Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My wife's a mess, where to start? page 2

thwilson is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    With those spinal issues my first stop would be at a Chiropractors office. Take your previous imaging tests with you for them to evaluate. Get a consultation and see if they think they can help. Work on the structural side in that manner and follow the PB or paleo autoimmune protocol STRICTLY for at least 30 days and more likely longer. 7 days is nothing in terms of an elimination diet, so you do need more time.
    Thank you for the reply. Tried two or three chiropractors (bit of a blur), either without benefit or with temporary relief.

I agree, 7 days is not long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SuBee View Post
    Maybe I missed something, but are you and your wife eating a Primal diet yet? I would start there, at the very least.

I have a copy of It Starts With Food next to me; it's a great book to go along with Mark's Primal Blueprint. Their recommendations for an autoimmune protocol include eliminating added sugars and grains (basic primal stuff), but also eliminating eggs, nightshades, dairy, nuts and seeds for 90 days. They also suggest eliminating NSAIDs for this time because they are so hard on your gut.
    I also have the book but have not yet read it. I think eliminating 7/8 things for 90 days will be daunting. If there is a way to start more gradually, I believe adherance would be more likely. I can try to pitch this, thanks for the reference.

Quote Originally Posted by SuBee View Post
    I have a friend with multiple health issues who is having good luck with the GAPS protocol, that would be another avenue to check out.
    Thank you for this resource, it is a new one to me. I will definitely check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I will catch hell on here, but I would recommend you go to Home | JackKruse.com and read all his stuff onhealing the gut. Your wife's story is a lot like my wife's, she has started regaining her health since focusing on her gut. With a bad gut flora, you can't absorb vitamins and make hormones--I'm not making that up, it's true. Lots of bone broth, vitamin D, and labs need to be done. You can't fix a problem like this with paleo eating--you need to find a good doctor who will listen and test a lot. Labs need to be in the upper quartile of normal--not just barely in range. A bad gut can take years to heal, prior antibiotic use destroys normal gut flora. Many women on Kruse' forum fighting the same thing. Kruse' site is free and he has an extensive blog with good cites.
    Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

How did you find a doctor who was helpful, random trial and error? What specialty, GI or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    ^I like Neckhammer's ideas. Plus check out Gut Sense: How to reverse and prevent constipation in children and adults for maybe some insight on the IBS factor.
    I read the gutsense website for like 3 hours and could never figure out what he actually thinks you should eat. He seems to hate everything...I wasn't sure what to do with that. Did you find helpful guidance on the site that I'm missing?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thwilson View Post
    Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

How did you find a doctor who was helpful, random trial and error? What specialty, GI or something else?
    She was having multiple UTIs, wrist tendonitis that wouldn't respond to steroids, ulcers, GERD, IBS all that. We suggested Vit D testing, found it way below ref range, doc megadosed her with D and got it into range which led to healing of wrist. We also got lots of hormone and blood marker labs and got her off of statins and on some better hormones for a post-menopausal/hysterectomied woman. Basically, if a doctor tried telling us hormones or vit D didn't mean that much, we fired them instantly. Most doctors are so lame it would be funny if it weren't so sad. It was a lot of trial and error--lots of visits with OB/GYN, Urologists, Cardiologist, Oncologist, Bone docs

Bron is offline Senior Member
    I have a herniated L5S1 and my only relief was found with acupuncture. It took about 10 visits, but we got there in the end My practitioner trained in China so knew his stuff.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by thwilson View Post
    I read the gutsense website for like 3 hours and could never figure out what he actually thinks you should eat. He seems to hate everything...I wasn't sure what to do with that. Did you find helpful guidance on the site that I'm missing?
    To be fair, you probably need to buy the book Fiber Menace to get a better sense of what to eat. I believe it's fairly primal, but with a focus on low-fiber, depending on your symptoms.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Well, at the very least, I would start with the primal blueprint and do it diligently with no 80/20 for at least 30 days. Read the book, follow the basics.

For movement, I'd just have her keep doing what she does.

Also, don't expect a 30 day miracle. If she feels the tiniest better over the next 30 days, then that's progress.

If you want to do anything fancier than the basics over the next 30 days, I recommend making home-made bone broth and then drinking it once a day.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    With the health issues your wife has, I would suggest a naturopath.

And how do you find one? You ask...?

Well, check out this handy search page: Paleo Physicians Network
    At least the physician is going to be current on the effects of diet on overall health. When I search my area a Naturopathic physician is 2 miles away.

EDIT; here's the result for Phoenix (you'll have to do more research, but it's a start):

Doctors and health care providers near "phoenix, AZ, United States"

Dr. John Thoma, DC, MEd, BA
    Tempe, AZ | 11 miles from you

Michael Losito, PT, MS
    Scottsdale, AZ | 13 miles from you

Ryann P Roberts, DPT - Arizona Orthopedic Physical Therapy
    Goodyear, AZ | 17 miles from you

Rakesh C. Patel, MD
    Gilbert, AZ | 19 miles from you

Dr. Yolanda M. Loafer
    Phoenix, AZ | 19 miles from you
    Last edited by jojohaligo; 08-31-2012 at 04:57 PM.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Tell you wife what I told myself after the answers I got from the doctors got me nowhere.

*The only thing I have control over is what I put in my mouth.*

I used fasting to clear my system~ probably not the best path considering your wife's degree of illness. However, if she doesn't try eating clean, she will never know if food allergies/intolerance are the problem. Ask her where she wants to go from here~ take control and try something different, or continue to deteriorate and never know if she could have healed herself.

Yes, I know, kind of harsh~ but she's already living in hell. Maybe a big time wake-up call is in order. And NO, she will never get proper nutritional advice from a CW doctor.

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I feel so bad for your wife.

I will chime in to tell you what primal/paleo/whole30 living has done for me:

Eliminated life long chronic headache and migraine
    Vastly reduced adult acne on face and body
    Eliminated IBS
    Eliminated indigestion/nausea after eating

If there is anything I have learned from spending several months here on MDA and on whole9life.com it's that FOOD MATTERS. You can throw all the doctors and medicines and needles and so forth at yourself indefinitely, but modern medicine is unfortunately geared toward treating symptoms without addressing the core cause, as someone else said here.

Changing up your diet is simple change to make for your wife, without any more doctor poking and prodding, without any more chemicals or pills or needles.

I know skipping a lot of different foods is daunting - but so must be living each day like she does. Eat vegetables, meats, and some fruits. It does not HAVE to be organic and top shelf and grass fed at first. Just focus your grocery shopping on those three simple things. Vegetables, meats, fruits. (Eggs and nuts too, I adore eggs and they were my primary transition food.)

Best of luck.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast