Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Biggest bang for the buck page 3

BOMO is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCruz Carter View Post
    Buying and cooking in bulk helps too. I live alone and will make a HUGE pot of spagetti sauce and put it in tupperware or zip locks when its cool. I then can use this as a base for a lot of things and even with meat comes out to a buck or 2 per meal. Good eggs should be a priority since they can be eaten all the time, are protein rich and the commercially produced stuff scares me with all the GMO grains they are being fed and the breeding ground for diseases their living conditions are.

Even in the midwest there will be an ethnic market around, it may look dingy from the outside, but the meat and produce will be cheap on the inside. Ask the local taco truck where they get their meat.
    Yeah, I'm talking small town. We don't have taco trucks and our Mexican restaurant buys their stuff at Walmart. My best luck buying offal would be from a farmer.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    i've been bringing beef heart as lunch to work most days this week or so. people peer in my container and ask what it is, i just say "beef." it's all cut up in tiny pieces, over veggies. this avoids other people's squick factor. i just don't feel like having the conversation with somebody who is eating a special k bar, ya know?

sb, i think you're forgetting, or don't realize, how far removed most americans from any kind of realization about their food sources and that their stryo-packed, shrink-wrapped meat comes from a WHOLE living animal.
    Yeah, I guess. But the tails and toes I bought also came shrink-wrapped on styrofoam. I guess I'm just a little bit more willing to try new things. And also it makes me very happy to have that extra cash in my pocket.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    protein and fat is the key to this diet. you do not need vegetables to survive or to be healthy. there is a lot of confusion on here about people making this a plant based diet. the true paleo diet was heavily meat based and in some cases it was 100% meat. check out my post here
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65123-4.html

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Funny story: I was shopping with my kids and they were all excited that there were pigs heads in the offal section. "can we get one? yay!". An elderly asian woman next to me (who I noticed was buying pigs trotters) asked me "I thought that only vietnamese people eat pigs heads? How do you eat it?". I said we roasted it (as a brawn), and then asked her how she cooked it. Her reply: "I'm not vietnamese". Burn.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Interesting, how long do you roast if for and at what temp? I am a pork fanatic but have never had the delicacy of the head.

BOMO is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Funny story: I was shopping with my kids and they were all excited that there were pigs heads in the offal section. "can we get one? yay!". An elderly asian woman next to me (who I noticed was buying pigs trotters) asked me "I thought that only vietnamese people eat pigs heads? How do you eat it?". I said we roasted it (as a brawn), and then asked her how she cooked it. Her reply: "I'm not vietnamese". Burn.
    I don't care who you are, that's funny!

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by BOMO View Post
    Wow! $3.15/lb is amazing! That's about as cheap as CAFO from Walmart. I haven't contacted all of the Farmers in the area (adds to the to-do list).
    Ya I this is something I learned on the forum, I was struglling with the amount it costs for organic meats etc, found a farmer in my area and it actually works out to 4.50/lb for like amazing quality meats. It is the way to go for sure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123