Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is sugar really that bad for you? page 2

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    An interesting read from Zoe Harcombe on the 5 a day recommendations. The UK is very big on the 5 a day but at least 3 portions should be veg which is not talked about. Other countries like Canada aim for 7-10 portions.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    You're not going to be consuming too much sugar in the form of fruit. Lustig has set people off on a complete irrational frutose phobia.
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/0...tose-alarmism/
    And no offense to zoe harcombe but she's pretty much a nutty zero-carb zealot. She even blames the obesity crisis on fruit. lol

Denise also debunked the whole "all modern fruit is much sweeter and worse than the fruit our ancestors ate"
    Wild and Ancient Fruit: Is it Really Small, Bitter, and Low in Sugar? Raw Food SOS
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 08-30-2012 at 06:57 AM.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    My bet is you did not read Mark Sisson's or Robb Wolf's book. Their body of work is based on 2.4 million years of human evolution in which sucrose/fructose was a very rare/seasonal item. We are not adapted to eating the amounts of sucrose from fruits and carbohydrates that most people consume 365 days of the year in our current time. See any fat people?

The only time fruit would have been available nearly year round would be living at the equator in a rain forest...and we did not spend our evolution living like chimpanzees in a very limited environment. Vegans would have you believe this is our natural diet but they are uneducated morons...another story.

Animals gorge on fruit to fatten for winter hibernation. Humans do not hibernate for months on end, just nightly on the couch stuffing their faces. Humans gorge on sugars just to get fat.
    Last edited by Moochy; 08-30-2012 at 08:26 AM.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Everyone is of course, different.

I can tell right away that eating fruit sets me up to want more carbohydrates.

I remember when I first read "Neanderthin' his simplistic explanation of the bio-mechanics of a HG finding a 'stash' of fruits, and his body doing the right things to make him want to just sit and eat and eat- putting down stores for the winter. (This is my even more simplistic re-telling.) A light-bulb went off for me. No wonder a handful of grapes wasn't enough.

At a time when fruit can be had every day, as much as I want, I need to exert the control that circumstances usually took care of. Maybe when I've healed my body so that it is working from health, I can eat more fruit.

For now, no way.

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    This is getting a bit off topic guys, i'm not talking about fruit i'm talking about sucrose. I know that mark sisson and robb wolf say it's bad for you, and it wasn't available for us to eat regularly, but WHY is it bad. It's just glucose and fructose
    Last edited by Lukey; 08-30-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    This is getting a bit off topic guys, i'm not talking about fruit i'm talking about sucrose. I know that mark sisson and robb wolf say it's bad for you, and it wasn't available for us to eat regularly, but WHY is it bad. It'a just glucose and fructose
    Here's a Sally Fallon take on that. She's interesting, too.

Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook That Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats: Amazon.co.uk: Sally Fallon: Books

So she says the sweet taste tells us that the fruit is ready to eat. When the fruit is ready to eat then, at the same time, its vitamin and mineral content is highest. The "sweetness" is a signal (maybe). But under modern conditions it no longer is.

Sounds plausible.

That being so, do you want to eat something that fakes that signal but is low in vitamins and minerals?
    Last edited by Lewis; 08-30-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: spelling

The only sucrose i ever eat is in dark chocolate once a week, so other than that i never eat it. This is all just out of curiosity.

otzi Guest
    I think that white table sugar is the worst, it is highly refined and goes through numerous chemical processes before it is the product we know and love. I keep a bag of turbinado sugar at home for ice tea or whatever on occasion. It is a product that comes out of the sugar factory just before they refine the hell out of it. It still contains several key nutrients, whereas white sugar has none. Turbinado sugar is basically dried molasses, which is even better, nutrient-wise.

I rarely add sugar to anything, but when I do, it's definitely not white table sugar.

The chocolate i eat for example, green and blacks organic 85% has 20g of sugar per 100g. They use organic cane sugar. If someone was to eat some potatoes and fruit, they would be ingesting glucose and fructose. If someone was to eat sugar, they would be ingesting glucose and fructose. Why eating potatoes and fruit is healthy, and sugar is supposidly very unhealthy, is beyond me.

bdilla is offline Senior Member
    It's not that "sugar" is bad for you. It's about what it eventually turns into in the body. When you eat a breakfast that by many standards would be considered healthy, such as a bowl of oatmeal, a piece of whole-grain toast, an apple, and some orange juice- every bit of that meal is going to turn right into blood glucose. It will cause a massive insulin spike which is going to drive fat storage while ensuring a glycolytic metabolism. Doing this often will eventually cause problems like weight gain, and with that comes the issues of atherosclerosis, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, etc.

It's also about context; if glycogen stores in the liver and muscle are depleted (say, from a fast) and you work out, you break down those muscles which then seriously need glycogen to rebuild. So you can and should eat a bunch of "sugar" after a workout, as it is likely to go straight to your muscles without being stored as fat.

An apple, or a similar amount of sugar in a candy bar; the only difference lies in what's in addition to the sugar. Obviously, as a health-conscious individual, you would want the apple. It is unprocessed, contains fiber, other vitamins, and is delicious. A candy bar contains nothing else of any benefit, and is highly processed. When it comes to fat loss, however, they are virtually the same thing; one sugar is not better than the other. It's still going to turn into blood glucose and spike your insulin levels.
    Last edited by bdilla; 08-30-2012 at 11:56 AM.
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast