Thread: Hi - Newbi with some questions :-) page

hayley3 is offline Member

Smile Hi - Newbi with some questions :-)

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I've been lurking for a short while and only recently discovered PB after several years of allergies/intollerances/weight gain/eating issues yada yada... I think it is a m a z i n g!! For the first time in my life I control my blood sugar, cravings, food allergies etc instead of them controlling me and I feel fantastic. What a great job Mark is doing with his book and this site.

I am still a baby PB'er and barely a week into my new lifestyle so I do have a few questions - can anyone help me?

1. How much coconut/coconut products are too much
    2. I eat a lot of red meat now, I am a true carnivore! - Should I try to get in more fish/chicken? Will it have a knock-on effect to weight loss/fat loss
    3. Is mint tea ok to drink - I have been putting a spoonful of coconut oil into it and it is yummy! I don't drink coffee and this is caffeine free.
    4. I'm from the UK, where there's little or no sun most of the time or it's sunny but too cold to strip off - what can I do to get more vit D?

I have loads more but don't want to be a pain on my first post - these were the most urgent ones in any case.

Best wishes,
    Hayley3
    There are none so blind as those determined not to see

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member
    1. How much coconut/coconut products are too much
    id say just watch your carbcount

2. I eat a lot of red meat now, I am a true carnivore! - Should I try to get in more fish/chicken? Will it have a knock-on effect to weight loss/fat loss
    red meat is perfect food, dont worry about variety. on the other hand if you get bored with it theres nothing wrong with fish etc. chicken just has more PUFAs than other meat...

3. Is mint tea ok to drink - I have been putting a spoonful of coconut oil into it and it is yummy! I don't drink coffee and this is caffeine free.

why wouldnt it be ok?
    4. I'm from the UK, where there's little or no sun most of the time or it's sunny but too cold to strip off - what can I do to get more vit D?

supplement with 5000-10000 iud of good quality oilbased capsules

Thanks Eva - really helpful :-)

darienx19 is offline Senior Member
    Hello and welcome!

I agree with the advice given so far. Variety is not required, but encouraged so you don't get bored... just make sure to choose the fatty cuts. Get dark meat chicken, marbled steaks, and fish that still has the skin. As for coconut? It's like primal ambrosia. As HFCS is to SAD, Coconut is to PB =) As long as you mind the daily carb amt that works for you, enjoy coconut in its many glorious forms. Mint tea with coconut oil in it? Sounds fantastic! I may have to give it a try... have never been much of a fan of tea myself, but it sounds like a good way to add in some healthy fats to your diet. As for vitamin D, I'm not entirely sure how to advise. I don't personally take a supplement for it (though I think I probably should in the winter lol) but I live in the midwestern US and get plenty of it from march to october.

Don't be shy, ask any of the questions you have! : )

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    Getting out and about in the sun you have (even if you have to cover up) will help you manufacture at least a little bit of Vit. D. And besides that, going for a walk in the sun is a nice way to get in your slow-movement exercise for the day.

Thanks Darienx19 - this is all so helpful, and you defo have to try the tea, it's almost like a sweet to me for some reason, probably because you get the menthol mint with the coconut and it just seems to taste so good - drink it whilst it's hot mind as when it gets colder it gets bitter like green tea does. You're very lucky to get a proper summer, we seem to have one season all year round - wet season :-( today being a prime example. Still I'll do what I can to get out and about.

Thanks LX - I am still trying to train myself to get off the couch or away from my desk, I've a slow bike ride planned for Monday with the hubster as we have a long holiday weekend, I'm also trying to extend the dog walking although I am doing butt-crunches and semi-lunges as I walk - thankfully it's pretty quiet when I go out!

I still feel like I'm being naughty when I eat the fatty foods, I love it and I'm seeing amazing results I just struggle with the concept - so does DH, he keeps say surely you can't have that and lose weight/be healthy, there's so much fat bleurgh! Still, we know better don't we :-)

Thanks guys :-)

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Adapting yourself to the cold wouldn't be a bad idea, either. I've found that the more you resist cold, the colder you feel. If you just take the tension out of your muscles and don't hunch your shoulders up, you will probably find the cold a lot more bearable -- with practice.