, and maybe that is what I am paying for even though calories were still okay. I have gained 4 lbs since Sept. 6

I was thinking of how I lost the majority of my weight, when I was CW dieting, so I thought I would see what higher carbs would do, but not nearly as high as when I was losing weight CW style. And I was still under calories. But I gained. Makes me almost feel like I am not losing it Primal way but also I can't go back to losing it CW style the way I was... uggghhh. Just so frustrating trying to figure myself out.

(Higher than normal carbs were still mostly under 100 net but one day was 116 and yesterday was 130. So that should still be losing or at least maintaining according to the curve)

I think okay, let's fast. And then I think, if I end up eating the same calories as in a whole day anyways, why torture myself. But it isnt always torture either, not for a fast 5 or a 24 hour one.

I am hoping my not so primal things this week have just caused a temporary gain. I dont see how it could be fat, but it is frustrating none the less, especially when I look back over the last few months. I did a parade for 4th of July, and thinking I would be much less for the next parade, which is today, and I am only 2 pounds lighter. uggghhh

Sorry to babble. Sometimes I really wish there was a One size Fits All in this game.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Wow! What a great thread!!

It took me a few hours, but I finally made it to the end. (followed a few links along the way.) I feel like a huge paradigm shift just happened for me, and I'm really looking forward to in incorporating more fasting into the mix.

I thought it was really interesting in the fasting documentary how it showed that the mice grew new brain cells when fasting. I wonder how this plays in with the autophagy/ketosis discussion that you all were having earlier. If humans can grow new brain cells like mice, do you think that you'd have to be on a strict water (perhaps pickle juice fast) or do you think that the body probably doesn't care if you add in the CO?

Thanks everyone for all the research you dug up while following along this path. It's been extremely helpful to read. A special thanks to Betorq, and a question. How do you end up with so much juice on your fements? I usually buy a kraut salad at the store, it's a moderately fermented cabbage salad with caraway seeds but there doesn't seem to be much liquid. . . . Guess I'd better make my own and start it off watery?

For those of you who are working, did you fast on work days? I did a 24 hour fast last week, no problem in the middle of the week. (I'm in ketosis already and the transition was seamless.) But I'm worried that if I go for multiple days, it might affect my work performance. Any thoughts anyone?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lissee View Post
    Wow! What a great thread!!

It took me a few hours, but I finally made it to the end. (followed a few links along the way.) I feel like a huge paradigm shift just happened for me, and I'm really looking forward to in incorporating more fasting into the mix.

I thought it was really interesting in the fasting documentary how it showed that the mice grew new brain cells when fasting. I wonder how this plays in with the autophagy/ketosis discussion that you all were having earlier. If humans can grow new brain cells like mice, do you think that you'd have to be on a strict water (perhaps pickle juice fast) or do you think that the body probably doesn't care if you add in the CO?

Thanks everyone for all the research you dug up while following along this path. It's been extremely helpful to read. A special thanks to Betorq, and a question. How do you end up with so much juice on your fements? I usually buy a kraut salad at the store, it's a moderately fermented cabbage salad with caraway seeds but there doesn't seem to be much liquid. . . . Guess I'd better make my own and start it off watery?

For those of you who are working, did you fast on work days? I did a 24 hour fast last week, no problem in the middle of the week. (I'm in ketosis already and the transition was seamless.) But I'm worried that if I go for multiple days, it might affect my work performance. Any thoughts anyone?
    That, as Hamlet would say, is the question. I don't think we really know the answer. I was just having some sauerkraut for lunch and noticing how little calories it has. In the BBC film, the narrator was kept to 50 calories a day of miso soup. I wonder if there is some magic to that number. You could eat a goodly bowl of kraut and not break 50.

As far as working goes, you do need to mind your electrolytes so as not to get lightheaded. I found that being in ketosis already when the fast began gave me much less of a first day "OMG if I don't get some food right now I'm going to die" feeling. I was hungry but it was very manageable.

Yal water with a little sea salt fixes alot of things, at least for me

As far as work performance, I was just reading last night, two brothers I think, athletes. One was, hmmm can't remember and the other was NFL maybe? And both do their sports (job) while in a fasted state. Somewhere, not sure if this thread, but some fella that won like an Iron Man race? or something? while VLCing, I guess he wasnt fasted, just low carb.

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I was just reading last night, two brothers I think, athletes.
    It was the email from Eat Stop Eat.

Here is the email

Hi Melinda,

Every once in a while I get the rare opportunity to watch some
    college football. Living in Canada, I don't get a lot of NCAA
    coverage on television, so when I do, its a real treat.

I can remember one game I caught this season where the announcers
    were actually talking about fasting.

Apparently, one of the players on the Washington Cougars practices
    fasting, and during this particular game, he was right in the
    middle of a fast.

This player wasn't fasting for weight loss, (he was already
    incredibly lean and muscular) but interestingly even while
    following a regimen of short-term fasting he was still able to play
    a very high level sport that involves very explosive and intense
    periods of activity, that can go on for hours.

Even more interesting is that his older brother plays in the NFL,
    and he also fasts.

Fasting during an NFL game - talk about intense!

These two brothers are a perfect example of what I have found with
    theEat Stop Eat lifestyle.You can workout while you are fasting
    without feeling tired or performing poorly.

In fact, I feel an amazing amount of energy when I workout while
    fasting!

The cool thing is, this is exactly what some recent research on
    fasting has found - fasting doesn't slow you down.

In a research study published in the journal of Sports Science and
    Medicine, ten elite power athletes were studied before, during and
    after 30 days of intermittent fasting. The researchers found that
    there was no drop in performance during their fasts or even in the
    days after their 30 day fasting period. Pretty impressive
    considering the guys were ELITE athletes.

So, just like the NCAA and NFL football players I was telling you
    about, these athletes were able to fast and still perform at a
    super high level.

I do my best workouts while fasting. It allows me to attack them
    with a clear head and that feeling of alert-energy you can only get
    when you are fasting. If you haven't tried this yet, you need to.

The experience is eye-opening.

Brad
    www.EatStopEat.com

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    As far as working goes, you do need to mind your electrolytes so as not to get lightheaded. I found that being in ketosis already when the fast began gave me much less of a first day "OMG if I don't get some food right now I'm going to die" feeling. I was hungry but it was very manageable.
    I'm wondering about the electrolytes for myself, especially on an extended (1 week or longer) fast. I think you PB and Betorq, both mentioned some experiences with getting light-headed on this last fast. I don't seem to get that at all, but on my long fast I had periods of extreme lethargy. Adding salt seemed to help a bit, but that also seems to kick in my hunger. I used salt on this last 90 hour fast, and it seemed to give some initial flavor satisfaction but then also triggered my hunger.

ozzy is offline Junior Member
    How long into the switch to primal can you begin I.F.? I have a 24 hour work day every 4 days and normal workdays throughout the week..usually weekends too. I would like to use those every 4 days for I.F.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
    I'm wondering about the electrolytes for myself, especially on an extended (1 week or longer) fast. I think you PB and Betorq, both mentioned some experiences with getting light-headed on this last fast. I don't seem to get that at all, but on my long fast I had periods of extreme lethargy. Adding salt seemed to help a bit, but that also seems to kick in my hunger. I used salt on this last 90 hour fast, and it seemed to give some initial flavor satisfaction but then also triggered my hunger.
    I don't know how warm it's been in Atlanta where Betorq is but it's been pretty warm here. I think my woozy head feeling may have also been due to some dehydration. I would like to do a 7-10 day fast later in the fall when it cools off a bit.

I never had the feeling like salt stimulated hunger. If anything for me it killed it.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    How long into the switch to primal can you begin I.F.? I have a 24 hour work day every 4 days and normal workdays throughout the week..usually weekends too. I would like to use those every 4 days for I.F.
    I would recommend getting your Primal eating and fitness plan going solid for a few months first before you jump into fasting.

There was a series of three posts here by a guy named pklopp on fasting. Do a search on those and read up a bit. PK really knows his stuff. His blog , Cogito Ergo Edo is, also a good resource.

Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast