Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is sugar really that bad for you? page

Lukey is offline Senior Member

Is sugar really that bad for you?

Shop Now
    So i was thinking. Sucrose is a natural product. All it is, is a disaccharide of the monosaccharides glucose and fructose. A basically 50:50 split of glucose and fructose. Glucose is perfectly natural and is used for energy easily by the body. Fructose on the other hand must be directed to the liver, and is fine in smaller amounts, but is said to become problematic when you take too much (it is estimated up to 50g a day is completely safe).

So my quesion is, why is sugar said to be so bad for you, when all it is, is glucose and fructose? Is it because of the fructose component? Because in that case you would need to have over 100g of sugar to reach 50 grams of fructose. If it is unhealthy becuase of it's effect on insulin, sucrose has a gi of 64, which is not bad by any means. Does anybody have any ideas as to why it's so bad? I know mark sisson has a post on sugars but it doesn't really explain WHY sugar is bad.

(all this being said, i never actually eat sugar, i am just curious to know why it's so slated in the health community).
    Last edited by Lukey; 08-30-2012 at 05:47 AM.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Sugar isn't that bad. It becomes bad in the amount some people consume, mainly in sodas but also some processed foods. People following this woe don't have to worry about sugar unless they're juicing a lot of fruit.

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    There is nothing inherently bad about it. But at the same time it is void of any nutrition, except energy. Because of that it's so much better to get all your glucose/fructose from veggies and fruit. They come with much better nutritional value and ingredients that help overcoming the negative incluence of, for ex., glucose - like fibers.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Yes it is the shear amount that the average person consumes these days. It is an insane amount and its day after day after day and eventually it WILL cause a systemic breakdown. As with all else, genetics determine how much and how long one can continue along this path before it manifests in disease. No different than smoking really. There is always that story of someone who is 105 and they've been smoking for 85 years and never had a problem! But then there are the millions who have suffered and shortened their lives and in many cases by decades.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    An interesting read Cut the Sugar - How to Build Muscle | Strength Training Workouts | Mass Gain Diet what is particularly interesting if accurate is the sugar consumption 100 years ago was about 4lbs per year now on average it is about 150lbs per year. In that kind of quantity it is definitely not good

A good watch as well Sugar the Bitter Truth Sugar: The Bitter Truth - YouTube and I have heard that Pure, White and Deadly is a good read and years ahead of its time.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 08-30-2012 at 06:13 AM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    Yes this is all exactly as i thought, it's just the whole health community slants sugar and says it is related to various diseases, but then recommends eating 5+ pieces of fruit, which are high in fructose? It just doesn't make sense. It seems like sugar is just another carb and that the only problems with eating excess sugar is the fructose content, or just too many simple carbs.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Pretty sure there was a post by Mark on fruit but my understanding the fibre content in fruit affects the rate and the amount of sugar absorbed by the body.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    I've been curious of the same thing, but I agree with the last point: simple vs. complex carbs. As much as I love love love fruit, I know if I have too much of it it will spell bad news for me. More complex carbs like squashes, sweet potatoes, and tubers in general make me more satisfied and feel better overall.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

I think the health community has a lot to answer for given the state of most of the people I can see across my office! Our neolithic ancestors might have eaten five pieces of fruit a day in summer, at certain latitudes, but I think it would be the exception not the rule. Also, much of the fruit we eat today has been selectively bred for sweetness.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Most of the fruit recommendations I see are at the front of the phrase 'fruit and vegetables'. Five fruits AND vegetables aren't so bad if you don't forget the vegetables and maybe switch the order. But five fruits a day, is too much sugar for most people out of their teenage years. And, when you consider the seasonality of fruit and original sweetness levels, just not what our bodies evolved eating.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast