Page 22 of 44 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Fasting Challenge Next Week page 22

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    56+ hours in it. I was around food all day, evening too. But it's not been an issue as I'm not hungry. I have vacillated between feeling great & having tons of energy, especially mentally & verbally (well what else is new? he speaks!) & also felt tired & weak some too. I walked a LOT today & it's been hot & muggy here. No calories, just water the past 7+ hours. Am pretty sure I'll break my fast on Friday as planned. Not sure if it'll be a break-the-fast in the morning which would be 90+ hours or that afternoon (4:30ish was my last feed time) which would be 96 hours ie 4 solid days. I feel like I could keep going much longer but I do love food & already miss eating it, lol...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eroc View Post
    Piscator,
    Made it 50hrs, my longest yet. Will attempt 96.
    Eroc
    Great to see you here, brother!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    You guys are doing fantastic!

Let's see. I did my 48. Then yesterday was more like an 18 or 20. And the night ended with about 100 extra calories, for some reason, not sure how or why. But anyways, this morning was still a .7 loss. So total so far this week, w/o feeling deprived at all, is 2.9lbs. And guess what? The week ain't over. The month ain't over. And 2.9lbs is the total amount I lost for all of August, after the ups and downs. So yes, I could still have my ups and downs. But my head is in a better place. And it has been, but where I use to accept the consequences of maybe a bun over the weekend, I don't really care to deal with the days which turns into a week of no forward progress. Actually a little backwards movement even before I can make it back to where I was. Just tired of that kind of progress for the last few months. I am ready for some real forward momentum now.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    Gopintos - good work! The backsliding you mention is what I do regularly and is what prompted my earlier 21 day fast. I had managed to keep in 5 pound range after losing an initial 20 pounds over 2 years ago. I felt much better, but it wasn't where I really wanted to be. I guess the slow, steady progress wasn't enough motivation, and so I would still binge on pizza and ice cream and beer on the weekends and take the rest of the following week to get back to where I had started the previous Friday.

Anyway, I'm at 57 hours now. Seems the hunger has abated. I was hungry most of yesterday. I didn't do any strength training yesterday, but am planning to today. Yesterday evening I took my bicycle out - it has been a loooong time since I've ridden it. I wanted to do that to give my dog a good run. We only went about 3 miles, but it was hot and he hasn't run much lately so I was concerned about over-working him more than overworking me.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    this morning i awoke at 5 and could not go back to sleep. i set out early on my five mile walk. Just broke my fast at 58 hours, 3 raw eggs and milk. feel much better now, my body was telling me it was time. this is a new personal record for me by 10 hours. I thoroughly enjoyed this fast and have learned a great deal from. I also feel stronger mentally and physically which was a goal of mine. I weigh in at 157 pounds, at the beginning I weighed 161.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    this morning i awoke at 5 and could not go back to sleep. i set out early on my five mile walk. Just broke my fast at 58 hours, 3 raw eggs and milk. feel much better now, my body was telling me it was time. this is a new personal record for me by 10 hours. I thoroughly enjoyed this fast and have learned a great deal from. I also feel stronger mentally and physically which was a goal of mine. I weigh in at 157 pounds, at the beginning I weighed 161.
    Well done, Bennett. The longest i've ever done is 72. That't why this 4 day one appealed to me a bit. Push the limits a little bit further each time.

I'm at 60 hours and going fine. Just sipping on a non-BP coffee/Crio Bru mix. Two pounds down yesterday and another one today.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Hi all~
    Back on track today, yesterday went well, we went to the historic mining 'ghost' town of Jerome AZ. So interesting/fun! Dinner went as planned, kept it low and back on board today. Going to continue on and break on Saturday~ that will make the first part 48h. and this one, 72h. Would like to have done this all at once, but two shorter fasts are better than none, right?

Looks like everyone is doing great!

Paleobird Guest
    I'm really intrigued about the idea of an extended fast of say 7-10 days, particularly from the neurological repair angle. I think perhaps I will do that sometime this fall. Right now it is hot out and so it is harder to get out of the house and distract myself. My dog doesn't even want to go for a walk.

It's not like I really even feel hungry at this point, it's more like I just miss eating. Food is fun.

I found this part of Betorq's post upthread particularly interesting:

"From the third day onward the rate of the breakdown of fatty acids from adipose or fat tissue continues to increase, hitting its peak on the tenth day. This seven day period, after the body has shifted completely over to ketosis, is where the maximum breakdown of fat tissue occurs. As part of protein conservation, the body also begins seeking out all non-body-protein sources of fuel: nonessential cellular masses such as fibroid tumors and degenerative tissues, bacteria, viruses, or any other compounds in the body that can be used for fuel. This is part of the reason that fasting produces the kind of health effects it does. Also, during this period of heightened ketosis the body is in a similar state as the one that occurs during sleep - a rest and detoxification cycle. It begins to focus on the removal of toxins from the body and the healing and regeneration of damaged tissues and organs.

Fasting has been found to help a number of disease conditions, often permanently. There have been a number of intriguing clinical trials and studies treating numerous disease conditions with fasting.

A number of studies have found that fasting is beneficial in epilepsy, reducing the length, number, and severity of seizures. Fasting is especially effective for helping alleviate or cure childhood epilepsy."
    Last edited by Paleobird; 09-06-2012 at 10:19 AM.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    It's not like I really even feel hungry at this point, it's more like I just miss eating. Food is fun.

I found this part of Betorq's post upthread particularly interesting:

"From the third day onward the rate of the breakdown of fatty acids from adipose or fat tissue continues to increase, hitting its peak on the tenth day.
    That is the trouble I have sometimes. I am not hungry, I just want to eat. Earlier I did some work in my kitchen, just removing everything off the counters. I didnt have much anyways, but I use to set out pretty jars of this or that, so I am just making sure it is all out of sight until I need it.

On that article, the 7 - 10 day thing, I think can be shortened if you are already in ketosis to begin with. Save a couple of days. JMO though. Seems as though 7 days should suffice.

This seven day period, after the body has shifted completely over to ketosis, is where the maximum breakdown of fat tissue occurs.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    On that article, the 7 - 10 day thing, I think can be shortened if you are already in ketosis to begin with. Save a couple of days. JMO though. Seems as though 7 days should suffice.
    True. I may have a three day head start on the process. I must say that I think going in to the fast was easier this time than the last time I tried it (not VLC).

Page 22 of 44 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast