Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Fasting Challenge Next Week page 3

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I have never done a true water fast. I do the little cheats or hacks, whatever you want to call them, I prefer to call them ummm, what sounds good, tools maybe, I prefer to use tools that have been show (or suggested) to give you all the benefits of fasting but still use a couple of things to help you out. Like BP coffee for me for breakfast. Some days I dont feel I need or want it, but for a longer fast I am sure I will. And I might have another for lunch. And then I read that a little sauerkraut (anything fermented I guess) doesnt negate fasting benefits. And then I read about the week long fasts, eat a day, then back to fasting, and they use certain supplements.

So for me, no, it is not an absolute fast. I know everyone has different opinions on what constitutes a fast, but for me, if these other things help you get the same fasting results, I am going to use them as long as I need them. Maybe it is a crutch, but even a crutch can be useful until you build your strength and don't need them any longer. I might not use them, but I like knowing I have it to fall back on.
    In the 1990s, when I was macrobiotic, I did a month long cleanse/fast. It was 1 week of water & veggie juice from a blender not a juicer, 2nd week was fruit blended juices & water, 3rd week was herbal teas & water, 4th week was just water. I lost a LOT of weight, ribs were showing, face was gaunt & I was cannabalizing muscle I now know. I got weak the end of that final week, but I have to say, I dreamt wonderful dreams & remembered them all in great detail, remembered 'forgotten' memories from my childhood, had excellent eye sight (everything in the world looked brighter & crisper, like HD vs regular TV) & I was light on my feet haha...

I'd be open and willing to do a fast with you Piscator, but not commiting to a week, as I have other commitments for work, which involve socializing, drinking & eating. AND I don't really want to put my body through that extreme of a fast.

Gopintos, I use bites of sauerkraut during a fast as an under 50 calorie hack & I drink extra sauerkraut & kimchi juices from my homemade ferments in the morning on an empty stomach chased by a glass of filtered water. I do this every morning, not just during a fast, as I find it makes a quick visit to the bathroom throne a necessity, which is a good thing, yah? The BP coffee will be interesting on a fast longer than 48 hours, I just do coffee on weekends normally, so it'll be yet another coffee experiment on that front. I never really drank coffee in the past, always had loads of energy naturally. But I have always enjoyed experimenting on myself one way or another, so this is gonna be interesting if nothing else. Add in some cold water therapy on my belly, where that last persistent refuge of my former love handles is still clinging on, it ought to do something for it...

Pescator, I've lived in Fairfax, Marin Co since Jan 1995 but have been in Atlanta since November(10 months!), and am REALLY looking forward to returning to Cali early Oct (SoCal) & back to Norcal & Marin in time for Halloween, yay!
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Gopintos, I use bites of sauerkraut during a fast as an under 50 calorie hack & I drink extra sauerkraut & kimchi juices from my homemade ferments in the morning on an empty stomach chased by a glass of filtered water. I do this every morning, not just during a fast, as I find it makes a quick visit to the bathroom throne a necessity, which is a good thing, yah? The BP coffee will be interesting on a fast longer than 48 hours, I just do coffee on weekends normally, so it'll be yet another coffee experiment on that front. I never really drank coffee in the past, always had loads of energy naturally. But I have always enjoyed experimenting on myself one way or another, so this is gonna be interesting if nothing else. Add in some cold water therapy on my belly, where that last persistent refuge of my former love handles is still clinging on, it ought to do something for it...
    Wow, glad to read all that! Thanks for taking the time to post. Pre-primal, if I drank coffee, it was loaded. Little bit of coffee in my other sugary goodness. So when I started my journey, I cut all sugar cold turkey, even my one gallon a day of sweet tea. So when I found BP coffee back in the spring, I rather enjoyed it. It must be shaken though, I think. Makes it frothy and good. It use to have the same effect on me in the mornings as your kraut. But not so much anymore. I think I will try the kraut

I havent CT in the tub for quite some time. I was every night for a few weeks, but I can't wrap my head around it lately. However this past week, I have been using my oblong ice pack, that I made from a foodsaver vacuum sealed bag. I sit with it for a few hours each evening while relaxing and on my puter, then I take it to bed with me and lay on it. It has started to melt by this time, and it is inside a pillow case and I dont have to worry about freezer burn.

I think it is also helping me to stay cool. I get so hot during the night, and I am not pre-menie. Just had that checked at the doctor a month ago. I wake up hot on and off all night. I get hot after a meal. I get hot after my BP coffee. I am assuming it has to do with the fat & metabolism & fat burner yada yada, at least I am hoping it means my body is doing good things. It might be ignorant bliss but those ideas make me happy. Yes, I like it here in my bubble

Anyways, I am anxious to see how the ice packs do after I continue to do that longer. I thought DH would have a problem with my fasting, but he doesnt. Mostly our meal schedules dont coincide, so that is probably why. But my ice packs, he doesnt think I should do those. He said he has nothing to base it on, but he just doesnt think it would be a good idea. Although I did show him that vest posted on the CT thread the other day, and he asked if I ordered one, thinking he could wear it home after work while riding his motorcycle in 100+ temps. It is about a 50 minute ride one way. Might be good for him, huh? More ways than one.

Anyways, enjoyed all the info.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Dotty Byrd is offline Junior Member
    I'd be interested to know what your motivation is for such a long fast.

For me, it is fat loss. There are some great benefits aside from that, and I am glad for that, but for now, for me, it is all about the fat loss. There are some great threads on Intermittent Fasting. Worth the read And Mark has a nice 6 part series about all the benefits. And those are geared towards the shorter fasts I guess.

So for the longer fast, I was shooting for 48 because, and I don't recall all the science - just layman's terms, but basically your body does what it is going to do in the 48 hours. Not as many fat loss benefits past that. So I had hoped to do a 48 every week or so but I normally cant do more than 24.

Although there is that one dude that was on a year long fast for weight loss. Under Doctor supervision. Lost a ton of weight.

I am sure others will post with all the science jargon and studies to back it up

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I won't be joining (too much stress in my life right now) but I will read the thread with interest. Good luck to y'all. Looks like most of you joining in have fasted before, but I'll post my favorite drinking method, for anyone who might be interested.

8C water
    1tsp salt
    juice of one lemon
    1/2 pkt of stevia(if desired)

I keep this in a pitcher on my counter and alternate a glass of tap water with a glass of this 'electrolyte' water throughout the day. I find it really helps to cut down on any dizziness.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I won't be joining (too much stress in my life right now) but I will read the thread with interest. Good luck to y'all. Looks like most of you joining in have fasted before, but I'll post my favorite drinking method, for anyone who might be interested.

8C water
    1tsp salt
    juice of one lemon
    1/2 pkt of stevia(if desired)

I keep this in a pitcher on my counter and alternate a glass of tap water with a glass of this 'electrolyte' water throughout the day. I find it really helps to cut down on any dizziness.
    Awesome thanks! I usually IF every day but on my longer days, I'll add some sea salt to my morning water. I usually keep a slice of lemon in my water glass daily, so this sounds good to me Thanks!

gmatt is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotty Byrd View Post
    I'd be interested to know what your motivation is for such a long fast.
    Here is a link to part 2 of the BBC documentary which details the 3.5 day fast featuring Dr. Valter Longo.

P2 Horizon Eat, Fast and Live Longer - YouTube

The 3.5 day fasting part starts at about the 4 minute mark.

Edit: Sorry, you need to see part 3 to see the results of the 3.5 day fast http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG_aJ28g_DU
    Last edited by gmatt; 09-01-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    Okay Betorq - so you're in for part of it too. Good.
    As for the question about a true water fast - no, I will probably have coffee and/or tea, but that will be black only. My recent 21 day fast was the same - coffee and/or tea but zero calories.
    And what the heck is BP Coffee? I wasn't aware British Petroleum was in the coffee biz.

And Betorq - when you're in Marin, do you ever visit Northern California? Haha - just a little dig. Where I live, we consider the bay area to be central Ca. - I'm in one of the counties that borders Oregon.

Dotty Byrd is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    Here is a link to part 2 of the BBC documentary which details the 3.5 day fast featuring Dr. Valter Longo.

P2 Horizon Eat, Fast and Live Longer - YouTube

The 3.5 day fasting part starts at about the 4 minute mark.

Edit: Sorry, you need to see part 3 to see the results of the 3.5 day fast P3 Horizon Eat, Fast and Live Longer - YouTube
    I saw that, it's what started my journey but didn't he find that a day a week fasting was just as beneficial and less debilitating than the 5 day fast.

gmatt is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotty Byrd View Post
    I saw that, it's what started my journey but didn't he find that a day a week fasting was just as beneficial and less debilitating than the 5 day fast.
    In the program he ended up doing a 5/2 split ( two 600 cal days per week) after talking to Dr. Mattson at the NIA in Baltimore. He couldn't commit himself to a 3.5 day fast every month or two despite the obvious benefits outlined by Dr. Longo.

Interestingly, Dr. Mattson eats only one meal per day from Monday to Friday and two meals/day on the weekend. (This info was not in the documentary, however).

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast