Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Is sugar really that bad for you? page 6

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    As they say, the dose makes the poison.

Eating a bit of sugar or starch on occasion in the form of fruit, a sweet potato, or even a (SMALL) teaspoon in your coffee isn't necessarily "bad". Eating it more than occasionally is may even be okay, for active individuals.

The problem lies with sedentary individuals(who don't do anything to burn off glycogen reserves) eating excess quantities of sugar/starch, which the body can not deal with as quickly, resulting in elevated blood sugar, etc. for periods of time - and the problematic long-term impacts of doing that over many years.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsa23 View Post

Eating a bit of sugar or starch on occasion in the form of fruit, a sweet potato, or even a (SMALL) teaspoon in your coffee isn't necessarily "bad". Eating it more than occasionally is may even be okay, for active individuals.

The problem lies with sedentary individuals(who don't do anything to burn off glycogen reserves) eating excess quantities of sugar/starch, which the body can not deal with as quickly, resulting in elevated blood sugar, etc. for periods of time - and the problematic long-term impacts of doing that over many years.
    I tend to agree with this. Although sugar has no nutritional benefits beyond the energy it provides to us. So even active individuals who can justify higher carb intakes (and may even need it), can still do much better by consuming carb sources with more mineral and vitamin content such as carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, and berries.

There is nothing inherently WRONG with sugar as long as it's kept in balance with your activity levels, but I still think you can do better with a more nutritious source of carbs. Why chose a sources of carbs which has no health benefits if you can choose one that does? Just my two cents on the matter.

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    There seems to be a lot of mixed reviews here, some say it's not so bad and others say it's extremely bad. IMO i think that a bit of dark chocolate once a week is good but i still won't be eating any sugar apart from that.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsa23 View Post

So...when you are out somewhere, and want to sweeten your coffee, the white packet is better than blue, pink, or yellow? But a brown packet might be best if it's offered?

I use stevia, but my husband can't get his taste buds around it, and he requires coffee, and requires that it not be black. He's been dumping raw honey in his coffee at home, but when we are out his instinct is to use splenda, since that's what we used to use. Considering an otherwise primal meal, would a single packet of sugar be the most sensible option? I know Dufty is dubious about raw/turbinado sugar, but is there any new research about whether it is better than white?

Yes, this is full of irony, trying to make an optimal choice of an non-optimal choice. But, compared to the "weird stuff" floating around out there, plain old sugar looks less threatening, relatively speaking. Though, of course, in incredibly small amounts.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I'd personally go for a small amount of real sugar over artificial sweeteners. The less refined sugar may also have other nutrients that are processed out of white sugar.

Personally, I've weaned myself off sweetened coffee, but now and then when I go out for Indian food, I want a masala chai, and I prefer it with a little sweetness, so I'll add a little sugar (about 1/2 tsp). At home I'd use raw honey, but the small amount of sugar is an acceptable option from time to time. I think in the grand scheme of primal-ness, a tiny bit of sugar here and there is not the end of the world, it's when it becomes a regular dietary staple that it's an issue.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I'd personally go for a small amount of real sugar over artificial sweeteners. The less refined sugar may also have other nutrients that are processed out of white sugar.

Personally, I've weaned myself off sweetened coffee, but now and then when I go out for Indian food, I want a masala chai, and I prefer it with a little sweetness, so I'll add a little sugar (about 1/2 tsp). At home I'd use raw honey, but the small amount of sugar is an acceptable option from time to time. I think in the grand scheme of primal-ness, a tiny bit of sugar here and there is not the end of the world, it's when it becomes a regular dietary staple that it's an issue.
    Yea i agree, i would far rather consume a natural product like sugar than a chemically made sweetener like splenda. Also i too love indian food, the indian restaurant i go to does the best chicken tikka massala i've ever tasted. It's made with coconut, cream and butter and is gluten free too . It's a good primal option when eating out.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Same here. I don't drink much coffee, but I do drink iced tea. Decades ago, I used artificial sweeteners, but stopped when I was pregnant with my son (21 now). I just didn't like the idea of my unborn baby chugging down the chemicals. I tried real sugar, but it always sank to the bottom of the glass and I couldn't taste it. So I just stopped sweetening it altogether and just drink it plain now.

But I do feel like, assuming someone really HAS to have something sweetened, I would pick actual sugar. Lesser of about a dozen evils.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Oh, I definitely don't put sugar in my coffee or my tea (hot or iced). It's pretty much only masala chai or hot chocolate that I still feel the need to have a little sweet. Since those are "sometimes" foods and not daily staples, I don't worry too much about it.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, I thought the OP's question was a good one, and a lot of the responses seem pretty off base and reactionary.

I've read a bunch of those anti-fructose articles, and honestly, they don't make a lot of sense to me. In part, because I feel really good when I'm eating a lot of fruit, and in part because fruit and other forms of sugar also contain some quality nutrition.

Raw honey has tons of enzymes and even helps some people to not suffer from seasonal allergies. Molasses, which come from sugar cane has lots of minerals and is high in iron. And fruit has too many nutritional goodies to even list.

Plus, even though I'm only one person, I'm feeling significantly better since I added sugar back to my diet. (Or added it to begin with, since before I went paleo, I was likely eating mostly HFCS, and now I avoid that stuff like the plague.) My crippling fatigue has disappeared, my mood is much more postive and stable, and my hunger levels are surpringly low and I haven't gained any weight. It seems weird to me that something supposedly so bad could make such big improvements in how I feel.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast