Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kankersores from deficiency? page

source99 is offline Junior Member

Kankersores from deficiency?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi All,

I'm not sure if the timing lines up but I think I can find a correlation to an increase in kankersores in my mouth since I started low carb several years ago.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I know there are a million theories on what causes kankersores but I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts related to low-carb living?

Thanks

Darz is offline Senior Member
    I had them quite often before - but about 2 years ago when I stopped eating junk food and started eating a broader variety of whole foods they have since disappeared, I only get them by accidently biting the gums/lips when chewing. Though I don't follow a low carb diet.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I've never had them on low carb.

I did get them quite a bit in high school though when cutting significant weight for wrestling. I was putting my body through immense stress with the amount of working out I did on a calorie restricted diet. But back then I would cut all fat out of food and only eat like oranges and grapefruit juice and chicken breast or some such nonsense followed by a short fast.

So, I suppose in my situation it could have been the missing fatty acid profile in my diet. Or simply stress and calorie restriction/malnutrition.

You may simply not eat enough calories. Do you vary your vegetable intake with your low carb diet? Take any supplements?
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-30-2012 at 05:36 AM.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I stopped getting them when I started eating this way.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I used to get them in response to a lot of sugar and around my period. Since adapting primal, I haven't had them.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    I used to get them, but I could always line it up with lacking something. As in, mostly eating junk or no fruit etc. Now as long as I'm eating wisely I don't get them. However, if I go off the rails on vacation or something, I'm almost guaranteed that mean reminder.

I wonder if you are just follow carb, you may needs bit of citrus to keep them away.

jennifer

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I used to get them from eating too much sugar, getting too stressed, or having too much citrus. I don't have any issues with them on primal.

Acyclovir is for herpes, not cankersores. They are different things.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    My sister used to get them a lot when she was a kid (in the 70's). My mom would give her L-lysine and have her rinse her mouth with glysine. She would get them from eating too much citrus. Now she gets them when she's stressed. L-lysine is an amino acid and doesn't produce any side effects that I'm aware of. I was able to take 3,000mg per day while I was pregnant. I take it when I feel a coldsore coming on along with extra B12 and it stops it in its tracks. L-lysine is great for herpetic lesions and shingles. You can mega dose it by taking 1,000 mg 3-4 times a day.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I used to get them from eating too much sugar, getting too stressed, or having too much citrus......
    That would line up with my previous episodes especially the citrus part. I havent had one in over 10 years now though.

PrimalLizard is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    My sister used to get them a lot when she was a kid (in the 70's). My mom would give her L-lysine and have her rinse her mouth with glysine. She would get them from eating too much citrus. Now she gets them when she's stressed. L-lysine is an amino acid and doesn't produce any side effects that I'm aware of. I was able to take 3,000mg per day while I was pregnant. I take it when I feel a coldsore coming on along with extra B12 and it stops it in its tracks. L-lysine is great for herpetic lesions and shingles. You can mega dose it by taking 1,000 mg 3-4 times a day.
    ditto on the L-lysine. I would have recurring canker sores and my dentist recommended taking it. haven't had any issues since.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast