Thread: Eating Like Grok page

Mark7 is offline Junior Member

Eating Like Grok

Primal Fuel
    I think a great deal of us have managed to 'Eat What Grok Ate,' doing our best to fit this in around our lives after
    all good living is what this is all about.

But, How did Grok Eat?

After thinking that i should make some Pate to increase my liver intake, it got me thinking would Grok of killed an animal and only ate part of the liver and saved some for the next few days? i think not i suspect Grok would of consumed which ever part he felt was more nutritious and then continue to consume that kill until he could not eat any longer. At which point Grok probably fell into a nice deep sleep.

i can not see Grok eating 3 meals a day, Grazing perhaps with a big meal coming once a kill is returned to camp.
    Grok may of even had some calories prepared to take with him on his hunt as well as stumbling across the odd fruit tree or similar.

We can all agree that when a kill was made and food was available the kill was consumed until either Grok could no longer eat or all edible parts of the animal were consumed.

Which makes me wonder, how often would Grok of aimed to Hunt & Kill? How did Grok graze?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    This is funny...
    If you'd like to get technical there is good evidence that "Grok" (Geeezus... stop using that word already), OK... good evidence that early man also ate quite a lot of rather rotten seriously iffy foodstuffs, including off meat.

Eat good clean natural foods man.
    Stop trying to complicate your life.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Also what about the winter months when food was scarce? how did grok adjust his eating/lifestyle habits to cope with the cold weather? Did he/she eat copious amounts months leading upto the cold winter and use his/her fat stores to be able to survive? or did they move to where there was food available?

Has anyone seen the film 10000BC? If you haven't i'd reccommend it! Although it's not a major part of the film, there is an element of how/when our tribal ancestors moved from hunter gatherer to famer, raiser! Quite interesting and apparently anthropologically correct!

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the first comment - don't overcomplicate things. Listen to your body. Once I started doing so, I realized that I'm only really hungry for a meal twice a day, not three, and my meals are really large. (This is a big change to my former obsession of making myself eat 6-7 times per day at perfectly calculated times.)

If you want to eat one huge meal per day and konk out, go for it. If you want to graze all day and have one meal at dusk, do it. Listen to your body's cues and work with it.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I don't really see a problem with picturing grok, or even teasing out his activities as a brain exercise. I think what you come away with is the realization that nothing would be standardized. Which is kinda of a problem when creating a "program". Variation in time and what you eat based on availability. Variation in energy expenditure based on climate and other current needs. I believe this is why "listen to your body" advise is given. You just can't plan for that much spontaneity.

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    I read a really interesting book on Cro-Magnons a few months ago. Their lifestyle was remarkably similar to that of the Inuit, but with more access to large game. They would have eaten whatever they wanted on a fresh kill, and then preserved the rest by drying the meat (prehistoric jerky!). They would save animal fat also and eat that separately. At some points during the Ice Age, people in Europe may have only eaten a cupful of vegetables per year. Winters could last 9 months.

Reindeer were the main prey, but just about anything could be on the menu. Red deer, aurochs, smaller deer species, small game (foxes, rodents, etc.) They came up with a variety of ways to kill their prey. Reindeer would be ambushed at river crossings, herded into cul-de-sacs in canyons and then attacked, etc. The book detailed an aurochs hunting scenario where the hunters dug a large pit, and covered it with some dead leaves. They herded the aurochs into the pit, where they could then kill it with spears.
    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

Mark7 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skorpion317 View Post
    I read a really interesting book on Cro-Magnons a few months ago. Their lifestyle was remarkably similar to that of the Inuit, but with more access to large game. They would have eaten whatever they wanted on a fresh kill, and then preserved the rest by drying the meat (prehistoric jerky!). They would save animal fat also and eat that separately. At some points during the Ice Age, people in Europe may have only eaten a cupful of vegetables per year. Winters could last 9 months.

Reindeer were the main prey, but just about anything could be on the menu. Red deer, aurochs, smaller deer species, small game (foxes, rodents, etc.) They came up with a variety of ways to kill their prey. Reindeer would be ambushed at river crossings, herded into cul-de-sacs in canyons and then attacked, etc. The book detailed an aurochs hunting scenario where the hunters dug a large pit, and covered it with some dead leaves. They herded the aurochs into the pit, where they could then kill it with spears.
    Thanks skorpion317 I never even considered what may of happened during the last ice age or other long term freak weather conditions. Reindeer seemed to be key to survival in those conditions and not in terms of meat to consume.
    Do you have the name of this book?

This was more of a theoretical discussion than that of trying to put some kind of plan or detail step y step guide into action and as such listening to your body was a null response but i can understand why many of you believed this was the information i was looking for.

chrisay59 is offline Member
    Read "Clan of the Cave Bear" although fiction it is a really good read about ancient man!

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark7 View Post
    Thanks skorpion317 I never even considered what may of happened during the last ice age or other long term freak weather conditions. Reindeer seemed to be key to survival in those conditions and not in terms of meat to consume.
    Do you have the name of this book?
    Should be really easy to remember:

Cro-Magnon by Brian Fagan

I got it at my local Barnes and Noble.
    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."