Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: REVERSE CW Moments page 2

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yesterday I was at a vegetarian friend's house and he was going to cook for me. Then he served me some creamed vegetables with a big piece of meat (also for himself). I said "I thought you were vegetarian". Then he said "Yeah but I heard this was healthy"
    Billie trips balls

GeoMike is offline Junior Member
    My parents, who were both very overweight, were advised by their physician to go on a low carbohydrate diet. He suggested Atkins, South Beach, the Paleo Diet, etc....

GeoMike is offline Junior Member
    Oh, and after I had done a bunch of research in the medical journals, read Gary Taubes's Good Calories, Bad Calories, then read The Primal Blueprint, I discussed all of this dietary information with my brother-in-law -- who is a cardiac intensivist. He went on an absolute tirade about how Congress had unjustly attacked Dr. Atkins, among other physicians promoting a low-carbohydrate diet. We discussed insulin, leptin, neuropeptide-Y and various other hormones at some length immediately following his incredibly exasperated outburst at the state of nutritional medicine and how useless dieticians are.

I promptly started following the PB the next day. Three-and-a-half months later I'm down from 230 lbs to 190 lbs, off my blood pressure medication (which I was put on about two years ago at age 27), off all of my asthma and allergy medication, off the daily handfuls of omeprazole which I used to treat my LPR, and my cystic acne has all but disappeared.

About two weeks after our conversation, my brother-in-law started on his own version of a low-carbohydrate, wheat-free diet, and I think his wife just read the PB.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    It's consternating how many folk admit to doing much better on South Beach and other diets higher in saturated fat, yet revert to low-fat CW diets just because they have to follow the herd. My parents included :-(
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    It's consternating how many folk admit to doing much better on South Beach and other diets higher in saturated fat, yet revert to low-fat CW diets just because they have to follow the herd. My parents included :-(
    They still think that a diet is a temporary thing. Someone told me "I tried Atkins. Atkins doesn't work, because when I went back to regular diet I gained the weight back." Dude, said, you can't go off Atkins. Ever. This is something I have stressed to Co-workers 1 and 2. "I'm sorry, it's radical, it's permanent."
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Really, is the South Beach diet higher in saturated fat? I ask because it's been laying on the side table next to my boyfriend's chair. We had an argument yesterday about whether dietary cholesterol raises your blood cholesterol. I told him to ask his doctor or cardiologist. He took that as a dare he thinks he's going to win.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Ew, no, the South Beach diet is full of low fat/non-fat cheese, non-fat yogurt, turkey, non-fat this, low-fat that and admonitions to avoid all kinds of healthy stuff, including liver.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    I was at my relatives' house recently for a cookout, and when I looked at their buffet spread, I realized that, apart from breading on the baked chicken (they left the breading off of mine!) and some breadcrumbs used to prepare meatballs, everything else was primal! Shrimp, scampi in drawn butter, steak, chicken, primal-friendly veggie side dishes, fruit for dessert. I'll admit that my relatives *did* go out of their way to ensure that there was "something" I could eat there, but it was nice to see that everyone else, normally accustomed to grains & sugars, also enjoyed an almost totally primal feast and didn't seem to notice the absence of breads and sweets.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Ew, no, the South Beach diet is full of low fat/non-fat cheese, non-fat yogurt, turkey, non-fat this, low-fat that and admonitions to avoid all kinds of healthy stuff, including liver.
    I've come to the realization that there is no such thing as a low-carb low-fat diet. It usually turns into a low-carb low-fat diet with lots of carb cheats.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A good friend's 5 year old daughter was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. When a friend of hers ( who happens to be a dr) visited them in hospital, the first thing she said was that the whole family should immediately go Primal. Best treatment for a diabetic that she could think of!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast