Thread: She is full of suprises page

Grokdaddy is offline Senior Member

She is full of suprises

Primal Fuel
    So I am at work right now (graveyards but for only 2 more shifts thank God) I got a call from wifey. So she tells me about her ongoing ailments and what not. Then she says she thinks it's related to all the sugar (pop and junk food) she eats daily (no crap lady). Then she said something I was never expecting. She tells me when she is done with the last of 3 Cokes she's gonna try eating Primal!!!! Say what? Of course I tried to sound real cool but inside I was like hallelujah! I have been talking to her about primal ever since I started back late winter. She basically told me she was not going to stop eating junk and I backed off as I didn't want to create problems and turn her off from the whole thing. I can't believe she was listening all of this time. I shouldn't really be surprised as she is known to reject an idea only to be interested in it later. I have been telling her for the past two days to drop the sugar and grains for 2 or 3 weeks and see how she feels. Guess it worked. Of course I recommended she read Mark's book which should be easy as we both have Kindles and share the same Amazon account for them. I am so happy. I never thought she would agree to go primal. I recommended she start off slow and do it like 80%. The only issue I see is her eating veggies. When it comes to eating veggies she is like a 5 year old (not our 5 year old as he will eat his veggies). Now that our son is starting school full time three days a week she said she was going to start using her gym membership she pays for and has only been like 3 times. Man this will make things a lot easier on me too as there won't be a bunch of tempting foods in the house. I might have to start calling her Grokmomma! I have posted in the past about the difficulty in getting her to change her eating habits so this is huge!

Grokdaddy

Paleobird Guest
    Great! Loving persistence sometimes pays off. I finally got my Dad and my best friend to convert and both are doing really well.

brighthorse is offline Senior Member
    Gratz!! Good for you both!!!

NowhereMan is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations man! I know how great it feels great to know you have a positive impact on the people you care about. You've got the right idea to just stay supportive and let her go at her own pace; it's good that you're excited, and as long as you don't get pushy that excitement will carry over.

My recommendation for getting her hooked on veggies is to roast them. Lots of my friends who never really liked anything green now get excited when I roast up some brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower (and they're college kids). They kind of caramelize and sometimes get a little crunch to them. All you need for seasoning is a little salt and pepper. Onions and squash are a good gateway veggies too. Good luck and congrats again.

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NowhereMan View Post
    Congratulations man! I know how great it feels great to know you have a positive impact on the people you care about. You've got the right idea to just stay supportive and let her go at her own pace; it's good that you're excited, and as long as you don't get pushy that excitement will carry over.

My recommendation for getting her hooked on veggies is to roast them. Lots of my friends who never really liked anything green now get excited when I roast up some brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower (and they're college kids). They kind of caramelize and sometimes get a little crunch to them. All you need for seasoning is a little salt and pepper. Onions and squash are a good gateway veggies too. Good luck and congrats again.
    Never tried rasting veg apart from peppers, onions and tomatoes. Will try the veg you suggested. Thanks

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Oh you have to try roast sweet potato and parsnips!! My FAVOURITE

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by annedawso View Post
    Never tried rasting veg apart from peppers, onions and tomatoes. Will try the veg you suggested. Thanks
    Oh man, I LOVE roast broccoli. I had it twice this week because I love it so much. Also, get a block of hard parmesan or romano or similar cheese. You don't need that much, grated finely, to toss on the veg to make it REALLY, REALLY good. And never underestimate the power of bacon to make something more palatable. I like veggies but there's no reason not to make them even tastier.