Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Paleobird Liver Pate page 4

yaut is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I love pate too. this is how I make it:
    I take a pound of beef or lamb liver and two lamb hearts. I wash everything, cut hearts in half and boil all in salted water. Don't boil for too long because liver becomes hard and rubbery when overcooked, if there's no sign of blood - it's done, it only takes 10-15mins.
    While those are boiling I fry a generous amount of onions in coconut oil. When onions are almost done I add two heap tablespoons of butter. Butter will melt and together with coconut oil will make blending process easier.
    I break cooked liver into smaller pieces by hand and during this process I remove bigger blood vessels and other connective tissue from it, and chop hearts into small pieces. I throw liver, hearts, onions with all the fat into the food processor, add salt, pepper and teaspoon of dijon mustard and whizzz until smooth. if mixture is too dry - add water or cream. I like my pate fat, I rarely have to add more liquid to aid the blending. this last me for about 5 days. I usually eat it with fresh salad. yummy! next time I'm gonna add some garlic - sounds even more delicious.

I wouldn't eat liver prepared in any other way, it's just something about its texture I don't like. But the pate works brilliantly. And only the looks of the hearts make my stomach turn (tbh I feel a bit nauseous when chopping them up). but once they're blended into the pate and don't reassemble the hearts anymore - it's all fine.

secret agent girl is offline Senior Member
    In terms of liver, how would readers here rank them from mildest to strongest tasting?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent girl View Post
    In terms of liver, how would readers here rank them from mildest to strongest tasting?
    Chicken livers are the mildest.
    Of the ruminants, calf and lamb liver are also pretty mild because the critters are younger.
    Beef liver is, well, livery.
    Bison liver is if you really want to go hard core.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I love that this keeps making it back to the front page.... Its like my auto reminder that its time to make some liver pate!

I like turkey liver. If I can use the word "like" in connection with "liver"
    Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost. - Neil Gaiman

My journal
    iHerb.com code LBN037 - $10 off your first purchase

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Just took delivery of a whole lamb (in pieces) and the liver is HUGE. I had no idea. It was a 100 lb Dorset and the liver is just over 1lb. I was expecting a teeny thing. My 1st batch of PB liver pâté was with chicken livers, shallots, mushrooms, port and heavy cream. I had it every day for lunch this week. So delicious!

I'm thinking of trying a liverwurst style pâté this time. DH hates liver, but loves liverwurst (go figure), so maybe he'll try it if the spices are right. If not, I'm set for lunch next week too.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

jrherring is offline Senior Member
    Running this recipe today but am smoking the pastured livers with butter & onions.

thx for the recipe, PaleoBird.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hi there. Good way to get my attention. I don't always check the recipe section

My pate recipe has evolved and every time I change it it gets a little simpler and a lot better.

2 lbs sliced liver (any critter, lamb and calf are my favorites)
    cook in a stick of butter
    season while cooking any way you like (I like Italian herbs, garlic and s&p)
    put whole mess in blender (or use a hand blender)
    add 1 cup heavy cream (raw is best if available)
    blend the living daylights out of it until smooth
    pour into tupper cups and fridge.

If you want to freeze some for later, drizzle some coconut oil or other fat on top to seal out the air first.

Other things can be added in the mixer for flavoring such as onions, tomatoes, capers, olives, bell peppers, sherry. But I kind of just like the creamy flavor all by itself.

Can be served in celery sticks or as the filling between two slices of cucumber. Or, the ultimate pate delivery device, a spoon.
    Pate is a great way to get those who are a little reluctant about liver to come over to the offal side.

Enjoy!
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234