Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Convict Conditioning + Al Kavadlo are changing my life page 2

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjgarwood View Post
    New record tonight - 48 seconds in the crow stand (crane pose for any p90x'ers)

Woot!!!!
    Congrats. I've been planking in the evenings, slow heavy lifting & fast swimming in the mornings, about ready to start CCing soon. My shoulder still aches every once in a while & my back a wee bit too (those heavy squats), but its not being repeated re-injured like in years past when I was tryin' to get back in shape but without the anti-inflammatory effects of PB. When I'm traveling in about a month or so, I'll not have access to kettle bells & dumb bells like I have now. So I know transitioning to this type DIY whole body conditioning ala CC will fit in perfectly with someday adding Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga, which is one of my dream practices to be able to resume.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    Question on Convict Conditioning regarding 'work sets'.

What exactly IS a work set? For example, lets say the progression standard is 2 sets of 10 full pullups. Is a workout 1 x 10, or the actual progression standard of 2 sets of 10 which you need to be doing 2 or 3 times?

Slightly confusing!
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilingjustalittlebit View Post

What exactly IS a work set? For example, lets say the progression standard is 2 sets of 10 full pullups. Is a workout 1 x 10, or the actual progression standard of 2 sets of 10 which you need to be doing 2 or 3 times?

Slightly confusing!
    Here's how I do it (I'm taking the slow and steady): Start with the beginner standard of each step. Let's take the wall pushup for example. Start with one set of 10. That's your work set for your first workout. Then next time add 5 reps. Then next time add a set. So on and so forth until you work up to 3 sets of 50. That's the way I do it, add some reps or a set here and there and just keep the work nice and steady.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

I started my CC today, after reading through the PDF over the holiday weekend, and again some more this morning.

Day 1:
    Morning routine -
    Pushups - 2 sets of 20
    Squats - 2 sets of 30
    Pull Ups - 1 set of 5, 2nd set of 2 (my weakest exercise due to old shoulder injury ie broken left clavicle & left scapula & graft surgery on my right lat)
    Planks - 2 minutes standard pushup position, 1 minute left side, 1 minute right side, 2 minutes pushup position.
    Swimming - 24 laps(not technically Convict Conditioning, unless executing a prison escape across a moat or a river, haha)

Evening routine -NA-
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-04-2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: doi! left out pull ups...

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    That sounds like a lot of plank. Just holding 2 minutes is tough for me...do you rest before the 1 minute each side and last 2 minutes, I hope?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B-D View Post
    That sounds like a lot of plank. Just holding 2 minutes is tough for me...do you rest before the 1 minute each side and last 2 minutes, I hope?
    I only rest before doing the final 2 minutes, but not for long, just long enough to reset the seconds counter on my mobile, so maybe 30-45 seconds rest. That final 2 minutes is painful, haha

homunculus is offline Member
    Starting CC and reading all of Al's blog too c: Gonna do calisthenics since I'm too sick to go to the gym right now. Can't even do push ups ey, damn women and their lack of muscle :'(
    “There is immeasurably more left inside than what comes out in words…”
    — Fyodor Dostoevsky

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    I have always enjoyed my weights but CC and other bodyweight work is the bomb!
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by homunculus View Post
    Starting CC and reading all of Al's blog too c: Gonna do calisthenics since I'm too sick to go to the gym right now. Can't even do push ups ey, damn women and their lack of muscle :'(
    That's where the beauty of CC comes in...sensible progressions that steadily take you there and beyond!
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by smilingjustalittlebit View Post

Slightly confusing!
    A work set is a set which isn't a warm-up set.

In the book, Coach Wade explains it this way.

Let's say you are on step 5 of Push ups, full push ups. Your sets might look like this:

Set 1: Warm up set: 20 wall push ups
    Set 2: Warm up set: 20 knew push ups
    Set 3: Work set: 12 push ups
    Set 4: Work set: 10 push ups

That's basically it!

Also, according to him, you should do as many work sets as the progression standard demands. So for most exercises past step 3, that's only 2 work sets (at least until you get to the very advanced stages).

I hope that helped!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast