Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Fasting Challenge Next Week page 13

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I'm "using up" a few things that won't keep for four days like some really ripe avocados.
    OH yal thanks. I bought some others I need to freeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    If you start to feel cold, lightheaded, off balance, it's probably dehydration/electrolyte imbalance.
    Yal I always thought I needed food, so this time I made sure to include a little sea salt in my water.

Okay, I have surpassed 24. I am getting a little hungry but not bad. I did my elliptical and I feel perfectly fine. I can't remember if it was a 24 or on the 30 (or 36, cant remember how long) but I tried to exercise at the end of it and thought I was going to pass out. Granted I didnt exert as much this time, but I felt like I could have.

I feel pretty good actually When I think I am getting hungry, I keep telling myself my body is eating the fat.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    I'm in! I can do 60 hr. fasts fairly easily and I'm usually not hungry after-just eat cause I feel like I 'should', so this shouldn't be too much harder. My only difficulty with fasting is sleeping when I'm hungry-anyone have any tips for that?
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    I am now on hour 24. My longest in the past was around 30 hours. I am aiming for 3.5 days (recommended for health reasons by Dr. Longo in the Eat, Fast documentary on BBC) as a maximum and 48 hours as a minimum. Good luck to all.
    Thanks for posting that documentary. I watched it after you posted it here & forwarded it onwards to a friend/business partner, who only watches documentaries & only reads non-fiction. He's interested in Primal/Paleo lifestyle but has not jumped aboard fully quite yet.

I'm committing to a minimum of 48 hours. Max would be 3.5 to 4 days. BP coffee w/ tsp coconut oil, non-sugary kombucha & nibbles of kimchi or sauerkraut or their fermented waters (aka pickle juice) are allowed, all under 50 calories, in case I feel I need/want it...
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-03-2012 at 03:38 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by tradawg View Post
    I'm in! I can do 60 hr. fasts fairly easily and I'm usually not hungry after-just eat cause I feel like I 'should', so this shouldn't be too much harder. My only difficulty with fasting is sleeping when I'm hungry-anyone have any tips for that?
    Try drinking some pickle juice or small-medium glass of kombucha. 8 oz of kombucha, on average (based on store bought brands) is 30 calories. That may help you sleep & its a hack that doesn't technically break the autophagy...

anova01 is offline Member
    Just finished dinner - starting my fast now.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot

12 week health challenge (95%, more moving)
    Start -- March 1st -- 173.4
    End -- May 24th -- 158.6

Paleobird Guest
    Especially if it's your first time going that long~ once your body has used up most of you glycogen stores, it starts to dump excess water~ you know, that 2 pounds a day thing~ but along with that water go electrolytes too. It's easy to become dehydrated if you're drinking lots of water or still having summer temps.

If you start to feel cold, lightheaded, off balance, it's probably dehydration/electrolyte imbalance. It does not mean you shouldn't fast, but that you need to drink less water and take more unprocessed salt and/or electrolytes. I use Celtic or RealSalt for supplementation. A healthy pinch (about tsp.) in a liter of water is about right. I've read several places that feeling cold is a problem for some~ here in hell, it's a welcome relief ~ but it's mostly a salt/water issue, not a *need to eat*.

Looking forward to starting tomorrow~
    Thanks for a good reminder Nady.

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Try drinking some pickle juice or small-medium glass of kombucha. 8 oz of kombucha, on average (based on store bought brands) is 30 calories. That may help you sleep & its a hack that doesn't technically break the autophagy...
    I've heard pickle juice can be effective against muscle cramps so perhaps this ties in to the electrolyte issue Nady raises.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Especially if it's your first time going that long~ once your body has used up most of you glycogen stores, it starts to dump excess water~ you know, that 2 pounds a day thing~ but along with that water go electrolytes too. It's easy to become dehydrated if you're drinking lots of water or still having summer temps.

If you start to feel cold, lightheaded, off balance, it's probably dehydration/electrolyte imbalance. It does not mean you shouldn't fast, but that you need to drink less water and take more unprocessed salt and/or electrolytes. I use Celtic or RealSalt for supplementation. A healthy pinch (about tsp.) in a liter of water is about right. I've read several places that feeling cold is a problem for some~ here in hell, it's a welcome relief ~ but it's mostly a salt/water issue, not a *need to eat*.

Looking forward to starting tomorrow~
    Nice post, I will plan on making a trip to the health store to pick up a better brand of salt. I currently have been using sea salt from Morton's. Will anyone else be supplementing salt during the fast? Going to have my last meal tonight around 9. Quart of raw milk and 3 raw eggs fresh from my dads farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hey Betorq, glad you'll be joining us. Tell me, what is the logic behind nibbling on fermented stuff? Wouldn't there be carbs involved there? Just curious. I bought this jar of wonderful fermented stuff at the the farmers market that you would like. It's called green detox and it's a mix of kraut, dulse, onions, spirulina, chlorella and salt water. Supposed to be good for you and surprisingly delicious. I would love to chomp on some of that during the fast.
    I did some experimenting the past couple of days & evenings, with drinking kombucha or 'pickle juice' when I've felt hunger (I've been pulling some late nighters due to business). So I feel the drinks are fine, as a kombucha is approximately 30 calories for a 8 oz glass. Nibbling on miniscule amounts of sauerkraut or kimchi would be a last resort if I were feeling weak or dizzy & salt water, pickle juice nor kombucha were solving it. I think that any food, if kept under 50 calories, will NOT break a fast ie interrupt autophagy, or if it does interrupt it, not for very long... 50 calories is consumed pretty darn fast, we're not talking 50g we're talking calories!

PB, do you have any calorie & nutritional breakdowns on that Farmers Mkt product? If so, it'd make it easier to decide whether to imbibe on any of it in the coming days... I don't feel that a longish 100% water fast with ZERO nutrition is neccessary nor good, unless one is fasting for religious, spiritual reasons or in case of extreme illness or morbid obesity.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Thanks...will do!
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Paleobird Guest
    I did some experimenting the past couple of days & evenings, with drinking kombucha or 'pickle juice' when I've felt hunger (I've been pulling some late nighters due to business). So I feel the drinks are fine, as a kombucha is approximately 30 calories for a 8 oz glass. Nibbling on miniscule amounts of sauerkraut or kimchi would be a last resort if I were feeling weak or dizzy & salt water, pickle juice nor kombucha were solving it. I think that any food, if kept under 50 calories, will NOT break a fast ie interrupt autophagy, or if it does interrupt it, not for very long... 50 calories is consumed pretty darn fast, we're not talking 50g we're talking calories!

PB, do you have any calorie & nutritional breakdowns on that Farmers Mkt product? If so, it'd make it easier to decide whether to imbibe on any of it in the coming days... I don't feel that a longish 100% water fast with ZERO nutrition is neccessary nor good, unless one is fasting for religious, spiritual reasons or in case of extreme illness or morbid obesity.
    No the stuff I bought was handmade by the guy who runs the booth so there is no official info on it. I would assume it would be similar to kraut but maybe a bit higher carb because of the onions.

Depending on the brand of kombucha it can be quite high in sugar so I don't think I want to "go there". I think there may be some logic behind the argument that pure fat with no carbs or protein will not interfere with the fat burning. We'll see.

I think the 500 calorie/day limit I've set is reasonable. People manage that on the HcG protocol without keeling over. (For the record, I don't believe that HcG is anything other than a very expensive and therefore very potent placebo. A 500 cal/day diet will make you lose weight. I really don't think pregnant horse urine has anything to do with it.)
    Last edited by Paleobird; 09-03-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast