Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day 4 of Primal Blueprint Challenge but CAN'T SHAKE THE DARK CHOCOLATE!! page

denisedb is offline Member

Day 4 of Primal Blueprint Challenge but CAN'T SHAKE THE DARK CHOCOLATE!!

Primal Fuel
    So I'm a 40 year old woman of two young kids, looking to lose 30 pounds that I've had since they were born. I'm concerned I've become insulin resistant, can't seem to lose weight unless I starve myself....which is why I'm making this lifestyle change. Doing good on all counts but shaking the craving of dark chocolate. I'm eating half a large bar a day. I know it's too much! Could use some advice on ways to stop it -- and should I restart the challenge once I'm off it 100%? Thanks.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Try a magnesium supplement and if you're already taking one try to up the dosage.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Denise, I found that if I had more primal stuff prepared (like carrots or boiled eggs or sliced cooked steak )- I would promise myself that I had to eat that first, + one large glass of water. If the craving was still there, I gave in, AFTER consuming my primal stuff. But after a couple of these episodes I didn't crave these sugary things as much. Now 14 + weeks in, I just don't want them.
    This worked for me, and it might - might not for you, but good luck
    and keep us posted
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Thanks everyone, these are helpful. Will up the magnesium and definitely preparation w foods should help.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Throw it out of your house and don't buy it anymore.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Do you think it's okay to continue on with day 5 of my challenge tomorrow, or should I start over next week?

BratKat is offline Senior Member
    Stop buying the chocolate! If it's not in the house, you won't be eating it. Half a bar is WAY too much. I would say start over with day one and do it right.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denisedb View Post
    Doing good on all counts but shaking the craving of dark chocolate. I'm eating half a large bar a day. I know it's too much! Could use some advice on ways to stop it -- and should I restart the challenge once I'm off it 100%? Thanks.
    I've been primal for two years. There are still days when I crave dark chocolate.

It will pass.

I can go for months without "needing" or thinking about dark chocolate and then BAM!! next thing I know I'm eating dark chocolate every day for a month before the craving disappears. Earlier this summer I had a really long dark chocolate craving binge. Right now I have 2 extra dark BRIX 8oz bars sitting on my shelf. They've been there for 3 weeks and I don't even think about them.

Sometimes when I'm craving dark chocolate I will challenge myself "No chocolate until the weekend". Sometimes it works, sometimes I just go overboard when the weekend comes...

It will pass

Breathe

You've just started right? Give yourself a break. How many other things have you given up in the past 4 days? Dark chocolate is not the worst thing you could be eating. If it keeps you from eating all the other things you've given up then it's not so bad. As you said, you're just starting this "lifestyle change". It IS just that. A lifestyle. NOT a 30 day crash diet. If you need to take baby steps. Then take baby steps.

Should you restart? Your call.
    Are you doing a 30 day "Whole 30" type crash/elimination diet? OR are you making a lifestyle change?

Here's a suggestion:
    When you are eating your dark chocolate, eat it mindfully. Don't guiltily shove it in your mouth in the pantry. Sit down and really enjoy every bite. Take your 1/2 bar and break it up into tiny pieces. Put it on a fancy little plate. Slowly suck on one little piece at a time. Let it melt in your mouth. Really taste it. Enjoy it. Don't read, surf the net or talk. Experience the chocolate.

Pretty soon, (not the 1st day, but soon) you will find left-over chocolate on your plate. You will be satisfied with less. Put it away for the next day. When that happens, try breaking up a 1/3 of a bar. And then a 1/4. One day, because you are not depriving yourself or thinking "I shouldn't eat this", you will realize "Hey, I didn't want chocolate today...hmmm imagine that"

Then before you know it, you will think "Hmm, when was the last time I ate chocolate" and you will realize it's been a month!

(And then, just when you think you have the "problem" licked. BAM the craving will hit you again. )

Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    Throw it out of your house and don't buy it anymore.
    Easier said than done.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think there's nothing wrong with having some dark chocolate. Make sure its REALLY dark, though. 70% is not dark enough. Go for 85 or 90%. It seems way easier to not overdo it when it's super dark. Also, get some crio bru and have a cup of that. Oh my god that is like the essence of everything you hope for from chocolate but it's like a cup of tea or coffee.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    I have to go with the "don't buy it" notion here. If its not in the house, you won't be tempted. This is what commitment is all about. You have made the decision to do something about your health, so stop doing that which you know is counter productive to that end. It will get easier. Its not like you can never have it again. Just give it a break for a bit and see what kind of results you get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast