Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Fasting Challenge Next Week page 25

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
    Betorq - I'll consider doing it with the BP coffee and some kraut juice next time. However, from what I've read, caffeine interrupts autophagy. I'm wondering if the kraut juice does that as well.

How's your CC routine coming along? I just did 1 set of 40 incline pushups and didn't feel as strong as when I did them on Tuesday. Makes sense, but I'm still going to try to get through another 2 sets.
    Yeah, i actually only had 1 cuppa joe on this 4 day fast, but I did have a teeny sample cuppa joe @ Whole Foods that next day, so I guess I had 1.25 cups of coffee during those 4 days. Man, I ate 2 dinners & fell asleep earlier, felt great to eat 2 meals & sleep soundly too, 2.5 hours! I thought I'd lay down & take a 20-30 minute nap, haha Now its midnight & I'm off to get in another 6 hours, & will be up bright & early to do my CC & morning puttering... My CC felt great to do during this, except that I was weaker during the fast, mostly it was my pullups that suffered the most during the fast. It'll be interesting to see if I can resume my pullups tomorrow where I left them Monday, now that I'm eating normally again.

Today's Convict Conditioning: Lower Body (mostly)
    Warm up: drank 2 fulll glasses of filtered water & took a walk
    1. Planks: 2 min in standard push up position, 1 min each side, another 2 mins in pushup position
    2. What I call "walking to & fro". which is carrying a 50lb dumb bell close to my body & doing slow measured long strides with pauses to accentuate the bent knee in each stride. I walk from one end of the room to the other. By the time I get towards the end, its a struggle (a good thing)
    3. 3 sets of 30 standing squats in different feet/hand positions. Last set of 30 was done w/ that 50 lb dumb bell, very slowly.
    4. 200 bicycle kicks, 100 each direction
    5. Standing w/ hands on hips, raise 1 leg perpendicular to the ground & hold til muscle faliure. Repeat with other leg.
    6. Stretching
    7. Breakfast & a shower

Tomorrow is upper body sequences
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-07-2012 at 09:22 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    Marrow bones... your making my mouth water. do you order them online?
    <sluuuurp> *wipes grease off fingers to be able to type*

No, I get mine from a local meat CSA where I also get my grass fed beef and lamb. They are surprised but pleased when anyone asked for the "odd bits" like liver or bones so I get them fairly cheap.

What a wonderfully primal way to break a fast. I feel so totally satisfied. I didn't even get around to the Fat Bread I made. That is for tomorrow. I think I just ate like 2000 calories worth of bone marrow.

Mmmmmmmmmarrrrrow...............

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
    Betorq - I'll consider doing it with the BP coffee and some kraut juice next time. However, from what I've read, caffeine interrupts autophagy. I'm wondering if the kraut juice does that as well.
    Intermittent Fasting – The No Hunger Method | Critical MAS Intermittent Fasting – The No Hunger Method Oct 5th, 2011 by MAS.
    I started doing Intermittent Fasting over three years ago. My strategy has always been to just deal with the hunger. If you ignore it, it goes away. When I first began fasting, I’d think about my hunger constantly. These days, it barely grabs my attention. Recently, I was inspired by a post over at my favorite nutrition website Perfect Health Diet to try an alternate approach to Intermittent Fasting.
    Before I go into the changes I tested, let me go over two benefits from Intermittent Fasting.

1. By restricting carbohydrates for an extended period, you can shift your body into a state of ketosis. Ketosis has a host of health benefits. One of which is you burn fat at a quicker pace.
    2. By restricting protein, you can trigger autophagy. This is the process where cells consume and recycle their own damaged material. This results in many health benefits, including life extension.

The Perfect Health Diet post Ketogenic Diets, I: Ways to Make a Diet Ketogenic is a detailed explanation of the ketogenic metabolic pathway. The part of the article I found most interesting was how the use of coconut oil, which is loaded with short chain fats, can accelerate the production of ketones.
    This means that if you eat a lot of coconut oil (which is 58% short-chain fats), you deliver a lot of fat to the liver for disposal. The disposal process for fat is conversion to acetyl CoA followed by either burning in the TCA cycle or conversion to ketones.
    Since that post was written, I have done many fasts where I consume nothing but 1 to 3 tablespoons of coconut oil. I find it has a slightly sweet taste and it does lower my hunger level. To confirm I was still hitting ketosis, I used Ketostix to measure ketones. After a 16 hour fast with coconut oil, I was measuring Small to Moderate ketones. Pretty cool.

Well coconut oil by itself may not be enough for the hungry. Have no fear, the Perfect Health Diet book came up with another idea. It said you can consume fermented vegetables on a fast. Wouldn’t the carbs from the vegetables interfere with achieving ketosis? Nope. From the book:
    Most vegetable carbohydrates are intercepted by gut bacteria, which digest vegetable fiber into short-chain fatty acids.
    If the book is correct, I could eat coconut oil and sauerkraut and still go into ketosis. I decided to test it out.

The cortido sauerkraut has some carrots, so I was concerned that those carbs might be enough to prevent ketosis. But it didn’t. At 2:30 PM, I tested Moderate ketones on the Ketostix. Victory!

Cortido Sauerkraut – Ketosis never tasted so good!
    So if you’ve put off Intermittent Fasting, because you can’t deal with the hunger, you now have no excuses. Get yourself some coconut oil and make some fermented veggies!
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-07-2012 at 10:02 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Paleobird Guest
    That sounds like a plan that could make an extended (7-10 day) fast very do-able.

heatherdarbs Guest
    I just did my first 16 hour fast and caved - then I ate like a madwoman later that evening. What did I do wrong??

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    That sounds like a plan that could make an extended (7-10 day) fast very do-able.
    If I get the same benefits, I am okay with my fasts being modified. Each time I seem to be able to go longer on less, but if I get the same benefits, why torture myself. If I don't have the BPcoffee, I warm up my kraut and add CO.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I havent had that many calories in over 9 or 10 months! Macros are 39 net carbs, protein 134, and fat is 127. Can't believe it.
    I was curious what my scale would say this morning. I expected a gain but it was .4 down. I had already been contemplating a 48 this weekend but doubt I can, but thought I would just take it as long as I could.

I was fixing my "coffee" and asked DH if he wanted what I was having for breakfast, and he said 'not if you are going to put fat in it" and I said, fat is where it's at baby. And he said, no ty but it seems to be working for you though.

Quote Originally Posted by heatherdarbs View Post
    I just did my first 16 hour fast and caved - then I ate like a madwoman later that evening. What did I do wrong??
    How long have you been primal? My experience - It was months for me before I sort of fell into it naturally. First pushing breakfast back, then skipping to 16, then 19, then 20's, then 24, then 36, and this was my longest at 48. But I do modified versions.

Plus I had been doing it Fast-5 style for months also before I moved on. I didnt really do my first 24 until after I learned about the kraut. Now it gets easy and easier to do longer and longer w/o any/many modifications. 24's are nothing now. So now I am hoping the 48's will be easy. (easier)
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    Betorq - MAS talks about autophagy and ketosis, but seems to then focus only on ketosis to the point of making it seem as if they are the same. As I mentioned earlier, I had read somewhere that even coffee interrupts autophagy. Being in ketosis and working on weight loss is one thing. Autophagy is a separate condition from ketosis and seems to be a major benefit of fasting - especially relating to life extension benefits, reducing seizures, etc. Just because he is still in ketosis, doesn't mean his body is still in the autophagy stage, so I'm not sold on the "no hunger IF method". If fat loss is the only goal, sure. But to realize the other benefits of fasting, we may need to be more strict.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Oddest thing happened last night~ I had an overwhelming craving for green olives I tried to fight it, but around 9pm I caved. Ate about 10 of those queen sized pimento stuffed olives and then I was satisfied~ didn't want anything else. I guess technically, I broke the fast but considering olives are mostly fat and I only ate +/- 200 calories worth, I think it's not a bad cheat~ maybe it was a salt thing, although I have been taking my salt. Anyway, today I break for real. I'm looking forward to salad again. I really like fresh crispy greens! And steak!

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Interesting note on break-fast foods. I slurped up a boatload of bone marrow last night and this morning I was only up one of the five pounds I lost on the fast. Not bad. The marrow was just calling to me from the fridge. Zero interest in fruit or potatoes which were also in there.

Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast