Thread: Sunflower seeds page

Sunflower seeds

Primal Fuel
    my husband and I are about to start primal and we both enjoy the shelled sunflower seeds. Is this going to be an issue with primal? I know you are able ot eat nuts and seeds on primal, just wonder if snacking on this salty snack all day is going to conflict with getting healthy

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texasblackrose View Post
    my husband and I are about to start primal and we both enjoy the shelled sunflower seeds. Is this going to be an issue with primal? I know you are able ot eat nuts and seeds on primal, just wonder if snacking on this salty snack all day is going to conflict with getting healthy
    "All day"?? Yes, that's way too much omega-6s. And besides that, tons of fat calories to boot. There are better sources for fat, good ol fatty meat & fatty fishies, but also look @ & use butter, ghee, coconut, red palm, olive oil, & just lots of eggs too, which imo are one of nature's most perfect foods.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

I also LOVE them but I know I can eat way more than necessary if I am not paying attention. I started weighing them out for a serving and that is all I will eat. If I eat them right from the bag I can finish it in no time! I also don't buy them all the time, and when I do, I buy a small bag. Eating them as a snack, occasionally, isn't going to hurt you. Eating them all day, may not hurt you immediately but no one needs that many calories from nuts, or that much salt during the day. I will probably never give them up completely, but I managed to cut way back on my consumption of them and they are more of a treat.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    I have a farmer's market nearby, and they sell raw, unsalted sunflower seeds.
    I keep them around for those times when I want a little something extra after a meal.

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member
    I love sunflower seeds, my favorite snack. I also get the raw, unsalted seeds.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    We get fresh sunflower seeds and dry roast them in a pan. Yummy.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    We get fresh sunflower seeds and dry roast them in a pan. Yummy.
    Awesome.
    It doesn't take many of them to satisfy me, and they're pretty cheap too.
    They're my "go to" snack, along with olives.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    you shouldn't be snacking on anything "all day." eat 1, 2, or 3 times a day. eat meals that satisfy. the end.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texasblackrose View Post
    Define snacking all day...

As others have said, if you are truly snacking all day, then yes, they will be a problem. Anything will be a problem. That's a lot of calories that you're not aware that you are eating. If you're starting primal for weight issues in addition to health issues, then one of the things that I know I had to work on was the snacking and learning to eat meals and not snacks. I'm still working on that, quite frankly.

Get rid of the sunflower seeds completely for a while and then if you just miss them desperately, go with raw seeds and not the roasted, salted ones. Unless you're doing the roasting, you don't know what kinds of oils they are using and it's generally way more salt than you need. A handful of raw sunflower seeds on a salad are great, though.

Paleobird Guest
    I love a tahini (sunflower seed butter) sandwich on Free the Animal Fat Bread. That's lunch for me. I agree with what has been said about constant grazing. As Mr. Stanton at the Gnolls site says, "Eat like a predator, not like prey".