Page 29 of 44 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Fasting Challenge Next Week page 29

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I don't get the logic here. Kraut still has carbs. Please explain.
    Carbs in Sauerkraut
    Popular Serving Sizes of Sauerkraut
    1/4 cup Popular Serving Sizes of Sauerkraut
    Net Carbs(g) 0.62
    Sugar(g) 0.63
    Fiber(g) 0.9
    Total Carbs(g) 1.52
    Ok, I concede there is "some" miniscule amounts of carbs & sugars in store bought sauerkrauts. 2 points favoring my argument: #1. I ferment my kimchis & sauerkrauts to the max, ie the fibres are softened from the conversion to fatty acids. Is that conversion total? I don't know. Are the simple sugars inherent in the veggies completely transformed? I can say without a doubt, YES! They are not tough membranes like the fibre, & they're the main food for the fermentation itself to happen. So sugar is gone, some, most or possibly all of the fibre is gone.(Will have to dig deeper on that question) #2. I only ate a spoonful, not a 1/4 cup. Mostly I drank the juices. Those pickle juices aren't at issue, agreed?
    I can see the idea that if something is pure fat, no carb or protein, it would not interrupt ketosis. So it wouldn't hurt but would it actually be helping any? I'm not sure on that one. Some coconut enthusiast sites say that you can drink jars of c oil and your fat will just melt off. I'm a little skeptical of that but perhaps a spoonful to take the edge off while fasting could be a useful tool. After all, if you got another day's worth of fasting from a tablespoon full of c-oil, it might be a good tradeoff.
    We're both on the same page on that one. I'll do a tsp on a fast knowing I stay in ketosis & autophagy. I guess I was doing a heaping tsp of kraut last week...For now, any future fasts I do, I'll confine myself to pickle juice as my 1st go-t0-hunger-helper. Coconut oil would be if I need to feel full or I wanted some energy.
    Still mulling over the options for next time. Being in ketosis when starting the fast definitely helped. And coming out of it with keto foods has helped to maintain the weight I lost without rebound. Lost five, bounced back one, then lost that again the next day.

Very interesting info Betorq. Thanks for doing the digging.
    It's my pleasure, as this kind of stuff is so interesting & beneficial to my own goals & activities, & hey it's great to be able to share it w/ others to their possible benefit as well. I actually lost weight since I broke the fast on Friday. I am leaner & look more muscular & my lover handle & belly padding is lessened, even though I've been my normal piggy self over the weekend.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

gmatt is offline Junior Member
    Betorq, thanks for the links earlier today.

I am on hour 72 now and this fast actually seems much easier than my 60 hour last week. A little hunger from time to time but not to bad. But no headaches or other common complaints.

I have read from a few sources that hunger actually goes down after day 3. Can someone who has done 3 + days comment on this?

When I 1st starting fasting in the distant 80s, I used to get headaches, serious belly hunger pains, dizziness, low energy: the whole 9 yards... The hunger went away along w/ the headaches between 1.5-2 days. It's different for everyone. I was very lean & super athletic while in college, but also eating low fat, low protein vegetarian. I've much more body fat that I now carry around as I'm 47 & eat loads of fat & calories, and don't count the numbers. But I'm also more fat-adapted now.

So it's safe to say that the more you IF & stay in the low to med end of the PB zone, the hunger pain/feelings out to lessen or possibly even for some, go away. I have no way of estimating when the hunger signal will stop for you. Each time ought to be easier than the last, all things being equal.
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-11-2012 at 10:05 AM.

gmatt is offline Junior Member
    Thanks a lot Betorq. Any other experienced long fasters, feel free to add your thoughts too!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    Thanks a lot Betorq. Any other experienced long fasters, feel free to add your thoughts too!
    I did a 72 hour one not starting in ketosis already and had this: day one HUNGRY, day two flying higher than a kite wheee!, day three feeling tired and cold. I ended it there. Lost four pounds and gained them all back.

This past time was 4 days but starting already firmly in ketosis. Day one, first 12 hours a little hungry. Day two feeling fine, steady energy. Day three, feeling a little lightheaded, drank some kraut juice and felt fine. Day four, feeling perfectly normal, not really hungry just missing food because it tastes good. Broke fast with keto foods. Lost five pounds which are still gone.

I'm really starting to think that there is something to this longer duration idea, maybe 7-10 days but I think getting into keto first is important.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    2 points favoring my argument: #1. I ferment my kimchis & sauerkrauts to the max, ie the fibres are softened from the conversion to fatty acids. Is that conversion total? I don't know. Are the simple sugars inherent in the veggies completely transformed? I can say without a doubt, YES! They are not tough membranes like the fibre, & they're the main food for the fermentation itself to happen. So sugar is gone, some, most or possibly all of the fibre is gone.(Will have to dig deeper on that question) #2. I only ate a spoonful, not a 1/4 cup. Mostly I drank the juices. Those pickle juices aren't at issue, agreed?
    We're both on the same page on that one. I'll do a tsp on a fast knowing I stay in ketosis & autophagy. I guess I was doing a heaping tsp of kraut last week...For now, any future fasts I do, I'll confine myself to pickle juice as my 1st go-t0-hunger-helper. Coconut oil would be if I need to feel full or I wanted some energy.
    Yes, that's an interesting question.
    No, I don't think the juice is a problem. It's mostly saltwater with perhaps a few stray probiotic organisms that might actually be helpful. Perhaps this is why your digestive system kept working on the fast while mine went offline.
    1.5 teaspoon of c-oil is 50 calories. I think that would be a good daily supplement limit I might use.

Am @ 24 hours into my weekly 48 hour fast. Only water since last night's shrimp dinner. Only water today but read that my cod liver pills only have 10 calories each, but since they are gelatin, I abstained. Did mix in 2 probiotic capsules into a glass of filtered water this morning, my 'breakfast'. Been drinking only water today, had 1/2 cup of orange pekoe tea ie 'lunch'... Breaking the fast @ about the 49.5 hour mark tomorrow night. Am bringing my own BBQ sauce, coconut oil & olive oil/apple cider vin salad dressing to the dinner I help/volunteer @ every Wednesday night, for 12 step recovering people @ local church. We prepare a major feast & clean up afterwards for them every week. Last week I was still on that 4 day fast & I didn't partake of the baked chicken meal. This week ought to be pulled pork, a yummy way to end my fast, w/ extra coco fat & my own home-made LC BBQ sauce ! Since I'm a kitchen preparer & server, I'll double my portion of pork & make myself a small salad. Dats da plan stan!
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-11-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    This article came up on the antioxidant thread but could be very relevant to us fasters as well.

Antioxidants block cell repair

The gist of it is that antioxidants block autophagy. Everyone takes them to block cell damage they also seem to block the removal and disposal of dead cells, autophagy. Those of us who take supplements might want to consider suspending them during a fast.

Interesting article with some more links about autophagy to explore.

Interesting read. Links too. Thanks for that.

I suspended Vit C & all other antioxidants a year ago this month, after a trusted friend/supplement formulator told me that there were reliable studies showing they weren't good for you in certain/many ways. I dabbled on & off w/ vit C, E & Alpha Lipoic Acid for some years. I do eat chlorella, whey & other super foods, high in certain antioxidants & vitamins. Foods vs pills & powders.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Those of us who take supplements might want to consider suspending them during a fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    I suspended Vit C & all other antioxidants a year ago this month, after a trusted friend/supplement formulator told me that there were reliable studies showing they weren't good for you in certain/many ways.
    I could save alot of money each month.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 29 of 44 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast