Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fasting Challenge Next Week page 2

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    no freakin way!
    good luck tho, let us know how it goes...

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
    Gopintos - if you go until Thursday morning, that's better than 48. The biggest secret to fasting success? No tv.
    Interesting. I know that I gave up the Food Network. And I don't really "watch" but it is on and I am in the same room sometimes. Mostly in my down time, I am right here. I have alot of things I want to get done outside next week, so it might be a good time as far as keeping busy, but I also see it making me hungrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
    Gopintos - 60lbs?! Good work!
    Ty 61.6 but who's counting

I have heard the hardest part is getting past the first 24. I think I went 30 or 36 one time, so beyond that still eludes me.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    By Tuesday night it will be 24 hrs. Go to bed and shortly after you wake up it'll be 36.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Interesting. I know that I gave up the Food Network. And I don't really "watch" but it is on and I am in the same room sometimes. Mostly in my down time, I am right here. I have alot of things I want to get done outside next week, so it might be a good time as far as keeping busy, but I also see it making me hungrier.
    Funny~ when I'm fasting, I love watching cooking shows. Oddly though, I never make the recipes after the fast is over!
    Ty 61.6 but who's counting

I have heard the hardest part is getting past the first 24. I think I went 30 or 36 one time, so beyond that still eludes me.
    I try to keep the carbs low on the days before a fast~ makes it easier, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B-D View Post
    no freakin way!
    good luck tho, let us know how it goes...
    Tom B-D - My legal team says your comment has committed you to the fast. Thanks for joining us!

Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    I try to keep the carbs low on the days before a fast~ makes it easier, I think.
    I will have to remember that. Normally when I try for a longer fast, it was because I was a bad girl over the weekend. And I have never been all that bad, maybe a bun here one day and pizza there another day, etc. And I normally don't have any 20% during a typical week but sometimes over the weekend, when we have guests or meet up to go out, etc. it happens.

Anyways, very interesting.

Nady's right of course, but if I'm going on a fast, I'm doing some drinking. I think half of it is having done it before and knowing what you're capable of. As in most things in life, intention can carry you far beyond. I'll be living it up this weekend.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Is this a true "water only" fast, or can we still have our yerba mate, tea, and coffee if desired?

gmatt is offline Member
    In the BBC Horizon docu. on fasting, Dr. Valter Longo had Dr. Mosley fast for 3.5 days. He drank water and had one cup of Miso soup (50 cal) per day. Longo recommended to do this once every month or two. Interestingly, he did not recommend daily calorie restriction which seems to be wise given the recent study announcement from the NIA http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/30/sc...eys-finds.html

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Is this a true "water only" fast, or can we still have our yerba mate, tea, and coffee if desired?

I have never done a true water fast. I do the little cheats or hacks, whatever you want to call them, I prefer to call them ummm, what sounds good, tools maybe, I prefer to use tools that have been shown (or suggested) to give you all the benefits of fasting but still use a couple of things to help you out. Like BP coffee for me for breakfast. Some days I dont feel I need or want it, but for a longer fast I am sure I will. And I might have another for lunch. And then I read that a little sauerkraut (anything fermented I guess) doesnt negate fasting benefits. And then I read about the week long fasts, eat a day, then back to fasting, and they use certain supplements.

So for me, no, it is not an absolute fast. I know everyone has different opinions on what constitutes a fast, but for me, if these other things help you get the same fasting results, I am going to use them as long as I need them. Maybe it is a crutch, but even a crutch can be useful until you build your strength and don't need them any longer. I might not use them, but I like knowing I have it to fall back on.
    Last edited by gopintos; 09-01-2012 at 06:52 AM.

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast