Thread: Another Bone Broth question page

gopintos is offline Senior Member

Another Bone Broth question

Primal Fuel
    I am sure this has been asked & answered, the bone broth search results are quite long so I apologize for my impatience to sift through it all.

Question is, do you grind the bones and/or veggies and add back into your broth? When making stock, I do this with my veggies. This is my first "broth" and really the only difference between my two is that I added vinegar this time. Oh, this is chicken broth.

Thanks!

OH... almost forgot, some of the places that say to discard the bones, also say to discard the fat off the top? Yes? No?

Thanks!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Here is Mark's take on the subject:
    Cooking with Bones | Mark's Daily Apple

He recommends tossing the fat from poultry stock (oxidized PUFA from the long cooking process), but keeping the fat from beef stock.

He also does recommend cracking open the bones to extract all the goodness. I usually don't bother to do this with my beef stock. Seems like a lot of work and mess for not much benefit.... but it could be fun. I just don't have a sturdy bag that I would want to use for smashing bones in.

OH thanks!! I forget to look there sometimes. Should be where I start, huh?! Thanks!!

OMG this is fantastic! I ran it all through my blender.

This was just leftover bones I was saving, so I don't think there is much fat. So rather than wait for it to cool, I went ahead and dipped me a cup. Then I debated... bowl.. or cup.. ha. So many decisions. I opted for the bowl and spoon, but now just drinking it straight from the bowl. I have to say though, sure wish it had some crackers! But I will get use to my soup season w/o them.

And also, it is not the most desirable looking stuff, I hate to even say what it looks like - but it sure is tasty! I never would have dreamed before of just eating/drinking my chicken stock. It was something you just added to other soups & dishes. And when chicken would set up in the frig with all that jelly gel junk, I would take it off and pitch it!

Now I just have to figure out how to track it and how much I can have!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I have access to a real meat market with real butchers. Their soup bones contain a very large ball-joint that has been cut into quarters, with the meat still attached. These butchers know what they are doing for sure. To this soup bone I also added one pig's foot. Again, the butchers totally understand why someone buys a pig's foot. It comes split lengthwise down the middle. I don't put any vegetables in mine. Just water, a little wine or a cut up tomato, and salt. With the professional soup bones and the pigs foot, the result after putting it in the fridge is a nice layer of fat to save for cooking and a mass of beef jello that is really tasty eaten cold as jello or hot as broth. I save the meat, too. I chop it up and use it for Mexican food or mix it with mustard, tomatoes and avocados for a tasty lunch.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

That sounds fantastic!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been really digging the bone broth the last few weeks. I have my crock going every few days. I just sent 3 or 4 frozen containers home with my daughter, so I am baking some more chicken now Anyways.... I am happy to report, my fingernails are sure growing! I usually get one or two that grow, but now they are all growing at the same time! And I did quite a bit outside, and almost always break the ones that do grow, but I still have them all intact! Amazing! Now I am going to go put some clear polish on them