Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Is sugar really that bad for you? page 5

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Sugar isn't bad, it's just not particularly good either.

You don't get any nutrients along with all those carbs. That's why if you want to consume carbs (nothing wrong with that), I'd suggest squash, sweet potatoes, carrots, berries, things richer in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    I cannot even believe we are having this conversation at Mark's site. Seriously.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post
    I cannot even believe we are having this conversation at Mark's site. Seriously.
    True story: It was company wide 'scone day' at morning tea today, so I went and helped myself to a plate of whipped cream topped with a little bit of raspberry jam (aka a scone-less scone). And was promptly engaged in a diet conversation with two women who had been hearing about the 'low carb' thing, since apparently they were both about to embark on a journey of discovery in that area. I let them know that kumara (sweet potato) was 'ok', which was a big relief to them. Probably makes the diet more achievable for them too.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    It seems we all agree the unhealthy aspect of sugar is the fructose then. Its really strange fruit has an exalted status in the health community compared to sugar.

Why is it so hard to believe people are discussing a health issue on the nutrition section of the forum?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Why are you being such a jackhole about this? The OP want to understand the mechanism by which cellular damage occurs in response to consumption of sucrose. Why is that so unreasonable to ask? He's not selling coco-cola...so just simmer down.

To the OP - Rob Wolf has a podcast where he discusses the damage cause by sugar intake. I recall that the damage was more significant in the context of excess caloric consumption compared to when one was at a caloric deficit. I can't recall the exact mechanism right now, but I will see if I can find the podcast number.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    It seems we all agree the unhealthy aspect of sugar is the fructose then. Its really strange fruit has an exalted status in the health community compared to sugar.
    You seem to keep parroting the same kind of statements which indicates you are either:
    * Too lazy to follow up some of the information provided to you.
    * You are mentally challenged.
    * You are a Troll.

Neither Glucose nor Fructose is bad in it self, but excesses of either or both can be detrimental to ones health, so go find out why.

Just another interesting bit of info, Fructose is the preferred fuel for sperm, so how could it be bad if the very process of reproduction is dependant on Fructose.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    sugar regularly is bad The Skinny on Obesity (Ep. 1): An Epidemic for Every Body - YouTube

and it appears that fructose may trigger the body into insulin resistance for the purpose of fattening up for lean months ahead. That would be true in all fruit eating animals, from the fruit-eating fish called a tambaqui to bears trying to get berries right now in preparation for hibernation. And it maybe (preliminary) that excess glucose can be converted in the body into fructose: Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Richard Johnson About The Fat Switch - YouTube
    Last edited by Scott F; 08-30-2012 at 07:40 PM.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    You seem to keep parroting the same kind of statements which indicates you are either:
    * Too lazy to follow up some of the information provided to you.
    * You are mentally challenged.
    * You are a Troll.

Neither Glucose nor Fructose is bad in it self, but excesses of either or both can be detrimental to ones health, so go find out why.

Just another interesting bit of info, Fructose is the preferred fuel for sperm, so how could it be bad if the very process of reproduction is dependant on Fructose.
    I was reffering to excess consumption of fructose, not just intake. I clearly stated this in my first post. Why are people getting so offended by this thread? I was out last night and didn't have time to read the articles so i just left a comment on what the majority of people where saying. Calm down.

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    I can't believe this thread has gotten to five pages without a single Ray Peat reference. I personally try to avoid to much sugar because it wreaks havoc on my figure. I eat something sugary and it makes me crave more, and I end up overeating. It just isn't possible for me to eat a pint of ice cream and a quart of orange juice every day and not get fat.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast