Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The lower carb I eat the more weight I gain??? page

kiwigal is offline Senior Member

The lower carb I eat the more weight I gain???

Primal Fuel
    I have a serious problem that I desperately need help with. I originally had 30 pounds to lose and was able to pull off 10 with the primal/paleo plan. Now I am stuck. From everything I read I am told to go into deep ketosis. I have tried several times at lowering my carb level down to 20 grams per day. Why of why does the scale go up every time I do this?? Does my body think it's in starvation mode???

Has anyone gone through the same experiences. I need a little help pulling off the last 20 pounds.

Thanks guys!!!!

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    How long have you been living primal? What are your stats (height, weight, etc.)?
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Hey. I have been living primal since December 2011. I am 5'1 and currently weigh 143 pounds. I am still considered overweight and need to get down to at least the 120 range. I have been walking for exercise. Wondering if I need to bump it up, eat less, increase carbs, decrease carbs.
    I am very insulin resistant and have huge amounts of problems even losing weight.

Thanks for helping!!!

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    Kiwi I am 5'4 and although I did lose most of my weight with some regain after I started having higher blood sugar issues (insulin resistance) my weight started increasing no matter what I did until I started eating less overall and splitting it into 3 small meals (different from my dinner only regime). Now my sugars are stabilizing and the weight is coming off and I seem stable finally.

Breakfast 7:30-8-boiled egg and coffee followed by 1-1.5 hr walk.
    lunch 12:30-1 -salad with living lettuce, radish, cuke,baby carrots, grape tomato, peppercini, and 1 fried egg(fried in a healthy fat-no other dressing)10 grapes or 1/3 C berries after
    afternoon walking or boogie boarding, hiking etc 1-2 hours
    Dinner 4:30-5ish:50-60 gr protein, cooked veggies (1/2-1 C) grassfed butter, avocado (1/4)

That seems like so little food but I had an epiphany a while back that for me n=1 to be smaller I must learn to eat smaller. At first I was hungry all the time now I am never hungry except right before meal time!

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Just reading around and I'm starting to think that the weight plateau is part of the (healing?) process, your example is typical of what I've read. It seems to be a clearly defined position physiologically, where weight just falls off, to a point, then it just won't budge, seems the theory is body going into starvation mode and reducing resting metabolism rate, it doesn't matter if you do it by calorie restriction or by calorie expenditure, your body just becomes more efficient & protective of that final bit of fat.
    Your body may have other processes & repairs that are required before it is prepared to shed any further weight or maybe some insulin sensitivity improvements may be required.

You said 30 to lose at start of year, lost 10 on primal, 20 to go. Did you lose significant weight before the primal experience, how long?, how much? have you been overweight prior to this, you may be chasing too much too fast.
    I'm sure others will have a few different suggestions through their own experiences.
    Last edited by Omni; 08-30-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Just reading around and I'm starting to think that the weight plateau is part of the (healing?) process, your example is typical of what I've read. It seems to be a clearly defined position physiologically, where weight just falls off, to a point, then it just won't budge, seems the theory is body going into starvation mode and reducing resting metabolism rate, it doesn't matter if you do it by calorie restriction or by calorie expenditure, your body just becomes more efficient & protective of that final bit of fat.
    Your body may have other processes & repairs that are required before it is prepared to shed any further weight or maybe some insulin sensitivity improvements may be required.

You said 30 to lose at start of year, lost 10 on primal, 20 to go. Did you lose significant weight before the primal experience, how long?, how much? have you been overweight prior to this, you may be chasing too much too fast.
    I'm sure others will have a few different suggestions through their own experiences.

Thank you so much!!!! Its kind of annoying that its taking this long to get the weight off!!! Yes I have always struggled with getting weight off. The only way I can get any weight to move is if I get into calorie restriction. Unfortunately that is maybe what I will have to do!!!
    I appreciate everyone's help so very much!!

Paleobird Guest
    You didn't say how many calories you eat in a day.

Reducing carbs is great but that has to be done in the overall context of calories. If you are still eating too much food, you won't lose weight regardless of perfect macro ratios.

Also eating too much protein can prohibit you from getting into ketosis.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Kiwigal, Its great to hear from other Kiwis out there. We could just about start a primal all black team. I too am suffering greatly with the plateau thing. I find if I have a wine (sugar,sugar,sugar), the scale moves up rather than down the next morning.
    I am in the process of IF, and calorie reduction. So am hoping that this might propell me forward again. I still have 19kg to lose..... so a bit of a journey still !

Good luck with your quest
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Just reading around and I'm starting to think that the weight plateau is part of the (healing?) process.
    I hadn't read anything scientific, but this is what I have been thinking, when I think about it, which is only when I am stuck. It just needs to settle in, then it is ready to proceed. I don't know, but it sounds good

OP, there is a thread that might be helpful. Not sure what it is called, but something like "MOAR Fat" which might help you figure some things out. Like maybe your carbs are low enough but maybe your other macros are off, such as protein too high or fat too Low. And then there is still the whole CICO debate and I am still not sure which side of the fence I am on, but I do track it all and try to stay under X amount. Just don't want to take any chances
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Paleobird is absolutely right, you must count your calories. Calories controll weight loss, if you arn't losing you are simply eating too many calories

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast