Page 28 of 44 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Fasting Challenge Next Week page 28

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    BOTTOM LINE: Ketosis, when sustained long term, ie CMA, DOES lead to autophagy. Come out of ketosis and autophagy ends with it. Get into & stay in ketosis by fasting or by eating fats and avoiding amino acids (proteins) and sugars/carbs. Therefore you will stay in autophagic states while consuming LOW amounts of fatty acids (50 calories or less? I think so and my experience and the experiences of others bears this out as true, at least anecdotally.) This may also be related to whether you are fully fat-adapted in the first place.

Coconut oil would qualify as would fully fermented low carb veggies whose soluable & insoluable fibres have been transformed into medium- and short-chain fatty acids. Butter, with residual amounts of errant proteins, might kick one out if consumed in excess while fasting, or more likely if moderately consumed, it would slow down maximal ketogenic and autophagic processes. Ghee would solve that issue entirely, as like coconut it is pure fat.

Some of the responses & questions @ the end of The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Ketosis cleans our cells are really good, as Dr Eades answers their questions in detail...

Some other valuable &/or interesting quotes cherry picked by moi' & excellent reads, links & vids on fasting.

"10-15 years ago Bill Bright published a book on fasting that includes safe ways to prepare the body for a fast & to return to regular eating and alternative ways to fast when one has restrictions from an absolute or water-only fast. This is for spiritual reasons, but the practice is fairly common in the Christian community today, and fasting also is common practice in yoga-type disciplines. So without knowing all of the modern science unlocking the numerous health benefits of fasting, it seems people have done this ritually or intuitively for thousands of years."

"I have had the absolute privilege of doing a 14 day fast (water only) with Alec Burton in Sydney, Australia. I have also seen first-hand the benefits of fasting in relation to kidney failure, whereby someone diagnosed with 8yrs to live (on regular dialysis) by the top nephrologists in Australia is still alive today, 28 years later. Alec is the best in the world in the field of fasting and I would highly recommend taking the time to look at the following links, doing some research on his site, and watching some of his videos:
    Alec Burton

Video: Dr. Burton “Fasting for Health and Recovery” | Alec Burton "

Cancer | Perfect Health Diet

The Truth About Cleansing and Fasting | LIVESTRONG.COM

Fasted training and autophagy, what are the parameters? - PaleoHacks.com

Fasted Training Boosts Muscle Growth? | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-10-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Ty for all that. I do have some ghee I can use instead of butter. I was starting to wonder today if I should just not worry so much about my carbs and maybe increase it. I guess this answers that

My 48 hours began a few minutes ago
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    Betorq - thanks for all the data. I will check this out sometime later in the week. This still makes me wonder about the statement I read about coffee kicking you out of autophagy - maybe that was a random statement by someone who didn't know for sure, but I'm really curious now. Coffee was a blessing on my extended fast. I managed lastweek without it, but I missed it.

I'm a bad boy! My 48 hr fast began since my dinner w/ excess calories not limited ones, as it should be done... I've just got this weakness for local prawns dipped in melted Kerrygold butter, olive oil & garlic powder & seasalt . Dinner was local organic broccoli florets steamed lightly then covered w/ slivers of Kerrygold white cheddar melted on them. Arugula and sweet peppers, my flesh is weak, lol...

It's ok, I may actually do a 48+ hr 100% water fast this time, just so I don't get locked into any one way of doing these things or in my thinking... Water fasting IS easier actually, no thinking about which pickle juice to have, or "should I nibble on some kraut..?"

Quote Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
    Betorq - thanks for all the data. I will check this out sometime later in the week. This still makes me wonder about the statement I read about coffee kicking you out of autophagy - maybe that was a random statement by someone who didn't know for sure, but I'm really curious now. Coffee was a blessing on my extended fast. I managed lastweek without it, but I missed it.
    Maybe it was coffee with half & half, haha...

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    BOTTOM LINE: Ketosis, when sustained long term, ie CMA, DOES lead to autophagy. Come out of ketosis and autophagy ends with it. Get into & stay in ketosis by fasting or by eating fats and avoiding amino acids (proteins) and sugars/carbs. Therefore you will stay in autophagic states while consuming LOW amounts of fatty acids (50 calories or less? I think so and my experience and the experiences of others bears this out as true, at least anecdotally.) This may also be related to whether you are fully fat-adapted in the first place.

Coconut oil would qualify as would fully fermented low carb veggies whose soluable & insoluable fibres have been transformed into medium- and short-chain fatty acids. Butter, with residual amounts of errant proteins, might kick one out if consumed in excess while fasting, or more likely if moderately consumed, it would slow down maximal ketogenic and autophagic processes. Ghee would solve that issue entirely, as like coconut it is pure fat.
    I don't get the logic here. Kraut still has carbs. Please explain.

I can see the idea that if something is pure fat, no carb or protein, it would not interrupt ketosis. So it wouldn't hurt but would it actually be helping any? I'm not sure on that one. Some coconut enthusiast sites say that you can drink jars of c oil and your fat will just melt off. I'm a little skeptical of that but perhaps a spoonful to take the edge off while fasting could be a useful tool. After all, if you got another day's worth of fasting from a tablespoon full of c-oil, it might be a good tradeoff.

Still mulling over the options for next time. Being in ketosis when starting the fast definitely helped. And coming out of it with keto foods has helped to maintain the weight I lost without rebound. Lost five, bounced back one, then lost that again the next day.

Very interesting info Betorq. Thanks for doing the digging.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I don't get the logic here. Kraut still has carbs. Please explain.
    Critical Mas dude says that the Perfect Diet ppl say kraut is okay. I think on another fasting thread, someone presented the page number from the book, but this is from Critical Mas:

Well coconut oil by itself may not be enough for the hungry. Have no fear, the Perfect Health Diet book came up with another idea. It said you can consume fermented vegetables on a fast. Wouldn’t the carbs from the vegetables interfere with achieving ketosis? Nope. From the book:
    Most vegetable carbohydrates are intercepted by gut bacteria, which digest vegetable fiber into short-chain fatty acids.
    If the book is correct, I could eat coconut oil and sauerkraut and still go into ketosis. I decided to test it out.

The cortido sauerkraut has some carrots, so I was concerned that those carbs might be enough to prevent ketosis. But it didn’t. At 2:30 PM, I tested Moderate ketones on the Ketostix. Victory!

Ok, first morning of my fast. I am a bit ticked at my scale, I know it could be several things, but it says I weigh the same as the first morning of my fast last week! And during that time since, I went down about 3lbs, and over the last 5 days, slowly up 3lbs. Well not so slow this morning, it was 1.1 up this morning. arrgghhh

Attn: Babble Alert

I know not fat. And while I quit trying to figure out the scale, it still aggravates me. I did come off of my fast hungrier, and one day I had 1900+ calories but I had actually lost .4 that next day. Most of my days alternated between 1300 & 1500. I would hate to think that I am suppose to stay around 1200 or lower each day Net carbs high 30, lower 40, with a 50 and an 86 thrown in there. Fats 88 - 127. Protein still all over the place. 78-127, but mostly 80 days. But I have been more active outside also. And when I say active, it is fairly physical doing stuff in the yard/farm. Quite a bit of lifting semi-heavy things.

I just find my n=1 so hard to figure out, because I always seem to have so many variables. I can definitely see though, that all calories are not created equal. It is just aggravating sometimes, because I was losing more weight CW-style on 6+ meals a day, with beans most every day. Usually 2 -3 fruit a day. Potatoes most days. Granted I was hungry all day long. Went to bed and woke up hungry. But I kept calories in range but always at the top of my range - carbs were always topped out, and now since March I have been at the bottom-mid range and losing more slowly, sometimes even only a few pounds a month where I was losing 8 a month. And I know, you start to slow down the closer you get, but I am only half way, if that. I was doing about an hour a day of some kind of cardio. I quit doing that also because it seemed to make me even hungrier.

Argghh. I am just babbling. I guess I should journey so not to bore everyone but it helps to babble sometimes.
    Last edited by gopintos; 09-11-2012 at 06:31 AM. Reason: can't spell

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    But I kept calories in range but always at the top of my range - carbs were always topped out, and now since March I have been at the bottom-mid range and losing more slowly, sometimes even only a few pounds a month where I was losing 8 a month.
    I think I need to evaluate this more, really look at this and experiment. I am just worried about going backwards, but I think I need to really play around with all my numbers - calories and macros. And then part of me thinks I am over thinking this. I need to just go back to when I was just dumbly losing weight, when I was armed with no information at all. Back to when just cutting out sweets, breads, pastas seemed to do the trick. ugghh

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I hit 20 to 21 hrs yesterday with 2 cups of broth. The hardest was hour 18. I was driving, and literally had to tajke deep belly breath to calm the spams in the stomach.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 28 of 44 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast