Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Fasting Challenge Next Week page 26

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I broke my fast with about 3 ounces of pemmican, then some bits of leftover chicken. Later, had 3 beers, ordered Thai food; hot-spiced beef and ate about a cup of the sticky rice and had a couple of glasses of red wine and then about an ounce of dark chocolate. This morning I was also up only 1 pound of the 7 I lost. Had a pesto-veggie omelette this morning with coffee. I just bottled about 8 quarts of sauerkraut which has fermented for 2 weeks, and I drank the kraut juice. Just like Betorq mentioned - within 5 minutes had to visit the bathroom - wow!

Paleobird, I'm interested to hear how you do the marrow. I love marrow that's been cooked in a stew or as part of a roast, but when I've just roasted the bones by themselves, it smells bad and I just can't get over the smell.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
    I broke my fast with about 3 ounces of pemmican, then some bits of leftover chicken. Later, had 3 beers, ordered Thai food; hot-spiced beef and ate about a cup of the sticky rice and had a couple of glasses of red wine and then about an ounce of dark chocolate. This morning I was also up only 1 pound of the 7 I lost. Had a pesto-veggie omelette this morning with coffee. I just bottled about 8 quarts of sauerkraut which has fermented for 2 weeks, and I drank the kraut juice. Just like Betorq mentioned - within 5 minutes had to visit the bathroom - wow!
    Man do you know how to break a fast or what

I have found, in the plumbing department, that it doesnt affect me much one way or the other. CO, the kraut, the kraut juice, nothing. Well maybe I havent actually had enough juice. Nothing spectacular during the fast. Nothing spectacular after the fast. And granted, it was only 2 days. Anyways, I dont know if not much in the pipes or if the pipes are clogged. But, I think I need to cut the calcium supplements. Not really necessary, right? And could be causing some plumbing issues? I do take magnesium also. I wouldnt say constipated really, I do still go but nothing like I use to on SAD. That was like clock work.

Glad I don't know any of you in person.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Paleobird Guest
    Paleobird, I'm interested to hear how you do the marrow. I love marrow that's been cooked in a stew or as part of a roast, but when I've just roasted the bones by themselves, it smells bad and I just can't get over the smell.
    I just roast the bones on a cookie tray in the oven. I love the smell. The only thing I can see smelling bad is if you put it on too high a heat and the bone starts to burn. I use 350 max.

I don't know why I don't like the smell. I like tongue. I like heart. I like chicken gizzards and livers. I adore beef liver, blood sausage, sweetbreads, oxtail. i cannot stomach chitterlings. I will suck the marrow out of bones that have been roasted in a stew or as part of a roast. For some reason, when they're roasted alone, the smell really repels me. So... it seems that you're not doing anything with them that I didn't. I was thinking maybe I was doing something really wrong, but seems like I just don't like roasted bones...

Paleobird Guest
    I've been waiting around all day and wondering if I would get hungry but I didn't. I finally ate a few oz of cheese and a handful of pine nuts just now more because it sounded tasty than actual hunger. It was only about 600 calories but I really don't feel like eating anything else. Weird. Off to bed.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Betorq - MAS talks about autophagy and ketosis, but seems to then focus only on ketosis to the point of making it seem as if they are the same. As I mentioned earlier, I had read somewhere that even coffee interrupts autophagy. Being in ketosis and working on weight loss is one thing. Autophagy is a separate condition from ketosis and seems to be a major benefit of fasting - especially relating to life extension benefits, reducing seizures, etc. Just because he is still in ketosis, doesn't mean his body is still in the autophagy stage, so I'm not sold on the "no hunger IF method". If fat loss is the only goal, sure. But to realize the other benefits of fasting, we may need to be more strict.
    Caffeine from coffee I'll give you that one. I think this issue of halting autophagy whilst staying in ketosis ala consumption of small quantities of fermented-already-low-carb-veggies deserves further deconstruction absent of our theorizing. Will get back to you on the subject once I've dug deeper...Do we at least agree that pickle juice would NOT kick one out of autophagy as it contains no fat, protein & negligible calories? Do you believe autophagy is protein & carb dependent, not fat dependent? That might be a starting point of discussion going forward...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I'm finding your lack of hunger after the end of the fast very interesting. Mostly because it seems to be lasting for so long. I wonder if it is a side-effect of you already being in such solid ketosis/being fat-adapted before you started.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    But, I think I need to cut the calcium supplements. Not really necessary, right? And could be causing some plumbing issues?
    I didnt take my calcium last night, so I don't know if it is too soon or if this is why, but I don't have to call a plumber.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I'm finding your lack of hunger after the end of the fast very interesting. Mostly because it seems to be lasting for so long. I wonder if it is a side-effect of you already being in such solid ketosis/being fat-adapted before you started.
    Yep. It's really strange and again this morning I'm just not hungry. I've never ended a fast before where I didn't feel like chomping down the whole fridge for a few days afterwards.

Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast