Thread: Health Assessment Cholesterol Results page

BOMO is offline Junior Member

Health Assessment Cholesterol Results

Primal Fuel
    I wanted to share the results of my cholesterol and other bio-metric tests compared to a year ago on SAD to see what the long-time primal think and if I should be concerned.

Description: Age: 30; Height: 6'3"; 185lbs (lost 20lbs since going primal!); Male, Primal for 1.5 months;
    Former Chronic Cardio = completing multiple P90X rounds, 1/2 of Insanity (back injury, stupid Insanity!), occasional 5K runner.
    Currently = PB Fitness.

Triglycerides: Oct 2011 = 156 mg; Aug 2012 = 76mg (Recommended < 150)
    Total Cholesterol: Oct 2011 = 183 mg; Aug 2012 = 250 mg (Recommended 125-200) Alert!
    HDL Cholesterol: Oct 2011 = 39 mg; Aug 2012 = 48 mg (Recommended >= 40)
    LDL Cholesterol: Oct 2011 = 113 mg; Aug 2012 = 187 mg (Recommended < 130) Alert!
    Total/HDL ratio: Oct 2011 = 4.7 (calc); Aug 2012 = 5.2 (calc) (Recommended <= 5.0) Alert!

Glucose: Oct 2011 = 75 mg; Aug 2012 = 91 mg (Recommended 65 - 99)
    BMI: Oct 2011 = 25.9; Aug 2012 = 23.2 (Recommended 18.5 - 24.9)
    Blood Pressure: Oct 2011 = 130/80; Aug 2012 = 132/82 (Recommended < 120/80) Alert!

Note: The Alert! label is where the diagnostic company said I am out of bounds.

So there you have it!
    I'm hoping your going to say "Oh, don't worry much about it, you've only been primal 1.5 months. It will level out."
    I'm hoping you're not going to say "Boy, you'd better get on statins, stat!"

What say you?

Edit: Yes, I've read Griff's Cholesterol Primer post.

Thanks!
    Last edited by BOMO; 08-31-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    I am not an expert but my understanding total cholesterol is not a great marker and has been artificially lowered recently.
    HDL lipoprotein going up Triglycerides going going down are both good signs I would keep going.

OH you should also read the recent posts on the Marks Blog
    The Straight Dope on Cholesterol: 10 Things You Need to Know – Part 1 | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple
    The Straight Dope on Cholesterol: 10 Things You Need to Know – Part 2 | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Yeah, I read part 1 and will read part 2, but way too scientific for me to get much out of it.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    I'm certainly no expert so take anything I say with a grain of salt and do your research. I have noticed with myself that I have to be conscious of all the sources of my food. Example would be making sure the butter I buy says nothing on the ingredients label other than Butter and Salt. Making sure it hasn't been cut with hydrogenated fats to make it "healthier". Also grassfed is better than conventional. When I eat eggs, I make sure the Hens are truly free range, and I eat the yolks for all the vitamins. I try to keep my total food eaten, more vegetable than meat. Mostly non starchy vegetables, I do eat a small potato or sweet potatoes/yams occasionally. If you find that everything is lined up for you. I don't think you'll have much to worry about. Your numbers don't look all that bad to me and probably will get better as time goes on.

canuck416 is online now Senior Member
    Your numbers look great, especially your HDL and Triglycerides. Total cholesterol is not something I would be concerned about but the LDL numbers can be. There are two important and different forms of LDL -... LDL-P the carrier or the boat particle and LDL-C the particle carried by the boat. High LDL-P is the best predictor of adverse cardiac events, it would be interesting to establish your numbers for this particle as LDL-C is what is typically screened by lipid scans. A positive indicator in your blood tests is the reduction in triglycerides which leads to a reduction in LDL-P, probably caused by a reduction in the amount of refined sugars you eat when following a Paleo diet. In short, keep doing what your doing, your blood chemistry will continue to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by workinprogress View Post
    I'm certainly no expert so take anything I say with a grain of salt and do your research. I have noticed with myself that I have to be conscious of all the sources of my food. Example would be making sure the butter I buy says nothing on the ingredients label other than Butter and Salt. Making sure it hasn't been cut with hydrogenated fats to make it "healthier". Also grassfed is better than conventional. When I eat eggs, I make sure the Hens are truly free range, and I eat the yolks for all the vitamins. I try to keep my total food eaten, more vegetable than meat. Mostly non starchy vegetables, I do eat a small potato or sweet potatoes/yams occasionally. If you find that everything is lined up for you. I don't think you'll have much to worry about. Your numbers don't look all that bad to me and probably will get better as time goes on.
    I think that the quality of the food can make a difference as well. However, as I posted in another thread yesterday, the best we can do with our budget currently is the eggs. Thanks for the input!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Your numbers look great, especially your HDL and Triglycerides. Total cholesterol is not something I would be concerned about but the LDL numbers can be. There are two important and different forms of LDL -... LDL-P the carrier or the boat particle and LDL-C the particle carried by the boat. High LDL-P is the best predictor of adverse cardiac events, it would be interesting to establish your numbers for this particle as LDL-C is what is typically screened by lipid scans. A positive indicator in your blood tests is the reduction in triglycerides which leads to a reduction in LDL-P, probably caused by a reduction in the amount of refined sugars you eat when following a Paleo diet. In short, keep doing what your doing, your blood chemistry will continue to improve.
    Based on what I read in Griff's cholesterol primer I was thinking it wasn't all that bad also. Unfortunately, the diagnostic report didn't specify the type of LDL, but it helps that with the decrease in Triglycerides it lends that LDL-P is decreasing. Thanks!