Thread: Devil's Advocate? Oh, the irony. page

newbtritionist Guest

Shop Now

Bible Life's Dietary Guidelines

^ Ignore all the hullaballoo about abortion and adoption at the top and scroll to the part of the page that has "Proper Diet Summary" in big red letters, and read the lists of "Foods we should eat" and "Foods we should not eat." While most of the stuff in both lists is quite in keeping with what I've read here on MDA and other relatively reliable sites (= links to all research sources and does critical analysis of the research rather than just taking it at face value) advocating the primal diet, I can't shake the feeling that those two Bible Life lists are a little on the iffy side.

I'm aware that ALL dietary/nutritional advice should be taken with a grain of salt, but that site especially makes me boggle with stuff like the following:

- "Probiotics" including "lactobacillus acidophilus" on the "should eat" list and then "yogurt" on the "should not eat list" with the comment "The acidophilus in yogurt is simply killed by stomach acid." ...Because the acidophilus in probiotic supplements is different from the acidophilus in yogurt? Yes? No? The site doesn't even say.

- "Grains" on the "should eat" list with a recommendation to limit them, then those same grains on the "should not eat" list with the admonition "Do not eat any."

- Vegetables limited to "asparagus, eggplant, green or yellow string beans, red tomatoes, spinach, celery, peppers or green or yellow zucchini squash only." No kale? Broccoli? Other collard greens? Not to mention all the "exotic" non-starchy vegetables common to the diets of other countries (hello bok choy and daikon) that these guys may or may not have ever heard of...

- Speaking of which, on the one hand we have "Acceptable starchy vegetables are potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams and squash in moderation" and then "Do not eat any potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams"

Also, they don't seem to provide much (if any) reliable research to support their more specious claims: compare the quantity of links to support their claims about meat or omega-3s to the quantity of links they provide to support their claims about yogurt/vegetables/fruits.

...So what's the verdict on this site's dietary guidelines, folks? How much is good and how much is crap? (Also, please leave debates about religion/abortion/anything not related to nutrition out of this. Thanks.)

ATZ Guest

What a croc of...