Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home economics page 2

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Here's a cleaning tip: I use Hydrogen Peroxide ( I get it at the Dollar Store) and baking soda to keep my sink white and I also use it on cutting boards. We have a grey water system so I'm careful about the cleaners I use.

BTW Sbhikes I made the pistachio pesto and it's fantastic!

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    My frugal "waste not, want not" thing is when I'm peeling or chopping veggies, I save the scraps that would normally go into the garbage (onion skins, carrot peels, the hard fibrous center spine of kale, etc...) in a ziploc baggie in the freezer. When the baggie gets full, I boil everything in a big pot on the stove and end up with a ton of veggie broth.

I usually freeze the veggie broth in small containers and use it later in soups or to cook rice in, or even to add to meat to make a nice sauce.
    But doesn't this deprive the chickens on the backyard their daily treat?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    But doesn't this deprive the chickens on the backyard their daily treat?
    Yeah, I keep meaning to save bones for bone broth but then my dog gives me those sad puppy eyes and I melt.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have to admit that even though it's sort of wasteful, I get way better broth from bones I purchase specifically for bone broth rather than bones from my steaks or whatever. My butcher really knows what he's doing with the soup bones. They cut a ball joint in quarters and leave some of the meat with all that connective tissue and stuff in it attached. They also sell pig's feet sliced lengthwise. Put a pig's foot in there with the soup bones and you get beef jello! It's delicious! But I saved all the meat from the bones and I saved the feet. I might nibble them for lunch.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    So, I see this is where the girls from Home Ec class are gathering after school... Are boys allowed? I was only 1 of the 2 other boys in my Home Ec in high school, it was chock full of future wives & mothers. Many fond memories of licking bowls & making jokes...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Home ec was a requirement for everyone when I was in Jr. High. So was sewing, shop and woodshop. I think home ec was an elective in high school but might have been required because I remember guys in there. Anyway, I'm kinda finding it fun to reuse and be creative while avoiding waste.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    not being skeered to shop in ethnic markets has saved me lots. we've discussed how much cheaper offal can be there, as well as veggies, spices and stuff like garlic and jalapenos.

buying off-cuts, like pork belly, is super-cheap and the meat is so rich, a little really goes a long way.

bone broth has been a real game-changer for me, health-wise, appetite-wise and $$$$-wise. 1st meal today was beef broth with about 1/2 bag frozen spinach and 3 oz. of braised beef. low-carb, low-cal and i am stuffed.

eta: i don't skim the fat, but use a little hunk of it in each bowl of broth i eat, instead of adding butter or oil.

i haven't been "saving" bones, because i too prefer the meatier, sturdier ones like soup and neck bones. i do pull that meat off the bones after a few hours and freeze it for later use to eat in the broth.

we had some farmer's market tomatoes that were too sad to eat raw, so i cooked them slowly with some fennel seed, thyme, garlic and olive oil. like a confit, til they were very mushy. poured that over some spinach fritters we had with dinner.

i never took home ec, but my economic status changed pretty dramatically about 3 years ago, so i do what's needed.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 09-02-2012 at 07:38 AM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12