Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warning, conspiracy theory! page 3

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    The thing with permaculture type growing is you work with what you have got to give maximum yeild for minimum effort. Ooop 'ere in yorkshire that means poly-tunnels for owt delicate (ie not artic adapted) I went to visit a project that is part of Incredible Edible Todmordon, they are growing on about an acre of canal dredgings dump - In one corner CW tells you one corner is too damp to access or grow anything - solution - raised beds and duck boards - that corner dosn't even need watering A problem is just waiting to be turned into a clever solution, and it works everywhere, it just required brain-power and physical labour rather than throwing chemicals and irrigation at any bit of land and hoping it works.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Polyface is in Virginia. AFAIK that's a fairly wet and productive state. The majority of the farmland in the US probably can't yield as much per acre sustainably, especially in the Southwest and drier parts of the Midwest. Of course what we are doing now can't feed anyone sustainably, so there you go. But I don't think it's as simple as exporting Polyface-style permaculture across the country--each ecosystem will require unique approaches and yield different amounts of different crops/animals. We could sure as hell do a lot better than we are now, though.
    True. I'm here in Vegas, and we can pretty much grow rocks and strippers. Not much else. And it's that way for miles and miles in each direction.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    True. I'm here in Vegas, and we can pretty much grow rocks and strippers. Not much else. And it's that way for miles and miles in each direction.
    I now have an image of a stripper tree in my head
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    I now have an image of a stripper tree in my head
    Got one in the backyard right now.

But it's a Chippendale's variety. The Boyfriend is NOT happy.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Natureman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-Tao View Post
    These corporations hire lobbyists who contribute to political campaigns to assure the farm subsidies that are paid for by the taxpayers.
    Politicians are corporate whores, plain and simple. I have always noticed that most people could care less about being healthy. Most like the idea of eating and living as they want and then just pop a pill to fix anything that may go wrong. It's not just the government and pharma...it's the people as well.

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Natureman View Post
    Politicians are corporate whores, plain and simple. I have always noticed that most people could care less about being healthy. Most like the idea of eating and living as they want and then just pop a pill to fix anything that may go wrong. It's not just the government and pharma...it's the people as well.
    +1,000

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    I love how this thread evolved. All the way to growing your own strippers!

Nycteris is offline Junior Member
    Hubby's from Vegas so I can relate to the growing strippers part, but back to the conspiracy stuff.. is it still a conspiracy if we all KNOW that it's going on?

Seriously though, I am refreshed to see that I am not the only one who asks the "hard" questions - my boss teases me about my conspiracy theories where food is concerned - I've had them for years but no one would listen to me so I quit talking. Now when I hear folks like you guys talk with facts and sources, I am the listener. Thanks for doing the homework.

And remember the Declaration of Independence, "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their DUTY, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security." "their duty" - they is us.
    SW 260 lbs
    CW 194 lbs as of February 13, 2013
    GW 150 lbs
    PB start date: June 16th, 2012

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Carbs are cheaper, 'nuff said.

There are, unfortunately, people in this world who are so poor that all they can literally afford is rice, wheat, and corn (and maybe on occasion, some beans). Rather than simply let them starve, I'd tell them to eat up!

We will never be able to move from our dependence on carbs until we learn to fix the problems of the poor. And frankly, that may never happen.

To dive in on the conspiracy theory a little bit though, to eliminate carbs from our diet would throw a wrench in our economies that would be so catastrophically large... I wonder if it would be even worse than the global economic disaster that we're ALREADY facing!

Nycteris is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Carbs are cheaper, 'nuff said.

There are, unfortunately, people in this world who are so poor that all they can literally afford is rice, wheat, and corn (and maybe on occasion, some beans). Rather than simply let them starve, I'd tell them to eat up!

We will never be able to move from our dependence on carbs until we learn to fix the problems of the poor. And frankly, that may never happen.

To dive in on the conspiracy theory a little bit though, to eliminate carbs from our diet would throw a wrench in our economies that would be so catastrophically large... I wonder if it would be even worse than the global economic disaster that we're ALREADY facing!

I think you are right on there... I mean what a point to ponder. A disaster of biblical proportions I would say. Just a thought, Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed, not for their immorality, but for their refusal to care for the elderly and the poor. I don't know, though, if I were poor(er) and had to choose between an ugly death from starvation and long drawn out virtually painless death from grains... what would I choose? Well, I know don't currently ever want to go back to grains, I would feel compelled to find another way. Oh, but not Soylent Green either. =)
    SW 260 lbs
    CW 194 lbs as of February 13, 2013
    GW 150 lbs
    PB start date: June 16th, 2012

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast