Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leptin confusion page

jackson44 is offline Senior Member

Leptin confusion

Primal Fuel
    Confused....

I thought having high levels of leptins wasn't a good thing. I just read that having high levels of leptin may increased fat lost and another that high levels is related to obsesity.

any thoughts?

Thanks

kiks is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson44 View Post
    Confused....

I thought having high levels of leptins wasn't a good thing. I just read that having high levels of leptin may increased fat lost and another that high levels is related to obsesity.

any thoughts?

Thanks
    you aren't confusing leptin with lectin are you?

otzi Guest
    All you ever wanted to know about leptin can be found here: Chapter one on leptin…….. | Jack Kruse

But, to answer your question, leptin levels rise and fall throughout the day to signal hunger and fullness. In a normal person leptin is lowest in the morning and highest about 9pm. This is to get you eating in the morning and let you sleep at night. In obese people, you'd think they would have chronically low leptin, but this is not the case. They have unusually high leptin levels. They should feel full, but they have become resistant to the effects of leptin. There is a unique condition where people are born with no ability to produce leptin. These people become extremely obese. Injections of leptin almost immediately relieve their obeseity.

So low leptin and high levels is bad?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

otzi Guest
    The only thing concerning leptin that could be considered bad is no or low leptin. If this were the case, you'd be morbidly obese--guaranteed--and need medical intervention and a young age. The problem most people have with leptin is leptin resistance, this causes high levels of circulating leptin and hunger. The biggest cause of leptin resistance is ignoring the fullness signals for years and years, eating when the body says not to and feeding on empty calories.

But isn't high lepitin also a found with obesity?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    But isn't high lepitin also a found with obesity?
    Yes, because leptin is produced by adipose tissues, but it's not the high leptin level that's the problem, it's the leptin resistance that's the issue. Leptin signals satiety, but in people with leptin resistance, despite their high levels of leptin, the satiety signal isn't effective, so they don't get the message that their body has had enough food. Abnormally low leptin would cause the same issue.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Leptin resistance is "bad".

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Too low of leptin levels is supposed to be bad. And the reason why is because you get hungry without it. It's kind of your bodies way of sensing its available energy and input. So if you eat more and/or you have plenty of body fat, your leptin levels should be high and you will feel full. On the other hand when you are lean and/or you eat less, you're leptin levels will drop and you will get hungry.

So consider the three examples:

1. A person who was born without the ability to produce leptin. (an extremely rare case)
    They will always feel like they are starving no matter how much they eat. Of course that is unless they get treated with leptin injections.

2. A normal healthy person who produces leptin as necessary as a response to body fat tissue and eating.
    Leptin levels are relatively normal. Leptin levels will drop when they don't eat, making them hungry. And leptin levels will rise after a meal, making them feel full and signaling them to stop eating.

3. An obese individual.
    Leptin levels are abnormally high because they have so much extra body fat and they eat too much. As a result, their bodies develop leptin resistance and they don't feel the affects anymore. So they stay hungry all the time, keep on eating, get fatter, and get sicker.

Anyways, while some people think too low of leptin levels from dieting is bad, I beg to differ. You can't get fat from getting hungry from eating less. But you can get fat from eating junk food when you are hungry! I agree its really hard in the USA for example not to slip and eat junk food. But if you're dedicated and always have better foods available, you won't have that problem. Because the right foods work right. You can eat as much as you want of them and you won't get fat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast