Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sit-ups help page

BigJilm is offline Senior Member

Sit-ups help

Shop Now
    Hi All,

I've been attempting to do some sit-ups in order to pass an upcoming fitness test.

The test requires sit-ups to be performed without feet anchored, which I have difficulty to do, as my feet just lift off the ground.

I can knock out a heap when my feet are anchored however cant do one of the required type.

Can anyone suggest how to build the strength to help with the above?

su.gif
    I'll be back

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    keep working at it?

push your heels into the floor?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Abs are stabelizer muscles, not contracting muscles. Do planks. Obviously do sit ups to pratice but, planks will strengthen. Sit ups wont. Sit ups are more a measure of strength than a builder of strength.

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Sit ups tend to be more hip flexor than abdominal, especially with the feet anchored. Abdominals are just as much movement muscles as stabilizers, so I'd do both: planks and continuing to practice unanchored by pressing your heels into the floor.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Thanks all, appreciate the feedback

How do planks build strength when there is no range of movement?
    I'll be back

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJilm View Post
    Thanks all, appreciate the feedback

How do planks build strength when there is no range of movement?
    Try them and you will find out! They are an isometric exercise. Basically, you're resisting the force of gravity on your core by keeping it straight instead of letting it sag as it would if you totally relaxed your core. Isometrics don't look like anything is happening, but you can generate some crazy tension with them.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Agreed with planks. Download Mark's PB Fitness e-book and do the progression he suggests. Spidermans... side-planks... up-downs... these are all things that Mark has in his book and my personal trainer had me do (back when I had a trainer... sigh...). They're awesome for your abs!

Also, don't forget to do back exercises, too. Your "core" includes abs, obliques and lower back -- increase your strength in your abs and you can weaken your back. Do some back exercises to even things out.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    Do some back exercises to even things out.
    Thanks! PB Fitness doesn't include back exercises. What would you suggest?
    I'll be back

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    If you have no problem with the anchored version then there may be a simple technical issue here. Try extending your legs a little further in front of you (and thus opening up your hip flexors) - this can sometimes help. A video of your technique would also help.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    My situp skills improved drastically with pullups and leg raises. Laying on the floor and raising your legs (even if they are bent) up off the floor is a good place to start as well. The straighter your legs, the harder it gets. When you can do it with straight legs, then you can move on to hanging from a bar and lifting your legs. I've done a lot of situps over the years, but leg raises improved my numbers much more than simply trying to do more situps. It used to be that I couldn't do any situps without anchored feet, but now I could probably pass the Army test without. I use a lot less hip flexor than I used to as well.

Is there a requirement on how bent your legs have to be? The Army requires that your knees be at a 90 degree angle or tighter, but they require someone to hold your feet. The farther out your feet are, the easier it gets. I've never seen a situp test that prohibits anchoring the feet. What is this test for? Do they have an official description of how the situps are supposed to be done? What else is in this test? Can you wear heavy shoes just for this event? What, exactly, do you feel is your problem with this event? How many are you supposed to do? How many can you do? What is the time allotted?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast