Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: REVERSE CW Moments page 4

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Not a Type 1 diabetic.
    All the accounts I've seen of type 1 diabetics who went primal seem to indicate they need a lot less insulin. So she was right.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    I've come to the realization that there is no such thing as a low-carb low-fat diet. It usually turns into a low-carb low-fat diet with lots of carb cheats.
    Or it's a low-carb low-fat diet with lots of toasters ready to be flung into your bathtub. And then lots of Paxil once your boyfriend pries you from the bathroom and makes you go to the doctor.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Er - sounds very much like you are confusing that with weight watchers. It's generally a less extreme and more measured version of Atkins.

It promotes eating plenty of vegetables which happen to be low fat. It is certainly a high-fat diet and obviously high protein.
    I don't actually know what's on the WW diet. But we have the South Beach Diet on the book case and I took a look and it was all about avoiding fat. Sure you can have a little but mostly it was horrible dry diet food. They even warned against liver. I mean, come on! Liver is the most healthy thing you can eat.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    All the accounts I've seen of type 1 diabetics who went primal seem to indicate they need a lot less insulin. So she was right.
    I guess it depends on what you think 'treatment' means. I agree eating low carb helps control insulin responses. But I don't think it restores pancreatic function.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Not a Type 1 diabetic.
    Must be an American thing? Over here this is what we call Type 1

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzielou View Post
    Must be an American thing? Over here this is what we call Type 1
    Sorry I just saw the above post, when I said 'treatment' I meant in conjunction with insulin therapy, not a 'cure' obviously.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Saw a large woman at Whole Foods with her food and a drink. Was expecting her to sit down with a sandwich and a diet soda, but to my delighted surprise, she had sauted collards, a chicken leg, and some sweet potatoes on her plate! And her drink was kombucha

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    DD started high school and has a combined gym/health class. The gym portion is standard games, with a focus on teamwork, and "fitness" training, with a focus on measuring improvements. They have a tricked out work out room with all the machines and a nice free weight set up. Most of the kids are fixated on the ellipiticals and the climbing wall, but they learn to use everything.

The biggest shocker to me was a lesson on weight, diet and exercise. The usual CW on food, but when discussing exercise the teacher said (as reported by DD), "Yeah, you can burn a lot of calories running, but if you really want to burn calories, you need to lift weights, and heavy stuff so you get stronger, because your muscles are what really burn the calories and they'll do that 24/7 if you just make them stronger." Now if they could just get over the low fat, healthy grains mantra.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Drew the blood of a morbidly obese woman who had lost 100 pounds by eating more fat. It's happening, the world is changing. I'm seeing it from the inside.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    I guess it depends on what you think 'treatment' means. I agree eating low carb helps control insulin responses. But I don't think it restores pancreatic function.
    Actually, there was a remarkable success story with a six year old child, I think it was. She was diagnosed Type 1 Diabetes, and her parents were trying to help and tried a strict paleo diet. Her pancreas must not have been completely gone, because the function came back. But I would imagine this would only work on newly diagnosed children.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast