Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nutrition/Carbs for Newcomer? page

Catrin is offline Senior Member

Nutrition/Carbs for Newcomer?

Shop Now
    First of all I am a very active person, and I am struggling with getting enough carbs. I also have a journal here (Primal Journal: Catherine (Goal: leaner, faster, stronger). This is what I ate yesterday and it also shows my exercise for the day.I am on day 12 of my first 30 days. I wasn't eating processed foods before, so all I had to do was to drop the grains, stop consuming large amounts of non-fat dairy. I still have a cup of whole milk a day, though once my body is adjusted to the rest I will try a dairy free experiment to see how that feels.

I am having problems even getting 70 grams of carbs, and I know I need more than that. I don't want to break 100, but I am too active to cut them overly low. I don't care for sweet potatoes though I can choke them down - and I need to find some way of evenly dividing my carb intake throughout the day and not save them for fruit with dinner.

My protein intake is the same as it was before - but I think my fat intake yesterday was a bit high and the carbs a bit low. Opinions? Normally my lunch salad has more variety of veggies but I needed to go shopping.

My energy levels are pretty good, have had some instances of fluctuation but I don't think I am in "carb flu", at least not yet.

Yesterday:

B: 3 eggs sauteed in coconut oil with spinach and mushrooms, coffee

1 hour group training session - I hit the leg press machine afterwards pretty hard.
    14 ounce Muscle Milk (I know this isn't especially good for me but this was the best choice I had at the time)

1 boiled egg before a 45 minute easy bike ride a couple of hours later

L: Lots of baby mixed greens topped with 4 ounces grass-fed ground beef and a bit of olive oil

D: 1 tin Sardines in olive oil, olives and red peppers (never had sardines before!), roasted kale chips - roasted them in coconut oil as an experiment). 1/4 honey dew melon. 1 cup organic whole milk

Calories: 2,002 (met my hard workout day calorie goal - I have to track as I've a problem getting enough calories if I do not)
    Breakdown: Fat 156.1g (66%), Carbs 67.5g (13%), Protein 115.6g (22%)

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    More veg? . If you really need the carbs you could add some rice as well.
    If your energy levels are good then you may be getting better at using your fat stores and it may not be an issue.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    It's a fallacy that you need a lot of carbs for exercise. Phil Maffetone, www.philmaffetone.com - Fitness
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    If you feel ok with current carb level, why change? Certainly I wouldn't "choke down" anything I didn't like. There are a lot of higher carb veg is you really want to try getting higher % of carbs - beetroot, carrots, parsnips, yams, even white potatoes (I don't see much wrong with them). Or rice, as mentioned above.

I am 5ft10, 140 pounds, 15% BF, and usually consume well over 2000 cals a day, keeping my carbs under 10% (usually around 50g), fat about 55% and protein takes up the rest. I have constant levels of energy and train quite hard (4 heavy and intensive weight lifting sessions of over an hour weekly) and generally move quite a lot (fast walking well over an hour a day, some cycling or other "low intensity" cardio). On training days I burn 800-1000 calories (as measured by my HRM) in exercise. I do a "cheat" meal once a week when I consume something higher in carbs (normal/sweet potatoe mash, rice, a lot of fruit), on that day my carb intake usually goes up till 150. For now I feel happy with where I am.

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    It's a fallacy that you need a lot of carbs for exercise. Phil Maffetone, www.philmaffetone.com - Fitness
    Maffetone's work is great - low level aerobic work for long durations over time. He does advocate intervals once the aerobic base is built. Interestingly, his 180 -age to find max working HR equates quite well to be close to the 75% Heart Rate Max that Mark Sissons advocates for the long slow activities.

He also has quite a good section on diet, and the 2 week test eliminates ALL processed food, dairy, grains and legumes. Pretty much a primal diet, with carbs being very slowly introduced afterwards to find the tolerance level (sweet spot??)
    Last edited by PureFunctionalFitness; 08-30-2012 at 08:29 AM.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    potatoes, sweet potatoes, white rice, acorn squash, butternut squast, spaghetti squash, berries, fruit. all perfectly ok carb sources.

Very interesting read, I checked out his forum questions on carbs while/during racing and he made significant mention of the role of fat burning for those whose bodies have adjusted to it. He never once used the term "paleo" or "primal" but he certainly didn't say anything different. Thanks for the confirmation my feeling that he wasn't far off from Mark.

Thanks for the good comments - and I just need to buy more berries - I LOVE berries Squash...I need to figure out how to cook it as it's never really been in my diet but I can do that. I am being very careful with sugar - I've reversed diabetes 2 but am very "sugar shy", so need to be careful with what fruit I do eat.

Inesenite - thanks for sharing. It sounds like we have similar activity levels though our activities are a bit different. I also use a HRM to keep track - it keeps me honest. I am a mountain biker who also rides on the road, and do 2 intense group training sessions a week. I like the idea of a "cheat meal", considering my long rides can reach > 5 hours I think those are the perfect days on which to do that.
    Last edited by Catrin; 08-30-2012 at 08:41 AM.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I've personally found that once I become well-adapted to a low carbohydrate diet, I do have a lot more energy for physical activity. It's also more steady and reliable energy. I love being able to exercise strenuously without getting tired or hungry. I do some strength training and sprinting, but I don't make that my primary thing. I consider myself mainly an endurance activity person. I love hiking, walking, riding my bike to work, sometimes even slow running.

If you read more of Maffetone's website, he is not quite paleo or even low carb because he does advocate eating beans and some grains, just not refined grains (i.e. flour) or sugar. He recommends the Mediterranean diet but he has a page where he says that what people think is a Mediterranean diet and what it actually is are two totally different things, that a true Mediterranean diet has no pasta and has plenty of seafood and lamb. He also seems to be more against saturated fat than the Primal or paleo diets, although after I read his essay about what kinds of fats to eat, I was left with thinking maybe he just never considered the fatty acid profile of grass-fed ruminants in his suggestions.

I've ordered his Big Book of Health and Fitness and am waiting for it to arrive. It might actually contain information that could turn my boyfriend more toward the primal side, so even though I wanted the book for myself, I didn't get a kindle version because I plan to just leave it lying out somewhere where he might see it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Good comments sbhikes - I didn't look further than the discussion on carbs/exercise. Thankfully I've just my own diet to concern myself with - I can see how it can get challenging if we have a partner who isn't on board. I continue to be surprised at how well I feel - just waiting for that carb flu shoe to drop - perhaps I will be lucky

I found the calculations on MDA to determine our optimum macro-nutrient splits and was immediately floored. I keep forgetting that I am only 5'3, and as it turns out I am still getting too many carbs at 60 and 70! Using the lower range my carb split comes out to be only 27 grams of carbs (and Paleobird was kind enough to verify this for me). I am going to go with the higher end of the range which puts it at almost 50 grams of carbs daily - and to make this a bit more sustainable for me, I will use NET carbs.

So never mind, I am getting more than enough carbs. Perhaps this is why I've not seen this "carb flu" I've heard of, just a little minor energy fluctuations during a couple of hard workouts but that has resolved. Time to think about how to drop it a bit further...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast