Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Crio Bru page 8

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I just ordered four more sacks of Crio Bru...

We make it in the french press... 3 good scoops, put about 1 cup of boiling water, stir, cover... let sit 6 minutes, then add 3 scoops coarse ground coffee, stir, fill to top with more boiling water (it's a 4-cup press), let sit about 4 or 5 more minutes, then press. Serve with heavy cream.

Yummy.

B2B
    B2B is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaeVynn View Post
    I just ordered four more sacks of Crio Bru...

We make it in the french press... 3 good scoops, put about 1 cup of boiling water, stir, cover... let sit 6 minutes, then add 3 scoops coarse ground coffee, stir, fill to top with more boiling water (it's a 4-cup press), let sit about 4 or 5 more minutes, then press. Serve with heavy cream.

Yummy.
    RaeVynn,
    I will be trying this @ work on Monday!! It sounds too good not to try!
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.”
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

SW (January 2011): 208.5
    LPW (March 23, 2013): 156.0
    CW (July, 4, 2013): 172

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    I just bought some crio bru at the Fremantle markets in Perth, western Australia. It's not bad but found it much richer if i brewed it after grinding it up a bit smaller with my magic bullet.

It seems really wasteful when you think the whole cacao bean is used to make chocolate. I really liked the strong dark choc flavour.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rueben View Post
    I just bought some crio bru at the Fremantle markets in Perth, western Australia. It's not bad but found it much richer if i brewed it after grinding it up a bit smaller with my magic bullet.

It seems really wasteful when you think the whole cacao bean is used to make chocolate. I really liked the strong dark choc flavour.
    That's a really good idea. Probably gets to the same point I've been doing with hand blendering the brew then adding some more water but less messy.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    I tried taking a few Tbsp of regular raw cacao nibs and blended it to achieve a very course powder. I added some hot water to it...blegh! It tastes really nasty, like dirt! All of the delicate cacao flavor from the nib, including all the undertones, GONE. I'm going to stick to coffee...

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I tried taking a few Tbsp of regular raw cacao nibs and blended it to achieve a very course powder. I added some hot water to it...blegh! It tastes really nasty, like dirt! All of the delicate cacao flavor from the nib, including all the undertones, GONE. I'm going to stick to coffee...
    The Crio Bru, and such cacao beverage nibs meant for drinks, are roasted in a special process.
    I have read that they are too oily to roast exactly like coffee beans, or in the home (oven/stovetop), because they become burnt or even catch fire? easily.

Raw cacao nibs are great for other things... but are not for making the drink.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    The Crio Bru, and such cacao beverage nibs meant for drinks, are roasted in a special process.
    I have read that they are too oily to roast exactly like coffee beans, or in the home (oven/stovetop), because they become burnt or even catch fire? easily.

Raw cacao nibs are great for other things... but are not for making the drink.
    That's too bad. Can I achieve the same results as Criu Bru with cocoa powder?

That's too bad. Can I achieve the same results as Criu Bru with cocoa powder?
    No... not really.
    It's not the same as the whole bean either.

Cocoa powder is made by separating the cocoa fat and solids. The process changes the flavor characteristics.

Roasted nibs really are a different product.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    No... not really.
    It's not the same as the whole bean either.

Cocoa powder is made by separating the cocoa fat and solids. The process changes the flavor characteristics.

Roasted nibs really are a different product.
    So....can I roast nibs in a popcorn popper, similar to the coffee bean thread that came up a month or two ago?

So....can I roast nibs in a popcorn popper, similar to the coffee bean thread that came up a month or two ago?
    I don't know why you couldn't TRY.

As I wrote above, I read that they are so soft and oily that they burn and even possibly catch fire very easily when roasting... so it's a slightly different process from coffee beans.
    I'm not sure how they do it. *shrug*
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast