Thread: Recommended Books? page

gctorres is offline Junior Member

Recommended Books?

Hello, I am going to be starting a new job at a Natural Foods store, and I just want to make sure I am fully prepared to service my customers. What books would people recommend that deal with topics like Organics, grass fed meats, vitamin supplementation, etc. Of added interest would be books that come from an industry view as well as consumer.

Thank You,
    Greg

Jeffrw is offline Junior Member
    Primal Body, Primal Mind
    Lights Out Sugar Sleep Survival
    The Vitamin D Solution
    The Whole 30
    The Omnivores Dilemma and In Defense of Food
    Why we get fat
    Four hour body

And of course Primal Blueprint and The Paleo Solution

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Is Primal Body Primal Mind really that good? We just bought it and (while I have only read the first 250 pages so far) it certainly reads like it has a lot more errors and suspect sections (some of the maths does not add up, which makes me suspicious of the sections that I can't cross check as easily) than I would expect from a second edition. It commits several fallacies along the lines of
    1. Here's how A gets processed by the body
    2. Consuming excess A leads to LOTS OF BAD THINGS
    3. Don't eat A

That seems like flawed reasoning to me, since it does nothing to explore what the 'safe' threshold is for people. (Spoiler: Nora is very much a low carber, and it shows).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Is Primal Body Primal Mind really that good? We just bought it and (while I have only read the first 250 pages so far) it certainly reads like it has a lot more errors and suspect sections (some of the maths does not add up, which makes me suspicious of the sections that I can't cross check as easily) than I would expect from a second edition. It commits several fallacies along the lines of
    1. Here's how A gets processed by the body
    2. Consuming excess A leads to LOTS OF BAD THINGS
    3. Don't eat A

That seems like flawed reasoning to me, since it does nothing to explore what the 'safe' threshold is for people. (Spoiler: Nora is very much a low carber, and it shows).
    Nora is a "all dietary carbohydrate is poison" zealot. Somehow she attempts to justify this from an evolutionary perspective.
    Michael pollans books are great. For supplementation I bought Earl mindells Vitamin Bible the other week which is a pretty good resource.

Jeffrw is offline Junior Member
    As far Nora's book is concerned, you have to place it in the right context: Her background is as a neurologist. This explains the low carb "zealot".

It's still an interesting book that will make you think...much like Lights Out. There are some errors in there as well as questions about ts Wiley...but the bigger picture is the message itself.

I forgot to put down "Good Calories, Bad Calories"....I read that, Lights Out and In defense of food before I went Paleo. And neither three are technically "paleo" books.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrw View Post
    As far Nora's book is concerned, you have to place it in the right context: Her background is as a neurologist.
    No, it's neurofeedback she does (which is a very interesting practice).

Yes, it's a good book. And she's a lovely lady, and no gentleman would refer to her as a "zealot".

However, I don't think that's the kind of book the O.P. was looking for. He or she doesn't want general how-to books on paleo, but technical books on quite specific topics as an aid to help customers. Maybe something like this would be more what's been sought:

Amazon.com: Tender Grassfed Meat: Traditional Ways to Cook Healthy Meat (9780982342909): Stanley A. Fishman: Books

But the OP's probably gone long since.

Just listen to her militant stance and tone on the "safe starches" podcast. It was almost painful to listen to.
    - 'safe starches' is an oxymoron
    - they are completely unnecessary and don't make sense from an evolutionary perspective. lol
    - parents are buying into the "conventional wisdom" by feeding starch or fruit to their children after exercise.
    - full-time ketosis is the most 'natural' state of being for humans, whatever that means.
    - people are just trying 'justify' their 'addictions'. Using it as an 'excuse'. says people are 'contaminated by wishful thinking'.
    - Says just because they can make you feel better doesn't mean they good for you. Equates them to taking drugs to feel better to make her point.
    - She umms and ahhs about they possible safety of a small handful of blueberries in winter and says that maybe it's ok but not advised. And maybe a bite of sweet potato every now and then might be ok, she won't judge you for it.
    - says people are 'contaminated by wishful thinking'
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 09-04-2012 at 01:51 AM.

homunculus is offline Member
    I can't stand her, anyone that says no amount of carbs is okay is retarded. Do they not realise that they will always consume some anyway... or are they just forgeting about the glycogen in muscle meat?
    “There is immeasurably more left inside than what comes out in words…”
    — Fyodor Dostoevsky

L8F
    L8F is offline Senior Member
    I really like the Hartwig's book "It Starts With Food" but obviously it is a Paleo book, so biased that way. Not all health food stores would be ok with Paleo books in general, as some lean more toward grains and vegetarianism...But excellent book that addresses a lot of the sub topics such as grass fed/food quality etc as well as the more obvious what to eat on paleo etc topics.
    Started Whole30 December 31, 2011
    Integrated Leptin Reset/Jack Kruse plan Jan 13, 2012
    Starting Weight: 174.8
    CW:160.0 lbs

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrw View Post
    Primal Body, Primal Mind
    Four hour body
    I just finished reading this book. I haven't had much time to read lately, and it's gotten to the point where I cannot remember the last time I finished a book, other than 4-Hour Body and Practical Paleo.

I picked up 4-Hour Body from the library on Friday, and finished it on Sunday. It kept me THAT interested.

I also highly recommend "Practical Paleo". She goes through different dietary/supplement protocols based on the desired result, with an explanation for the different supplements.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly