Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Fasting Challenge Next Week page 31

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I hear ya. I was just afraid of what I might be missing since when I was IFing and full most days on less than 1200. Adding in more fat has helped out with those numbers. I do eat all that stuff mentioned, and quite regularly (except for offal - that is once in awhile beef & chicken liver and chicken gizzards) so I am probably getting enough. Thanks!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Cheffy- you didn't mention what you had eaten. I think that both primal eating and fasting can make your system more sensitive to the things that irritate it. You get a rest, and then if you eat something that disagrees with you (for whatever reason), your body is able to jump right on it.
    When I go off eating primally, I am always dismayed by how yucky I feel, and amazed that I used to feel this way all the time, but it was my 'normal', so I didn't even realize until I had a feeling of good health to compare it to.
    You might want to chart what you are eating and see if it is an ingredient that is bothering you.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheffy View Post
    Both times I at salad greens and meat, which is somewhat typical of my daily meal. I'll have to do a little experimenting and see if only certain foods cause it. Sounds pretty obvious but I never even thought of it haha, thanks Sabine!

Cheffy - If I have salad and raw veggies after a fast, it tears right through me. Try protein and fat and re-introduce the raw veggies a bit more slowly to see if that works.
    Last edited by Piscator; 09-14-2012 at 09:47 AM.

cheffy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
    Cheffy - If I have salad and raw veggies after a fast, it tears right through me. Try protein and fat and re-introduce the raw veggies a bit more slowly to see if that works.
    Broke a 42 hour fast yesterday with a bacon fritatta and sour cream, no veggies no salad, no stomach troubles! It's crazy how sensitive your body can be after a fast. The fat and protein thing worked

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    I'm just going on my own experience and sense of logic on this, but during a fast, you're body is living on fat stores. Seems reasonable that it would handle the introduction of external fat and protein better than raw vegetables.

But then, I'm not a vegan living in denial...

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
    I'm just going on my own experience and sense of logic on this, but during a fast, you're body is living on fat stores. Seems reasonable that it would handle the introduction of external fat and protein better than raw vegetables.

But then, I'm not a vegan living in denial...
    Fat stores, defective cells & aberrant proteins (cysts & tumors anyone?).

I did that 97.5 hr fast last week, now I've settled into a 2 day fast every 7 days, as that seems optimal to me as I do love to eat food, tending toward over-indulgement of my own dishes. Trying to eat less (slower & with more consciousness) & just be happy with that satisfied but not stuffed feeling, satiation. It seems to be working. For kicks, I've weighed myself almost every morning since I broke that fast, to see what my weight was gonna do after 4 days of fasting up down &/or back down. My intention is to gain weight, muscle. Ok so, I dunno if the CAFO meats & the small salad I ate Thursday night to break my fast caused it, or what, but I had the runs from Thursday til this morning & I weighed 142 lbs!! Whatever it was, it cleared my colon, hehe... For reference I wrestled @ 118 (age 14), 126 (age 15-16) & 132 (age 17) in high school. So for a brief moment there I weighed a mere 10 lbs more @ age 47 than I did @ 17, ahaha! Now I'm settled @ 147 & this feels like the new normal. For now....
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-14-2012 at 02:54 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Fat stores, defective cells & aberrant proteins (cysts & tumors anyone?).

I did that 97.5 hr fast last week, now I've settled into a 2 day fast every 7 days, as that seems optimal to me as I do love to eat food, tending toward over-indulgement of my own dishes. Trying to eat less (slower & with more consciousness) & just be happy with that satisfied but not stuffed feeling, satiation. It seems to be working. For kicks, I've weighed myself almost every morning since I broke that fast, to see what my weight was gonna do after 4 days of fasting up down &/or back down. My intention is to gain weight, muscle. Ok so, I dunno if the CAFO meats & the small salad I ate Thursday night to break my fast caused it, or what, but I had the runs from Thursday til this morning & I weighed 142 lbs!! Whatever it was, it cleared my colon, hehe... For reference I wrestled @ , 118, 126 & 132 in high school, when I was 13-17. So for a brief moment there I weighed 10 lbs more @ age 47 than I did @ 17, ahaha! Now I'm settled @ 147 & this feels like the new normal. For now....
    Paul Jaminet of The Perfect Health Diet claims that 23 hours is the maximum one should fast... primarily because after that the body starts feeding off less 'junk protein' and breaks down useful protein (I'm assuming that is/includes muscle) and once we start eating again the body stops autophagy mode and spends energy to rebuild the valuable proteins. During this 'shut-down' (?) period the viruses and bacteria can proliferate and get hold of us and we might then get sick. He does recommend IFing everyday with an 8 hour window to eat as he states that autophagy occurs after 12 hours fasting.

Two things, have you read anything that contradicts his 23 hours max for optimal fasting that is easily shared here? Second, perhaps (just a thought) that it was not only the CAFO meat but also the bacteria getting a window to proliferate that ... err ... cleaned you out?

I ask because I'm really interested in testing a weekly 2-day fast test through Oct to see how it affects me. Makes sense, I feel, for me at this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    Paul Jaminet of The Perfect Health Diet claims that 23 hours is the maximum one should fast... primarily because after that the body starts feeding off less 'junk protein' and breaks down useful protein (I'm assuming that is/includes muscle) and once we start eating again the body stops autophagy mode and spends energy to rebuild the valuable proteins. During this 'shut-down' (?) period the viruses and bacteria can proliferate and get hold of us and we might then get sick. He does recommend IFing everyday with an 8 hour window to eat as he states that autophagy occurs after 12 hours fasting.

Two things, have you read anything that contradicts his 23 hours max for optimal fasting that is easily shared here? Second, perhaps (just a thought) that it was not only the CAFO meat but also the bacteria getting a window to proliferate that ... err ... cleaned you out?

I ask because I'm really interested in testing a weekly 2-day fast test through Oct to see how it affects me. Makes sense, I feel, for me at this moment.
    Yeah, I've read some but not all of Paul's stuff & not to sound arrogant but I don't really give it much credence, re his 'opinions' on fasting. Much of his other info is good though. For one, the body DOESN'T feed on its own muscles within 23 or 24 hours, not until outright starvation, after all the stored fat, tumors/cysts(made of protein/fats) & defective cells are eaten.

There are much more imminent people who've studied & reported their findings on extended fasts & autophagy than Paul. His 'theories' just don't jive with the real fasting experts/scholars.

Look back through this thread or others on MDA about fasting, it's pretty much all there...

And yes I agree, the bacteria was most likely the culprit, hehe... It felt like a touch of dysentary, minus the cramps,headaches & nausea. All's well now, but it was a on-again-off-again 18 hour crapfest!
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-14-2012 at 03:50 PM.

cheffy is offline Member
    Yeah, I've read some but not all of Paul's stuff & not to sound arrogant but I don't really give it much credence, re his 'opinions' on fasting. Much of his other info is good though. For one, the body DOESN'T feed on its own muscles within 23 or 24 hours, not until outright starvation, after all the stored fat, tumors/cysts(made of protein/fats) & defective cells are eaten.

There are much more imminent people who've studied & reported their findings on extended fasts & autophagy than Paul. His 'theories' just don't jive with the real fasting experts/scholars.

Look back through this thread or others on MDA about fasting, it's pretty much all there...

And yes I agree, the bacteria was most likely the culprit, hehe... It felt like a touch of dysentary, minus the cramps,headaches & nausea. All's well now, but it was a on-again-off-again 18 hour crapfest!
    So you're saying that the reason I had stomach issues after a couple fasts was because of bacteria proliferating while I fasted?

No, I'm saying I ''think'' it was a likely cause of my 'lil porcelain throne episode. I think it might have been the bacteria in the CAFO meats as much as anything... Who knows, it's all conjecture & it's past so I really don't care that much one way or another, as it was like a extreme unintended colonic that really cleaned me out.

But it is something for me to consider with more foresight: the timing of my weekly fasts, & which foods to break those fasts with...
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-14-2012 at 06:30 PM.

cheffy is offline Member
    No, I'm saying I ''think'' it was a likely cause of my 'lil porcelain throne episode. I think it might have been the bacteria in the CAFO meats as much as anything... Who knows, it's all conjecture & it's past so I really don't care that much one way or another, as it was like a extreme unintended colonic that really cleaned me out.

But it is something for me to consider with more foresight: the timing of my weekly fasts, & which foods to break those fasts with...
    Ok just curious, I'm still learning about the science and theory behind IF and reading that was something new to me

Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast