Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Crio Bru page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

Crio Bru

Shop Now
    I think this stuff needs its own thread. Paleobird has turned a lot of us on to Crio Bru. I just got some myself. Oh my god! It's amazing! It is like coffee but instead of coffee beans it is roasted chocolate beans. It has this wonderful magical flavor not anything at all like hot cocoa. It is bitter like coffee. I just made a really strong cup of it with a generous portion of cream and it's the most heavenly hot drink ever. I can't wait to try using the grounds for something, too.

Crio Brü and Crio Beans are Rich in Antioxidants, Minerals and Natural Energy - Healthy Chocolate for Healthy Living
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I saw discussion about this in other threads and am glad you started this one. Thank you.

I glanced at the Crio Bru website and it states that the end-product is very low calorie, similar to coffee. This doesn't make sense to me because it's just whole ground cocoa seeds right? If so, it seems that it would be quite high in fat, similar to 100%/baking chocolate. Guess I need to do more reading.

I did a little more reading. Maybe Crio Bru is not deshelled as almost all chocolate used in other products is. So that could explain the low calories. Think sunflower seeds in the shell versus just the kernels.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 08-31-2012 at 07:18 AM.

L8F
    L8F is offline Senior Member
    Tasty stuff...

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Crio bru is exactly like coffee. They take the whole cocoa bean and roast it like you roast coffee. I guess you can't just roast it at home because it will catch fire or something. But they've found a process to roast the beans like coffee. It's ground very coarse and it's dry. It's not a powder. You steep it in a french press or you can use a drip coffeemaker. You need a significant amount of time for the hot water to be in contact for the rich flavors to come out. Then it's semi-clear like tea or coffee with a richness like coffee. I made mine this morning with a generous portion of warmed and frothed cream. It was bitter and unsweetened like coffee but had all the overtones of a fine dark chocolate and even other overtones that were better than a chocolate bar.

Apparently you can save the grounds and cook with them. You can grind the grounds up so they are smooth and then put them in baked goods, smoothies or other recipes. I was thinking they'd be good in those chocolate muffin mug cakes I sometimes make. I was also thinking of making a sort of chicken mole using the grounds, chiles in adobo sauce and chicken. Use that for burrito bowls.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Very interesting, I'll have to give this a try. Always looking for a new wacky thing to consume that raises eyebrows and requires a 20 minute explanation!

Amazing how many people have never heard of kombucha.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I found this and bought some.

Chocolate Alchemy - Brewing Cocoa

denise is offline Senior Member
    can't get crio bru in the uk

Calibunny is offline Member
    I can't believe i've never heard of this beverage I checked the website, and they carry it at our New Frontiers here in San Luis Obispo!!!! I may have to pick some up on my way home from work today.

Whats the difference between the "bru" and the "beans"?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I've seen the price of cocoa beans. Just guessing, but a pound of this stuff is probably double my weekly grocery budget.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    $16 for 12oz on Amazon. That's about 4 times as expensive per ounce as the organic coffee I get at Costco.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast