Thread: Chocolate may prevent strokes! page

afsjesse is offline Senior Member

Chocolate may prevent strokes!

Shop Now
    From the BBC, a new study finds that consuming chocolate may prevent strokes. While I didn't read the study, the information in the article suggests that the information, which comes from participants voluntarily disclosing their dietary habits, is highly suggestive. But, it could be an excuse to have a couple more chunks of dark chocolate!

BBC News - Chocolate may protect the brain from stroke

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by afsjesse View Post
    From the BBC, a new study finds that consuming chocolate may prevent strokes. While I didn't read the study, the information in the article suggests that the information, which comes from participants voluntarily disclosing their dietary habits, is highly suggestive. But, it could be an excuse to have a couple more chunks of dark chocolate!

BBC News - Chocolate may protect the brain from stroke
    It's funny the regularity that these studies come out, and how the BBC and other media jump on them. The problem is that most people will just see this as an excuse to eat chocolate, to reduce their guilt :-) Same with Red wine. There are probably millions of substances in the world that can improve this, or reduce that, and many of them are probably in foods.

I prefer the idea of eating a diet that gives me good health, and combined with exercise, almost eliminates these risks (as far as you can). Sugar ain't good for you, and chocolate is full of sugar! Admitting that dark is better than milk, but the BBC showed a nice big bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk! Alcohol isn't good for you! I think that these studies do little to improve the health of the nation. Just my opinion.

afsjesse is offline Senior Member
    I read this as I eat my M&Ms.... lol just kidding! It does seem odd that these sort of stories do come out semi-regularly. It must be a plot by Hershey and Cadbury!!!!

sandokan2112 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PureFunctionalFitness View Post
    I prefer the idea of eating a diet that gives me good health, and combined with exercise, almost eliminates these risks (as far as you can). Sugar ain't good for you, and chocolate is full of sugar! Admitting that dark is better than milk, but the BBC showed a nice big bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk! Alcohol isn't good for you! I think that these studies do little to improve the health of the nation. Just my opinion.
    Its all about moderation. Eating a couple of pieces of dark chocolate (85%>) has very little sugar, contains healthy saturated fat and is one of the richest sources of polyphenols. The health benefits will outweigh the 2 grams of sugar in the chocolate.

And yes alcohol isnt good for you if you're an alcoholic or your body doesnt agree with it. If not then theres TONS of health benefits to having a glass of red wine with your meal. Even Mark Sisson has one to two glasses with his meal. Again its all about moderation. And in moderation the health benefits of dark chocolate and red wine will outweigh any negatie impact you think it may have.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I can't say I know the science behind it (vasodilator?) but I do know chocolate definitely affects my head. Pretty good migraine every time, and strokes tend to be related in some ways to migraines. For me, the more concentrated the chocolate, the worse it hits. Dark chocolate is just plain awful for me.

So I could see that it might have some kind of tie to strokes, be it preventing or initiating.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Cal. is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    CHOCOLATE MAY PREVENT STROKES!
    Probably true. If your dog was covered in chocolate, would you stroke him?